NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 184,267 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

shodson View Post
My wife is doing great, the surgery went really well, it appears the cancer has not spread to her lymph nodes so odds of being cancer-free are very high! Now she just needs to rest and recover and do some more post-op treatments but the hardest part is over.

Good news about your wife. I wish her all the best.

David

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

If anybody's in SoCal/Orange County tonight we're meeting to discuss Brett Steenbarger's book The Daily Trading Coach

Book Club: Daily Trading Coach - Orange County Traders Association (Irvine, CA) - Meetup

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Hello (again)!

I realized I miss journaling, and I should write it somewhere, so why not to the Elite FIO members? I could just keep a personal journal, but that would be too selfish. Plus, you guys can keep me honest, and perhaps collaborate to improving my trading. Instead of starting a new journal, I'm just going to start where I left off 8+ years ago here.

So lately I've been posting all of my trades in my Slack channel in near real-time. I'm not sure I need to do that here, but this will be more of a summary of the day of how things went, with reflections and what I am looking at going forward. So I don't get in trouble with the moderators by posting URLs to stuff I run, even though it's free, just DM me if you are interested in joining my Slack channel. It's part of the Meetup I run, which is also free (DM me for URL), and you are welcome to join. It used to be more locally focused, like most meetups, but because of COVID we are doing Zoom meetings now, so anybody anywhere in the world can join in. DM me if you would like that info as well.

Anyways, I have a handful of strategies I trade. I will not expose all of the technical details of each one of them, so I will still hold some things close to the vest, for proprietary reasons, but I think what I post can be of use to me and others.

Thanks for playing along! Posts to come...

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

I'll seed this with just taking screenshots of what I've posted in Slack the last couple of days, just to start the discussion.

Here are my trades for May 13th, 2020 (today)

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

...and yesterday May 12th

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

The algo closed out just below break-even after 24 stock trades.

This is something custom I coded in C#/.NET, using the IB API. It trades open range ATR breakouts on the top 20 stocks that meet a handful of liquidity and volatility characteristic I scan for (via SQL database) every day. It was a lot more work than writing it in Ninjatrader, but it's simpler to manage and operate on a day-to-day basis, and is more stable than Ninja's IB interface, at least in my experience.

Will probably close out my CL spread tomorrow, there's not much left in the spread so the risk/reward is getting too high at this point.

I'm stalking the VIX futures term structure, looking for +/- 10% contango on the front two contracts. If we start to get some big moves then I'll look to put on a calendar spread.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Seasonal considerations for tomorrow, compliments of TradeMiner...

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

My CL spread was completely closed this AM, so I closed the spread for a $4.5k per contract profit.

I won't be putting on another spread CL for now as the spreads are not very wide. However, we could see some wild volatility into the roll next week, as a follow-up from last month's craziness. But for now, the market seems like its old self again, so I woudn't be surprised if expiration rolls smoothly.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

My NG spread is converging nicely, bringing in more profits as we near June contract expiration. TD Ameritrade gave me a nasty warning about not allowing traders to enter new trades on the June contract. You can only do closing trades now for the rest of the contract period. I've never seen that before. I usually do spread like this on in my IB account but I did it on TOS this time, playing with their built-in spread features.

The gold and silver ETFs continue to work nicely as well, as long as the Fed keeps printing trillions of dollars, Bitcoin and metals will be on the rise.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

My stocks algo had a losing day. I haven't had a good winning day on this in a while.

It's net negative for the last few weeks. That's to be undertood in part as volatility has been compressing, but before I turn it off I'm going to do some homework on the fills and see how much slippage I am experiencing. It's not yielding close to historical norms at this point.

Yeah, yeah, I know, overfit..slippage & commissions...yada yada. I do think slippage is probably worse than what I had expected, at least on some instruments, and the compression of volatility in the equities markets is making it harder to reach it's volatility-based profit targets. There are also some other things I want to re-test as well.

Weekend homework...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fio2.png
Views:	199
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	299218  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts