NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one incometrade with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 184,915 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Adding the 6E to the basket of instruments tonight, increasing market exposure while diversifying my asset class pool.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E1.png
Views:	217
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	32980   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E2.png
Views:	189
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	32981  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 - Another good day from the oil markets, making up for losses on whippy index futures markets. I'm not sure, but I think this is about the most money I've made in a single day.

6E: No trades
CL: +113 ticks (2 trades: +54 and +59 ticks)
ES: No trades
TF: -17 ticks (3 trades: -22, -8, and +13 ticks)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-8-2011 1-44-23 PM.png
Views:	176
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	33053  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,239
Thanks Received: 101,662

Nice

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Good on you. I am sure you are familiar but one time I had a strategy that was profitable about 16% per month for about 7 months. Then the market changed and I had a negative 40% month!

We are in very trendy days these last few weeks. I am sure you know this, but just curious if this system works in ranging markets?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

bluemele View Post
Good on you. I am sure you are familiar but one time I had a strategy that was profitable about 16% per month for about 7 months. Then the market changed and I had a negative 40% month!

We are in very trendy days these last few weeks. I am sure you know this, but just curious if this system works in ranging markets?

I'm just curious, after you had your -40% month and stopped it, did you ever test to see after that bad month if would have ever recovered, or would it had continued its downward slide? I just wonder if maybe you pulled the plug too soon.

Believe me, as someone that has backtested and developed systems for almost 2 years now, trying to find something I can feel comfortable with trading my money, this is the best system I've come across. And I feel I am particularly skeptical of a system that looks good at first glance. It has some of the smoothest equity curves I have ever seen. Risk/reward is 1.0. Avg win / Avg loss is usually around 1.0. Win rates are 60-70% with PFs 1.5 - 2.3+ across multiple markets. Draw downs, peak to trough, never exceeded approximately $800/contract, but I need to do some more research on drawdown norms.

I tested it over 20 months across 4 markets. Every month was profitable. When you combine all of the markets, some markets may have had a negative month but the losses were compensated by larger wins in other markets. I don't think you can say every month in 6E, ES, TF, and CL had nothing but trending markets during that time. This strategy fails the most when we get trend reversals, like we had in equities the last couple of days. For example, Monday was a down day, Tuesday was an up day, but only after opening lower and moving lower in the morning, then ripping long the rest of the day. Still, trends don't reverse back and forth like that too often for long periods of time.

So I feel OK about it. Also, I've analyzed monthly returns, max losing streaks, etc, so I know how it should behave, on average, and I'm only allowed to worry or make changes if my monthly results start exceeding 1-2 standard deviations from my expectations. Or, when my account goes to $0.

I'm 100% aware of the fact that I could lose a lot of money with this and take responsibility for any failure this may achieve. I have my doubts that it may perform as well as my tests show, but I have some statistical backing that gives me some comfort, but I know it could totally blow up in my face and am prepared to face those consequences. I feel I have mitigated my risk a bit by trading across multiple markets that are not usually correlated (ES and TF are the most highly correlated), so if one market starts hurting me, I may be able to make up in other markets.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 - No comment, it does what it does, eeked out another positive day thanks to crude. Thinking about changing around the time I trade TF, need to test it some more. The afternoons seem more difficult.

6E: -13 ticks (2 trades: -20, +7)
CL: +37 ticks
ES: +14 ticks (2 trades: +15, -1)

TF: -14 ticks (7 trades: -20, -20, +20, +15, +13, -11, -11)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-9-2011 12-54-29 PM.png
Views:	168
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	33218  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Ah crud, it looks like I didn't mitigate intra-bar back testing issues with Ninja like I thought I had. Even with a 2nd lower period time frame my stops and targets still are not being respected. I discovered this when I compared recent live trade results with my back-tested results on the same days and saw the false winners in the back test. I'm hoping the Ninja support team will have a fix/response to solve this but I'm not hopeful.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	market-BACKTESTED.png
Views:	206
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	33293   Click image for larger version

Name:	market-LIVE.png
Views:	209
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	33294  
Thanked by:

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,372

shodson View Post
Ah crud, it looks like I didn't mitigate intra-bar back testing issues with Ninja like I thought I had. Even with a 2nd lower period time frame my stops and targets still are not being respected. I discovered this when I compared recent live trade results with my back-tested results on the same days and saw the false winners in the back test. I'm hoping the Ninja support team will have a fix/response to solve this but I'm not hopeful.

I think you need to manage your trade entries, stops and exits, on a 2nd multi time frame series with a period of 1 range.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

monpere View Post
I think you need to manage your trade entries, stops and exits, on a 2nd multi time frame series with a period of 1 range.

As you'll see in my post on the [AUTOLINK]Ninjatrader[/AUTOLINK] forum, adding another timeframe doesn't help. I thought it would but it doesn't. They recommend placing your targets/stops on the bar after the entry, but we know that brings a whole new set of problems.

CORRECTION:

It can be done, I just have to manually exit once profit/stop targets are reached on a tick-by-tick basis, can't use SetStopLoss() or SetProfitTarget().

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Thursday, March 10th, 2011 - First losing day, trades were not as frequent today.

6E: no trades
CL: -36 ticks
ES: no trades
TF: +1 tick (4 trades: +17, -15, +15, -16)

I'm thinking about not trading any of the 3-month contracts tomorrow since we're in contract rollover and it's a Friday. If I trade CL I may just trade the morning. Plus I need to rethink this strategy after I re-do my backtesting once I correct the aforementioned intrabar issues.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-10-2011 1-37-48 PM.png
Views:	154
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	33392  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts