NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

New to Futures, but Hitting the Wall

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tradersam with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Lady with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 phantomtrader with 3 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one MiniP with 11 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lemons with 10 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Wizard3ootz with 8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,735 views
    2. thumb_up 135 thanks given
    3. group 302 followers
    1. forum 59 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

New to Futures, but Hitting the Wall

tradersam 
phx AZ US

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: sierra chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 484
Thanks Received: 267

MaxV89 View Post
You shouldn't be trading real money. Are you crazy? 3 weeks! Bro, you are going against PROFESSIONAL TRADERS, that have thousands and thousands of hours of screen time and experience.

Trade only the ES, use two contracts, scalp out at 1 point on the first, and breakeven on the second for a runner of 2-5 points or a Measured move once you get better. Once you can successfully do that, and double a sim account from 5k to 10k, you might be ready to DIP your toes in the water with real money. And double a sim account the right way, not doubling down, and letting losing trades turn into winning trades. This takes years and years of experience.

Also, Trading breakouts is ultimately a failing strategy, stay away from that.

Adding to the above,
Losing trades are best learning experience....observe how you feel..other losing tradrs are feeling same way...their emotions lead to price spikes in one way or another ( many times)....try to take other side of the trades where traders are trapped....learn about time compression, trapped traders,tull traps , bear traps.. just like real estate,,,location ( price level) is critical...also critical is timing and instinct to preseve capital.
my 2 c..

Good Luck
Sam

You can practise your skills all day long, but it's comparatively easy to get better at playing. The hard thing is to get better at winning--anonymous
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,424
Thanks Received: 26,276

You'll get probably more than you can digest in the way of advice, but here's a little more. Take from it what you think makes sense, if any.

1. Become a part of this community. It will support you. One way is to start a trade journal and publicly record your trades and your reasons for taking them. Openly discuss your mistakes as well as your triumphs. You will get feedback from others who have done the same as you, and have been in the same predicaments as you.

2. And speaking of the community, read other people's trade journals, interact with them and learn from what others are doing.

3. Trade initially in simulation, so you don't lose your money instantly. It goes fast. But, when you think you have a better handle on how you want to trade, switch to the micro contracts, which are real-money but not much of it, so you have the experience of true trading -- winning and losing something real -- but you can limit your risk and survive the learning curve.

4. Speaking of limiting your risk, have very clear and totally strict loss-limiting rules in place, such as, "I will only lose x amount per trade" or "y amount per day," and bail out when your limits are hit. Don't hold on beyond your own pre-set risk limits. (They have to be pre-set, because in the heat of trading you will find that your brain doesn't quite function right sometimes. )

5. Have a clear strategy that you are willing to implement consistently. You should know that every strategy will let you down at some point, so be ready to learn from its failings and keep improving.

I could go on and on, but this is more than enough. Keep your risk in your control, take part in the forum and learn by doing, just to boil it down.

Good luck. Everyone has been up against the same wall you have found. You're not alone by any means. It can be gotten around, or over, or through.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
spreads777
west palm beach fl usa

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

Google
What is day trading and should you do it authored by Motley Fool

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 985

If you want real help, the best thing to do is upload a few weeks of real time trades. Then describe what it is you're trying to do - what's your strategy, how do you calculate risk/reward, how you calculated your stop/profit target, what size chart are you using, are you using order flow.

Why did you decide to trade futures when you were already doing well in stocks? There's a lot of nuances with futures (by "nuances" I mean there's a lot of crap that goes on with futures). You need to get a handle on that.

There are a lot of traders on this board who may be able to give you some insight into your trading model. If you're incurring a lot of losses, then your trading model has to be looked at very critically and either corrected or dumped completely. Your win/loss ratio speaks for itself. You need to analyze trade-by-trade, compare execution to your model, figure out what went wrong and then how to fix it. When a bridge collapses, that's what an engineer would do. Trading is no different. Map it out in an Excel worksheet. Review all your trades in market replay.

Also, there's a wealth of information on this board - downloads, webinars, journals that people are writing daily. I'd recommend watching a lot of webinars from traders who have been there, done that.

Thanked by:
 Vaughn 
Apple Valley, CA 92307

Platform: NT7,8
Broker: NT7,8 Ninja/Dorman
Trading: ES, 6E, ZB,
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 2

Wizard, I've been in your shoes. Stop studying "Trading" and start studying the "Trader." That's where the magic is.

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 985

bobwest View Post
You'll get probably more than you can digest in the way of advice, but here's a little more. Take from it what you think makes sense, if any.

1. Become a part of this community. It will support you. One way is to start a trade journal and publicly record your trades and your reasons for taking them. Openly discuss your mistakes as well as your triumphs. You will get feedback from others who have done the same as you, and have been in the same predicaments as you.

2. And speaking of the community, read other people's trade journals, interact with them and learn from what others are doing.

3. Trade initially in simulation, so you don't lose your money instantly. It goes fast. But, when you think you have a better handle on how you want to trade, switch to the micro contracts, which are real-money but not much of it, so you have the experience of true trading -- winning and losing something real -- but you can limit your risk and survive the learning curve.

4. Speaking of limiting your risk, have very clear and totally strict loss-limiting rules in place, such as, "I will only lose x amount per trade" or "y amount per day," and bail out when your limits are hit. Don't hold on beyond your own pre-set risk limits. (They have to be pre-set, because in the heat of trading you will find that your brain doesn't quite function right sometimes. )

5. Have a clear strategy that you are willing to implement consistently. You should know that every strategy will let you down at some point, so be ready to learn from its failings and keep improving.

I could go on and on, but this is more than enough. Keep your risk in your control, take part in the forum and learn by doing, just to boil it down.

Good luck. Everyone has been up against the same wall you have found. You're not alone by any means. It can be gotten around, or over, or through.

Bob.

I always thought it would be a good idea to have a "group think" forum where people upload their real time trades specifically for analysis. Then describe what it is you're trying to do and perhaps get some help. I think the problem is that people are embarrassed that they're making lousy trades. But we all know that even the best traders make bad trades.

Very few people share in this business. It's always the "deep, dark secret". My journal consists of replay videos, particularly on days when nothing goes well. The market is visual. I'd upload a sample here but they're too big.

Anyway, just a thought.

Thanked by:
 KodaFT 
Los Angeles CA

Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

Check out Sam Seiden's Supply and Demand (Search for "5 years experience of {sam seiden} on supply & demand trading") This is by no means a strategy to be implemented to the T, but if you mold it to your trading style, it'll help with advantageous entries.

Also look into OrderFlow: (DOM, FootPrint, Delta) On YouTube you'll find a playlist by JigSaw called "Order Flow Trading Course by Jigsaw Trading" that gives great information.

Best of luck mate.

Thanked by:
 Tengoku 
Slovakia

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra chart, TT
Trading: Spot fx, stocks, futures, options, etps
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 28

Perhaps describe your approach show us a few of your bad trades with your opinion what should be done differently...

Waldemar 
Toronto

Platform: Multicharts
Trading: GC, CL, Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 1

my 2 cents:

Trading is counterintuitive complex game versus the beast that knows all your weak spots. But it is possible to master. Don't give up, believe in yourself.
1. stop trading immediately! for a while.
2. go and walk through historical charts, look for clues that form true signal vs. false breakouts.
3. form a hypothesis of your new augmented strategy.
4. go through mannual backtest over historical charts. do the work. no shortcuts.
5. when you regain your confidence get back to the markets and trade smallest size possible, nothing wrong with the micros for a while.

mramirezmario
Azcapotzalco+Mexico City/MEXICO

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

My dear friend, trading is so difficult if you can't understand market, alway trade in tendence.

Last Updated on December 13, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts