NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 182,904 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

wirechild 
Arkansas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB
Trading: TF, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 192
Thanks Received: 135

shodson View Post

Took an IB loss on 6E after the London open. I should filter IBs after such large bars because you're almost guaranteed to get an IB after a large bar with large wicks like that, and I'm not convinced the probability of such IBs are that great, probably just a roll of the dice.

I swing trade a few ETF's and use Inside (outsides too) bars as part of my setup. I filter any IB that follows a bar twice its range. So for example if the bar before the IB had a range of 40 and the IB had a range of 15 I would pass. Just something for you to look at, not sure if it could be added as part of your backtesting or not. I have not tested it, just noticed alot of losses was following really large bars...

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

wirechild View Post
I swing trade a few ETF's and use Inside (outsides too) bars as part of my setup. I filter any IB that follows a bar twice its range. So for example if the bar before the IB had a range of 40 and the IB had a range of 15 I would pass. Just something for you to look at, not sure if it could be added as part of your backtesting or not. I have not tested it, just noticed a lot of losses was following really large bars...

Yeah, that's my sense too. In fact, I was near my computer while I saw the bars form and I didn't like that it was taking a setup after such a large bar and felt uncomfortable with the trade. But anytime you're trading statistical probabilities you need to take every trade (discipline?) in order to achieve your statistically expected results so I let it ride. I will add that filter to my list of [AUTOLINK]backtesting[/AUTOLINK] scenarios to work on.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Wednesday, June 14th - I set up to fade an up gap, but that was it. The U-CO looked neutral, but it was strong in the YM and NQ gap guides, so I seriously considered setting up that zone too, but stuck to my rules. It opened with a 2pt gap in the U-CO, took about 3pts of heat but turned around and filled the gap nicely.

Got 2 IB winners, 1 loser and 1 small exit on close loser for +22 on CL and -5 on 6E

ES: no trades
6E: 1 loser, -5 ticks
CL: 2 winners, 1 loser, +22 ticks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100714-gap-guides.png
Views:	165
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	16988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100714-fader-settings.png
Views:	158
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	16989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100714-fader-msg.png
Views:	167
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	16994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100714-ES-gap-chart.png
Views:	177
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	16995   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100714-IBs.png
Views:	178
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	16996  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

futurestrader1 
New York City, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, CL, 6E
Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 42

Hello.....ii see you are only doing one Contract on CL inside bars method.....i want to also do 1 car............what is your NINJA DOM ATM strategy for this?

I would love to know how you manage the trade and your targets.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

futurestrader1 View Post
Hello.....ii see you are only doing one Contract on CL inside bars method.....i want to also do 1 car............what is your NINJA DOM ATM strategy for this?

I would love to know how you manage the trade and your targets.

Currently, I target +24, SL at the other side of the IB, and I don't adjust my stops. Follow the back testing messages I posted last weekend starting here. It's not ideal and I'm looking to work on improving it over the weekend but that's the current plan I'm trading now.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Thursday, July 15th - I set up to fade some gap and extended target zones and the market opened just 1 tick up which qualified for a short extended target trade, though due to slippage I was actually filled below yesterday's close. Still, the market moved hard to the downside and it easily hit my target on ES.

After 2 bad days trading IBs on 6E I thought about turning it off and doing some more testing on that instrument but I stuck with it and got a nice win.

I got 2 nice IB winners on CL as well. So today was a trading hat trick. 3 more ES ticks and I would have had that oh so elusive triple double I keep hoping to get.

ES: +7 ticks
6E: +24 ticks
CL: +48 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100715-gap-guides.png
Views:	161
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	17076   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100715-fader-settings.png
Views:	162
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	17077   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100715-ES-gap-chart.png
Views:	168
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	17078   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100715-IBs.png
Views:	182
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	17079  

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

wirechild View Post
I swing trade a few ETF's and use Inside (outsides too) bars as part of my setup. I filter any IB that follows a bar twice its range. So for example if the bar before the IB had a range of 40 and the IB had a range of 15 I would pass. Just something for you to look at, not sure if it could be added as part of your backtesting or not. I have not tested it, just noticed alot of losses was following really large bars...

wirechild do u have a feeling if all this losses u mention after big bars are predominant counter or continuation trades?

another q reg your swing method....do u use any other pre filter to the ETF selection.....like trading long only for ETFs trading in a daily uptrend? which timeframe do u use? how are your results using this setups on ETF?

am asking all this because I am seriously analyzing applying some IB/OB/Pin Bar setups to stocks/ETFs on a larger timeframe and any best practice working may help me tune my plan...

Thanks,

GT
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

gtichauer View Post
wirechild do u have a feeling if all this losses u mention after big bars are predominant counter or continuation trades?

another q reg your swing method....do u use any other pre filter to the ETF selection.....like trading long only for ETFs trading in a daily uptrend? which timeframe do u use? how are your results using this setups on ETF?

am asking all this because I am seriously analyzing applying some IB/OB/Pin Bar setups to stocks/ETFs on a larger timeframe and any best practice working may help me tune my plan...

Thanks,

I have a friend that trades ultra ETFs and he noticed because of their daily compounding, which causes price decay, if you want to, let's say, be long financials, instead of buying the FAS you short the FAZ and it puts the price decay on your side. However, the ultras can be hard to borrow sometimes.

Thanked by:

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

shodson View Post
I have a friend that trades ultra ETFs and he noticed because of their daily compounding, which causes price decay, if you want to, let's say, be long financials, instead of buying the FAS you short the FAZ and it puts the price decay on your side. However, the ultras can be hard to borrow sometimes.

good point....will take notice of that....thanks.

GT
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Friday, July 16th - The gap guides were pretty awful across the board, so much so that I thought it'd be worth going with-gap but that's not in my trading plan. Turns out the market opened below the close and went on down hard in the morning.

I had a terrible day trading IBs. Was down over $1000 later in the day but came back with a winner late in the day, but I still wiped out most of my previous day's big wins. I decided to not trade IBs until I get more of my research done and trade these in a more sophisticated manner.

ES: No trades
6E: -11 ticks
CL: -65 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100716-gap-guides.png
Views:	162
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	17226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100716-ES-gap-chart.png
Views:	156
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	17227   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100716-IBs.png
Views:	168
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	17228  

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts