NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 182,836 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

8/12 - Didn't trade 8/11 as I was up until 2am that morning working but decided to join the guys at MasterTheGap.com yesterday, took their gap fade and price extensions targets for a winner at the open which met my daily profit targets within the first 10 minutes, stopped trading. The chat room was targeting 999, which it did eventually hit, but as I was new to their system I wanted to use a quick scalp for now while I get comfortable with this system. I like their emphasis on selecting high probability trades (only consider setup with win rates of 75% or higher) and the rigorous backtesting they've done on various setups.

ES -1 winner, 0 losers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	es-20090812.png
Views:	382
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1172  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
Jugador
USA

Thanks Given: 67
Thanks Received: 51

Thanks for the link! I had just heard about the technique of "closing the gap" (or something like that) and was about to start a thread asking if anyone's backtested the strategy.

Looks like a great site to get some answers.

pchan
sasqatchuanville

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 3

Great post!

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

8/13 - Couldn't get up early enough today because I was up too late backtesting my own strategies. Unfortunately, that was expensive sleep as I missed an 80+% probability gap setup this morning that would have rewarded gappers +22 or more ticks in the first 30mins of trading. You can check out the summary here:

Gap Trading Video: [AUTOLINK]Fading[/AUTOLINK] gaps that follow a green hanging man candle during [AUTOLINK]bullish[/AUTOLINK] conditions

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

8/17 - 8/21 - Didn't trade this week, was on vacation. There weren't any good opening gap plays either this week so it was a good time to be away from the market. I'll be back in the saddle next week. I can't help but think once the big institutional guys get back from the Hamptons in September they are just going to beat the market down to a pulp.

FYI, I cancelled my LogicalForex subscription. I'm just not into Forex, except for 6E, but they are focused on spot forex, not futures, and I just wasn't using the indicators much so I didn't want to pay for them anymore. Nice people though, if I ever get into Forex I'd check them out again.

Also, my EOT Pro license expired. I wasn't really using it much either. The Bills Arrows v4 looks promising, but it's been in beta. Maybe I'll go back once they release it.

I'm focused on playing opening gaps on the discretionary side and continuing developing some of my automated strategy ideas.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

8/24 and 8/25 - didn't trade, got some sleep instead

8/26 - There was no high probability gap play so I just day traded for a bit into the housing report. I ended up overtrading, made 15 trades on ES and 6E in 1hr. I'm a little rusty since vacation, forgot some of the points of my trading plan. Still ended up with a small profit but overall the day was a wash after commissions.

I made screenshots but my trading computer crashed this morning and now won't boot up, not sure why. I'll have to look at that later.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20090826-6e1.png
Views:	327
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1432   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090826-6e2.png
Views:	289
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090826-es1.png
Views:	286
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1434  

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

8/27 - Didn't trade due to technical difficulties (see attached)

Actually, I put on a SIM trade after midnight on my laptop last night (technically today) on the 6E, scalped +8 and +10 (too bad it was SIM). I'm looking to trade larger targets because the commissions are killing me, and/or my win rates aren't high enough. So I tried doubling my target and stop losses and am looking at trading larger time frames.

Had an interesting discussion with RCG and Mirus today. The reports at RCG are aweful, just buy/sells with price and qty, that's it. No timestamps, no commission reporting, etc. RCG said "tough, contact Mirus". So I emailed Byron@Mirus, he promptly called me back and explained that that's how most clearing houses report, and that I should look at NT for more detailed reporting, even though their reporting is not always 100% accurate. As far as commissions it's a little tougher, you just have to know how much each instrument is costing you. On the ES I knew it was $4.40 per round trip, but I didn't know the currency futures (like 6E) cost more, about $5.20 per round trip and that the treasuries/bonds (like ZN) charge less like $3.20 per rt. I guess I should have looked at their website a little better. No wonder a few of you like ZN so much!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dump.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1431  
Thanked by:

jdella 
Concord, NH USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja trader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 140
Thanks Received: 115

shodson View Post
8/27 - Didn't trade due to technical difficulties (see attached)

Actually, I put on a SIM trade after midnight on my laptop last night (technically today) on the 6E, scalped +8 and +10 (too bad it was SIM). I'm looking to trade larger targets because the commissions are killing me, and/or my win rates aren't high enough. So I tried doubling my target and stop losses and am looking at trading larger time frames.

Had an interesting discussion with RCG and Mirus today. The reports at RCG are aweful, just buy/sells with price and qty, that's it. No timestamps, no commission reporting, etc. RCG said "tough, contact Mirus". So I emailed Byron@Mirus, he promptly called me back and explained that that's how most clearing houses report, and that I should look at NT for more detailed reporting, even though their reporting is not always 100% accurate. As far as commissions it's a little tougher, you just have to know how much each instrument is costing you. On the ES I knew it was $4.40 per round trip, but I didn't know the currency futures (like 6E) cost more, about $5.20 per round trip and that the treasuries/bonds (like ZN) charge less like $3.20 per rt. I guess I should have looked at their website a little better. No wonder a few of you like ZN so much!

Shodson, I have been experiencing that same blue screen lately, I was wondering if you knew of a cure for it happening or even why its happening. This is only as of late, I'm wondering if its because of something to do with any of microsofts automatic updates. I know that this probably goes under a different thread, sorry for that, wasn't sure how to show that blue screen and get it into another thread.

Thanks, Jeff

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

jdella View Post
Shodson, I have been experiencing that same blue screen lately, I was wondering if you knew of a cure for it happening or even why its happening. This is only as of late, I'm wondering if its because of something to do with any of microsofts automatic updates. I know that this probably goes under a different thread, sorry for that, wasn't sure how to show that blue screen and get it into another thread.

Thanks, Jeff

For me, I don't think it has anything to do with Windows because after that it had trouble rebooting at all, before it would even try to boot Windows. So I figured maybe I have a bad RAM card. I have 4 1GB RAM cards. I decided to remove one at a time until it would work. I isolated 1 card that, once I took it out, the computer started working again. I don't know if it's the card that's bad or the DIMM slot on the motherboard, but I was just happy to have it working again. I'll isolate the problem more specifically at another time.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

8/31 - The probabilities on fading the gap today were very low, so I didn't do a gap fade which was the right choice as the market opened lower and never closed the gap due to the plunge in the markets in China.

I focused on launching my first automated strategy and launched it later this morning. I'll be posting trades it makes, winning and losing, for all to see as well. It doesn't trade very often so you won't see trades posted every day, but when it does I'll post them.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts