NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one incometrade with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 182,814 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

The "short the market on an unfilled upgap" trade made +2 pts. It had an MFE of +7.75 pts (21% of the previous day's range and 27% of the 5-day ATR) and an MAE of -1.00pt

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Monday, October 31st, 2011 - We had large gaps down in unfavorable territory for gap trading so I stayed away. I avoided an 8pt loss.

NO TRADES

I spent a lot of time over the weekend getting my strategy ready for SIM trading. I put it in the live market last night and went to bed and woke up with no trades executed. I've been debugging the order entry logic most of the morning. It enters with stop orders so that makes the trade management more complicated and NT was doing weird things, like if I called CancelOrder() and then placed another order soon after the order wouldn't be accepted, probably because the other order wasn't cancelled yet. So then I put in a Thread.Sleep() to give it some time to get cancelled (multi-threaded hopes) but no matter how long I let it wait my subsequent entries wouldn't get placed until the next bar which sometimes was too late. I tried using the liveUntilCancelled signatures but if you don't SetStopLoss() and SetProfitTarget() in the right way the stop orders get cancelled even if you tell it not to. NT is a funky beast. Anyway, it looks like it's now doing what I expect it to do, but I'll let it run for a while on its own and get some other things done.

One thing I do to test in SIM is to run it with the same rules but with a very fast time frame (like 30 secs) and very fast parameters so signals can get fired frequently and often so I don't have to wait around a long time to wait for something to happen. I probably placed about 100 orders over a few hours. Make sure you're connected to a SIM account too!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00-ES-no-gap-fade.png
Views:	194
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	53664   Click image for larger version

Name:	01-debugging.png
Views:	308
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	53665  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

This month I didn't do any discretionary trading, at least with real money. I just did gap and first hour trades. I decided last week to not do first hour trades anymore because my obligations with work and getting my kids ready for school in the morning make it hard to trade these as effectively so I'm going to just be completely automated as far as trade execution goes and only trade gaps and any other automated strategies I decide to run.

My net P&L has a $25 (two ES ticks) discrepancy with my RCG statement, and I've narrowed it down to 2 trades that don't match their statement so I need to figure that out, but overall I'm pleased with the results.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	october-review.png
Views:	358
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	53786   Click image for larger version

Name:	october-statement.png
Views:	376
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	53787   Click image for larger version

Name:	equity-curve.png
Views:	207
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	53822  

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 - We had large gaps down thanks to Europe in favorable gap zones, but the gaps were way too large to fade. The gap never did fill, though we did achieve as much as 14+ pts of gap fill at the highs of the day so a 1:1 partial-fill gap trade would have been a 8.75pt winner with only 5+ points of heat.

I went live with a new strategy with real money which took 1 trade for a loss. I would have enjoyed a more positive christening but alas it wasn't meant to be.

CL: -28 ticks

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 - We had pretty good-sized up-gaps but fading up-gaps on FOMC days are particularly risky so no gap trade was taken.

My automated day-trading strategy doesn't trade CL on Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm running it in SIM for further testing. Once I get it up on other instruments then maybe I'll take some Wednesday trades. I'm still testing it on NG and GC.

NO TRADES

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00-no-gap-trade.png
Views:	294
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	53873   Click image for larger version

Name:	01-study.png
Views:	333
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	53878  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

I've created a new journal that will focus just on my automated trading research and journey. I may continue to post here every now and then my musings about markets or trading, and maybe post a few stock/options trades, but my intellectual capital is now focused on automated trading systems so I have created a separate journal for that. Posting why I traded or didn't trade the gap doesn't seem very beneficial to me anymore as I've been doing this practically on autopilot for a while. If you have any questions about my gap trades you can ask here or PM me, otherwise I won't bother posting about them anymore just to save me the time of writing and publishing screen shots everyday.

I'll see you over there!

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Our meetup is meeting for lunch in Irvine today, if anybody's nearby and hungry. We should have 7-10 people there.

Trader Lunch - Orange County Traders Association (Irvine, CA) - Meetup

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

I've just finished reading your entire journal and to be frank, I was totally surprised and quite taken when I read this quote on page 72!!

shodson View Post
Thursday, October 13, 2011
My wife and I celebrated our 15th anniversary yesterday

So tell me, were you married when you were 9 or 10 years old.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Cashish View Post
I've just finished reading your entire journal and to be frank, I was totally surprised and quite taken when I read this quote on page 72!!

So tell me, were you married when you were 9 or 10 years old.

Ha! Are you judging my age by my picture or immature trading methods? If by picture, that picture's about 5 yrs old and I've always had a baby face and look younger than my actual age (43) This one was taken a couple of week ago at the beautiful campus of Soka University.

Speaking of my wife, she's going in for surgery this Thursday for treatment of breast cancer, which she was diagnosed with last month, so I could use everybody's thoughts and prayers.

Thanked by:
 ticnau 
Buderim Queensland Australia

Platform: ninja
Broker: AMP/Zenfire
Trading: 6E, 6B, YM
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 25

thoughts and prayer will be with you

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts