NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 182,836 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Friday, November 19th - No gap trades, but there were strong first-hour setups in ES and TF, but just took ES for a 4.5pt winner. TF also worked out, blowing through it's first-hour highs. Looking at my performance this helped me end up flat on the week.

ES: +18 ticks

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Inspired by a blog post from @ cunparis I added expectancy and other metrics to my trading performance spreadsheet over the weekend. I also had to ramp up my Excel function programming foo in order to pull some of this off.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Monday, November 22nd - Upset with myself because I set up my gap fading strat incorrectly last night, which kept me out of a 34 tick TF winner, Grr.

I did, however, pick up a nice low breakout of the first hour on ES. I tried to limit in on YM also on the same setup but my entry was too greedy and it hit the target without me. I guess I was fearful of taking a trade on two instruments at the same time, instead of risking 40 YM ticks to make 40YM ticks, I tried to limit in to only risk 20 and make 60, but it didn't pull back that far. YM and ES aren't as volatile as TF so I was fearing that if it wasn't going to work out I didn't want to take two full-size losses.

So 1 out of 3 possible winners for the day. I'm thankful I was able to pull some money out of the market.

ES: +17 ticks

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Tuesday, November 23rd - It just didn't work

TF: -30 ticks
YM: -28 ticks

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Will you trade Wed 24th or no due to holiday? Same question for Fri 26th.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Wednesday, November 24th - We had very large gaps up that were not tradeable.

We had good first-hour setups in 3 instruments, but I gotta tell you it was hard to get long between R2 and R3. I was still stinging from yesterday's loss getting short after such a large down move. However, I decided that if I hadn't followed my plan when it felt wrong that I would really hate myself if it was a winning trade that I missed out on, and that if it was a loser I would be less upset with myself, but still would not be happy. In the end I went long TF on a pullback. I also got long YM on a deeper pullback, lowering my risk and improving my entry. ES looked good too but I stayed way, not wanting to risk 3 trades on the same setup. TF hit its target and YM closed at the end of the day for a small win. ES would also have been a partial end-of-day 3.00pt winner too.

I will not be trading Thursday or Friday, so Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in the USA, and we'll see you next week!

TF: +27 ticks
YM: +12 ticks

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Just playing with price action patterns and volume. Looking at gravestone and dragonfly dojis, particularly with range charts. I think these are interesting candles on range charts because to me they represent major rejection in one direction or another, especially when you get large volume (beyond 2 StdDevs).

Add a good risk/reward ratio, trade only during the best times, don't chase (limit in), and, well...

Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 422

shodson View Post
Just playing with price action patterns and volume. Looking at gravestone and dragonfly dojis, particularly with range charts.

I have been doing the same thing, but with price charts. Right now I'm playing with the code for the entry and have notice that I get wildly different results depending on if I place a market order to get in or a limit order at some formula-based entry point. I think it's a code bug, but hopefully will get it ironed out this weekend. I'm new to NT programming, and haven't yet figured out how to step through the code. Writing stuff to the output window is tedious and painful.

The dragonfly doji is a nice pattern, but some of the other patterns are a little harder to code for. I've tried pre-defined sizes for the candles, but am getting better results if I use percentages instead.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Mindset 
Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: ib
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 291

shodson View Post
Inspired by a blog post from @ cunparis I added expectancy and other metrics to my trading performance spreadsheet over the weekend. I also had to ramp up my Excel function programming foo in order to pull some of this off.

Hi

Very honest journal - love it.
Your expectancy metric is crucial BUT I think you should test your Risk/Reward rather than pure no of ticks.

Let me explain...

If you go long to close a gap with a 4pt stop on the ES and make 5pts then your expectancy is 1.25.
Also allows easier comparison between instruments.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Mindset View Post
Hi

Very honest journal - love it.
Your expectancy metric is crucial BUT I think you should test your Risk/Reward rather than pure no of ticks.

Let me explain...

If you go long to close a gap with a 4pt stop on the ES and make 5pts then your expectancy is 1.25.
Also allows easier comparison between instruments.

My FHG trades usually have a risk/reward of 1.0. My gap trades usually hare a risk/reward less than 1.0, which I'm not totally comfortable with, but overall they are plenty profitable setups for me, I just have to endure more stressful drawdown periods. This month my gap trades are performing with a 77.8% win rate and a 2.17 profit factor so this month has been less stressful.

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts