NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one incometrade with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 184,567 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

shodson View Post
The only live-money automated strategy that I use is for fading gaps.

Here is the chain of emails I usually wake up to when the gap is faded. I'm usually asleep when this happens, but today I was up early and was watching it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emails.png
Views:	227
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	49657  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
26 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
20 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 - The gap setups were somewhat favorable, but the zones I liked were too small to trade in the ES, so I set up to fade the YM, which had a wider, more favorable zone if we opened below yesterday's close but above the lows of the day. However we opened above the close so no gap fade trade was taken. However, I did get a signal to short the first-hour range and picked up some ticks in the TF.

TF: +36 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no-fade.png
Views:	161
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	49776   Click image for larger version

Name:	first-hour-guides.png
Views:	163
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	49777   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	49778   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	164
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	49779  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Looks like my short got a little help from the Presidential drop.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	obama1.png
Views:	144
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	49806   Click image for larger version

Name:	obama2.png
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	49807  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 - The gap guides were mixed and we had a huge gap down. It looks like Scott@MTG faded the gap with a small position for the reasons he mentioned (see attached gap-play image). I hope it works out for him.

Also, the first-hour guides were a mess too so I just decided to stay away.

I would normally think about selling a rally on days like this, but the last few times on big down opens like this I've been eaten up trying to short the market on a rally after the open, so I just sat on my hands and got on with my day. However, after listening to CNBC/Bloomberg on the way into work the fear is really palpable, but that may mean it's even more reason to get long.

NO TRADES

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gap-guides.png
Views:	135
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	49974   Click image for larger version

Name:	gap-play.png
Views:	142
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	49975   Click image for larger version

Views:	139
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	49976  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Odds of fading gaps on a Friday after a 2+% drop in the market, and below the 200-day moving average.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gap-analysis.png
Views:	151
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	50015  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 - The odds of gap fading were very good below yesterday's close. However the D-OC zone in the ES was very small, which meant it was a near doji. However the NQ had good probabilities as well but with larger zones so I had a better chance of getting a tradable entry. It looks like I got 6 ticks of slippage, but thankfully, things worked out well for me.

I later took a TF upside first-hour breakout, also based on good probabilities but I later realized I was taking more risk than I should have as the breakout wasn't confirmed by any of the other indices, but my greed light was bright because the TF setup looked so strong on an individual basis. So I decided to manage the trade by moving stops instead of leaving a static target/stop. It was a good more as it came close to my target, but then it turned to the downside and I got out taking away 43% of the original target.

NQ: +72 ticks
TF: +19 ticks

The meetup last night went well. We had 11 people and went 1hr over our normal time. Many people came in and shared some winning and losing trades they have recently taken.

The developer of apaZones came in and talked about his supply/demand zones for very small risk/large reward trades and it looked really interesting. We talked about "when price hits a zone, how do you trade it?" and the main answer was to look for price action chart patterns around the S/R zone to take your trade, usually with very small stops. He particularly likes ABC patterns at or near the zones, and plans to add ABC pattern recognition around the zone to the indicator.

A local professor of math and computer science came in and talked about how he uses bond yields and other money market flows, like the PTTRX, to predict how the market will perform the next day, and how he is yielding 50% a month with a long-only strategy in biotech stocks using these correlations. He doesn't look at any charts (really naked!), he purely trades off of his spreadsheets. His exits are time based, and he's found that it's best to exit at a 5% stop loss or after 6 days in the trade.

Of course, I take all of these claims with a grain of salt but the information was shared with no sales-y fanfare or egotistical braggadocio so I at least think it's worth further review.

PS - Registration is now open for my futures.io (formerly [AUTOLINK]BMT[/AUTOLINK]) webinar.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	144
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	50074   Click image for larger version

Name:	NQ-gap.png
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	50075   Click image for larger version

Name:	emails.png
Views:	132
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	50076   Click image for larger version

Name:	first-hour.png
Views:	131
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	50077   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF1.png
Views:	133
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	50078  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

shodson View Post
decided to manage the trade by moving stops instead of leaving a static target/stop. It was a good more as it came close to my target, but then it turned to the downside and I got out taking away 43% of the original target.

Looks like I was wise to manage the trade: I would have been stopped out as price retraced and never moved higher.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TF-loss-averted.png
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	50110  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Monday, September 26th, 2011 - Gap guides were strong in a few zones, but we opened in the U-H zone so no trades were taken. The 10pt gap filled very quickly and easily from the open. MTG did an interesting research that shorting up gaps the day after an inside day below the 200 and 10 MA had very high profit factors, but the sample size was pretty small so not enough to bet the farm with.

Then I started looking for some other trades. I saw CL coming into resistance so I got short near the top of the area and put my stop 1 tick above the zone high. I then raised my stop another 4 ticks as CL will often make head fakes. Well, it did just that, enough to stop me out still, THEN it turned around and hit my target on the EMA(20) a boat-load of ticks below. I later thought about re-entering short on the LL but I felt that would have been a revenge trade and it wasn't part of my plan so I did not do that.

The first-hour guides had good setups below the lows in TF, but we were also in a support zone from the overnight session (based on the 60min chart), so I was a little worried about that. It got near the bottom but then turned around so I never was filled. Then I watched the ES and the high breakout looked good, but it was also coming into resistance and had moved straight up so far until then. I thought it would need a pause and resistance would weight it down so I decided to get long on a pullback if the FH hghs were broken so I get reduce my risk to 1:1. Good thing I did as I got a full stop out as it never moved much higher above the range and later stopped me out.

CL: -19 ticks
ES: -32 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	50272   Click image for larger version

Name:	gap-play.png
Views:	130
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	50273   Click image for larger version

Name:	no-gap-trade.png
Views:	129
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	50274   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-short-into-resistance.png
Views:	128
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	50275   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-entry.png
Views:	129
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	50276   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-move-stop.png
Views:	130
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	50277   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-shaken-out.png
Views:	118
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	50278   Click image for larger version

Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	50279   Click image for larger version

Name:	tf-low-fade.png
Views:	125
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	50280   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES-entry.png
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	50281  

Name:	ES-fail.png
Views:	126
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	50282  

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

First of all, nice thread. Very professional and very well presented.

Second, I have a stupid question. On the CL trade you were stopped out on, is there some reason you don't look for the kind of entry you were tempted to revenge trade on in the first place instead of "catching the rising knife" as you did?

It seems to make some sense that if you are looking to short an area, most of the time that area will provide you with the type of second entry you did not take.

Just wondering. I know this is "confirmation" but it seems to make some sense to me instead of just arbitrarily selling an area.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

PandaWarrior View Post
First of all, nice thread. Very professional and very well presented.

Second, I have a stupid question. On the CL trade you were stopped out on, is there some reason you don't look for the kind of entry you were tempted to revenge trade on in the first place instead of "catching the rising knife" as you did?

It seems to make some sense that if you are looking to short an area, most of the time that area will provide you with the type of second entry you did not take.

Just wondering. I know this is "confirmation" but it seems to make some sense to me instead of just arbitrarily selling an area.

Thanks for your kind words.

I liked the trade because I could get in with a small risk/large reward. If I had waited for confirmation then I would have had to have a much larger stop. However, I do see your point and perhaps waiting for a reversal signal in R/S would provide better probabilities, but with larger stops. I'm still trying to work out the best way for me to trade R/S. Thanks for the advice.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts