NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

shodson's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 573 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 41 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 12 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 11 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bluemele with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 182,836 views
    2. thumb_up 869 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 770 posts
    2. attach_file 956 attachments

Search this Thread

shodson's Trading Journal

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

shodson View Post
Very nice sam028, that looks like it would work. I've never explored the Cbi.Core namespace. What other tidbits of goodness might I find in there?

I've tested it, is seems to work.
Cbi.Core.UserDataDir.ToString() is just your C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5 directory.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

9/20 - Whew, what a weekend! Worked on BOT2 quite a bit more but I'm just not comfortable yet with a consistent set of indicators or strategies for it yet. I started playing with some of the stuff Sharky has been teasing us with and looking to use it on the ZB but not comfortable with what I have yet. I also was playing with some of the Guppy/GMMA indicators/system a bit. It tends to pick up trend reversals pretty early. Also started incorporating multiple time frames (multiple BarsArrays) to filter out trading against a prevailing trend. This seems to increase the win ratio a bit when trend trading.

So instead of trying to create a new monster I worked on improving whats working (BOT1). I improved the entry logic a little bit and re-did my backtesting and optimization and am now trading with a lower risk/reward ratio, now less than 1.0, still with a 70+% win ratio and 2.0 PF! I feel much better about that. I also let it loose on a second instrument: the dreaded ES. We'll see how that goes. I'd like to put it on a commodity and a treasury at some point so I can diversify the number of markets I'm scanning and trading since it doesn't take trades very often.

Furthermore, I added a bunch of P/L tracking and have it now sending me updates to me via email (SendMail() didn't work for me, so I resorted to this) and posting trades and status updates to a twitter account. You can follow it at @uberBOT1 if you want.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

9/21 - The new and improved BOT1 took an early morning while I was asleep this morning. The previous version would have entered at a price 4 ticks higher. Used a 24-tick stop loss. It would have been nice to continue in the rest of that run but that wasn't in my trading plan.

6E - 1 winner, 0 losers = +27 ticks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E-20090921.png
Views:	322
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2484  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 goldilocks 
NYC, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 81

Hey shodson,
I've been enjoying your trading journal: I use NT and didn't know that the commission costs were different among the instruments. Good to know.

I also like what I read about the link and your looking into trading the gap. That is one of my primary possible trades in the ES. Someone told me about it - lucky for me, as I'm such a beginner. I look to see if the close of the previous day also matches any R/S areas on mypivots.com to try to avoid an entry that will hit a rough patch, so to speak. And, I try to keep in mind any "hot" areas (points visited and revisited) from the previous day's trading.

About trading in sim mode: I find trading in sim mode VERY different really than trading live. First, I don't have the slippage that is real and *always* get filled when and where I expect. This really threw me when I started trading live.

Thanks for sharing your journal. Very helpful.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Thanks for the feedback goldilocks. I don't know if anybody is really getting anything out of this beside me or not, but at least it helps me work out my struggles and challenges as I articulate my thoughts online.

Yes, you have to be aware of the instrument you are trading. The parameters you need to look out for are
- Best hours to trade with best volume and liquidity
- Session open and close (if you are going to hold them overnight)
- Tick size
- Tick value
- Broker commissions
- Seasonal and cyclical trends (especially with commodities)
- Typical behavior, like is it prome to trends (forex), cycles/channels (commodities) or chop/scalping (indexes, treasuries). Some here might disagree with my characterizations.

OT: I'm just about finished reading [I]How I made $2,000,000 in the Stock Market[/I] by Nicolas Darvas (originator of the Darvas indicator, which is included in NT). Besides the cheasy, get-rich-quick title (was written over 30 years ago) this is a great book as he takes you on his journey from novice to professional trader and we get to watch him screw up in a lot of the ways most traders do when they start out. If you're just starting out I recommend you pick up a copy. It's a quick and entertaining read. I wish I had read this book a lot sooner. It would have saved me thousands of dollars in losses I incurred a few years ago.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

9/22 - BOT1 took 2 trades of the 6E, 1 winner and 1 loser. That's the first loser I've had in a while. Luckily, my profit target is greater than my stop loss so it still ended the day with a small profit.

6E - 1 winner, 1 loser = +4 ticks.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E-20090922.png
Views:	255
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2542   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E-20090922-2.png
Views:	260
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2543  

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

9/23 - BOT1 was busy today. Unfortunately, 3 losers, all had the right direction but the rounded turn was too wide and stopped me out before the turn completed.

I'm noticing, especially today, that the EURUSD and S&P seem to be correlated. I've heard others mention that before. Today was a great example of that: when the ES goes up, so does the EUR/USD. Why is that? Why does strength in US indexes cause the EUR to rise against the USD?

6E - 1 winner, 1 loser = +3 ticks
ES - 0 winners, 2 losers = -20 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6e-20090923-1.png
Views:	253
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2598   Click image for larger version

Name:	es-20090923.png
Views:	224
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2599  

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

9/24 - BOT1, 1 trade, 1 winner. It would have been nice to get the rest of that run. Maybe I'll add an adaptation that once my PT is hit stay in until I get a bar that closes in the opposite direction, though those reversal bars are sometimes very large as well. I'll have to research that. In this trade that would have added another 37 ticks to my profit.

I've been researching fractals some more. Seems like a promising way to trade if you combine it with some other filters to reduce bad trades. However, which instrument, time frames, time of day you trade and chart type are a big factor to their effectiveness. Has anybody used fractals in their trading with any efficacy?

6E - 1 winner, 0 losers = +27 ticks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60-20090924.png
Views:	257
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2680  

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

shodson View Post
Has anybody used fractals in their trading with any efficacy?

I think Blz17 is on-board with fractals. I'm also evaluating MultiCharts 5.5 and it has a nice Chaos Fractal indicator which got me interested as well.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

I ordered Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar on Amazon last week. I want to get more into candlestick patterns and reading price action and stop using any indicators based on laggy averages. This week I also came across an article in TASC (but I can't remember which month) which talks about shooting stars, hanging men and engulfing patterns which have a lot of similarity with the way people use fractals for reversal signals. John Ehlers has an article this month in TASC called [I]Fractal Adaptive Moving Averages[/I] which is on my reading to-do list. Unfortunately, having a very demanding "regular" programming job, wife and 3 kids, church responsibilities, head-coaching my kids volleyball team and running a Meetup makes strategy and indicator development time for me pretty sparse.

Last Updated on December 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts