NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one incometrade with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 184,408 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,603

Thanks Scott.

I agree with most of what you said. I think at the end you stated a plan to get you to where I was asking if you were -- can you run a report and find out if your actual (not what if, not woke up too late, but actual) trades are showing what your forecast model predicted they would.

I look forward to it!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

On CL I see we're near a triple bottom on the weekly chart between 68 and 65. Jeff Macke would always say that there's no such thing as a triple bottom/top, meaning on the third test major levels usually don't hold. I guess we'll soon find out.

All 3 major MAs have been violated to the downside and we've had a huge bearish engulfing bar 2 weeks ago whose trend is still in tact. So if we get prints below 65 next week I think CL is in trouble. The rise in the dollar seems to be the major reason for oil's decline, so we'll need to watch the currencies as well and see if the correlation stays in place. I'd have a neutral to bearish bias for the week unless we see a major reversal in price action.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100522-cl-weekly.png
Views:	295
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	14122   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100522-cl-daily.png
Views:	252
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	14123  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

I would think that if we close below the prior swing low, or the low that made it a double bottom, that we should then see a 127.2-161.8 extension of the last swing up. I think the 127.2 would put that around the 65 level. On the other hand, I think there could be a bounce before that happens. I feel that CL is a strange animal and it can do anything above and beyond what any technical analysis can determine. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the analysis, I just think for whatever reason CL does wacky stuff.

One other comment. The down trend on the weekly is nice and orderly. The last up move is sloppy. Some might say it looks corrective as opposed to impulsive, if one is an elliot wave type person which I'm certainly not. So, who knows.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Monday, May 24th - ES opened below Friday's close and Monday's are usually bullish so it's a good day to fade down gaps, but the setup didn't meet my criteria and the gap guide data was non-existent for some down-gap zones so we must be in a rare condition. Instead, I setup to fade a small up gap based on system criteria, which had a 65.8% win rate (less than my usual 70%) but it was mitigated by a profit factor of 1.45, larger than 1.3. Didn't matter anyways as it opened down, took about 5pts of heat which was survivable, then filled the gap.

NO TRADES

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100524-gap-guides.png
Views:	270
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	14171   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100524-fader-msg.png
Views:	257
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	14172   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100524-ES-gap-filled.png
Views:	278
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	14173  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Sorry, my wife's been in the hospital this week for an emergency surgery since Monday. She's going to be OK but it's going be a week or so until they let her out of the hospital. Needless to say it hasn't left me much time for journaling. In short, I haven't taken any trades.

Tuesday, May 25th - Didn't like any gap zones.

Wednesday, May 26th - Liked 2 gap zones, didn't open where I wanted.

Thursday, May 27th - Liked 1 gap zone, didn't open where I wanted.

Still playing with HHoLLy grail, here's some charts and my thoughts. I'm discovering more ways to to use this thing, even in chop.

I hosted our Meetup last night on "Favorite Trade Setups", it was one of the best ones so far. I love learning about how other people trade.

Getting ready to see if I want to check out the LA Traders Expo next month. Is anybody here going? I went last year and really enjoyed it, though knowing what I know now I'm not sure I'd get much out of it. I'll have to check out the sessions. However, some of my favorite parts were just meeting other traders and chatting with them.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100527-ES-desktop.png
Views:	268
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	14403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100527-CL-desktop.png
Views:	273
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	14404  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,603

shodson View Post
Sorry, my wife's been in the hospital this week for an emergency surgery since Monday. She's going to be OK but it's going be a week or so until they let her out of the hospital. Needless to say it hasn't left me much time for journaling. In short, I haven't taken any trades.

Glad she will be OK. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Did some more playing around with reversal failures. Enhanced the indie to draw yellow arrows where the directional arrows fail. The yellow line is where price must go to consider it a failure. If we get another directional reversal then it's considered a success and the failure line stops plotting. Wondering if the directional arrows work best or their failures. Something to test.

See attached chart. There's one "failed failure" which was resulted in a huge move. They are more rare but it's result here makes me wonder is this is something I want investigate more.

Created shBarATR (attached here) which is just ATR (green) and the size of a bar AbsoluteValue(High - Low) to see if the size of the reversal bar correlates to the success of the reversal signal. Looking at volume too.

Also, did some experiments on curve fitting and posted it in this thread.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	failure-arrows.png
Views:	438
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	14533  
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: shBarATR.zip

ZTR 

Platform: NinjaTrader7
Broker: Mirus RCG/Zen-Fire
Trading: CL & 6e, looking at ES, ZB and AU again.
Thanks Given: 1,099
Thanks Received: 1,393

Hi Scott,

Best wishes to your wife, I've been there. Hope she is doing well.

As you know Mike has asked me to Moderate Downloads & Indicators. He would like to put all of the versions of indicators, templates, workspaces & educational material posted in threads if not truly beta. If it is beta then just leave it here if you are still actively working on it.

If this is a final version that you posted would you mind putting it in downloads just adding a link to the thread to bring everyone to that area. This will really help the efficiency of searching indicators. As well as putting it in a place where they can be tracked to minimize overlap and multiple postings.

Andy

R.I.P. Andy Zektzer (ZTR), 1960-2010.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

ZTR View Post
Hi Scott,

As you know Mike has asked me to Moderate Downloads & Indicators. He would like to put all of the versions of indicators, templates, workspaces & educational material posted in threads if not truly beta. If it is beta then just leave it here if you are still actively working on it.

If this is a final version that you posted would you mind putting it in downloads just adding a link to the thread to bring everyone to that area. This will really help the efficiency of searching indicators. As well as putting it in a place where they can be tracked to minimize overlap and multiple postings.

Andy

Thanks, it's here.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

ZTR View Post
Hi Scott,

Best wishes to your wife, I've been there. Hope she is doing well.

Andy

She is home now, improving every day. Thanks for everyone's concern.

Last night for kicks I implemented the Elder Impulse system as a strategy and uploaded it to the downloads section. Check it out if you think it might be useful.

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts