NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How was your path of becoming profitable

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 8 posts (15 thanks)
    2. looks_two michael94 with 4 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kareem40 with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 2 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TraderDoc007 with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kareem40 with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 michael94 with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 4,885 views
    2. thumb_up 60 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 20 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

How was your path of becoming profitable

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

If you want it you'll find it. Before the path to success comes the path to breakeven. You have to be in this because of an extreme obsession for coding, stats, numbers and winning. It has to be your #1 passion. If you're here for the money, you might as well kiss it goodbye. The money comes because of the obsession for the former.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

snax 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Price Action Student

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Edge Clear
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 9,613
Thanks Received: 9,622

Massive l View Post
If you want it you'll find it. Before the path to success comes the path to breakeven. You have to be in this because of an extreme obsession for coding, stats, numbers and winning. It has to be your #1 passion. If you're here for the money, you might as well kiss it goodbye. The money comes because of the obsession for the former.

Hey @Massive l! How did you make the transition into coding your strategies as opposed to executing manually?

EDIT: In hind-sight, I should probably ask this question next time you post in your journal. Didn't mean to distract from OP's original intention!

Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

15 years of market exposure on/off. Made a lot of money. Lost even more. Some periods very intense. I've been fairly exhausted for the last 2 years juggling trading research/development with a full-time job. Lost contact with some friends and declined social stuff, but trying my best to maintain relationships with my closest ones.

If you want to succeed with this, you're likely required to make sacrifices. Also - it's much harder than you think and the harsh truth is you're not likely to succeed. There's really nobody to guide you as the ones who are most eager to help usually knows the least and those who know generally keep things for themselves.

My advice is to choose a volatile, liquid market and learn that market as it is. Not how you think it is. Now what some guru says. Or not what you think it should be. The market simply is.

What is that you see every day happening in front of your eyes. It goes up, yes? It goes down? Repeatedly? How much? How often?

As soon as you can - start logging information about what it is you see. Track the market and create statistics.

TraderDoc007 
Detroit MI/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Multicharts, Custom own
Trading: All Futures
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 206

Massive l View Post
It has to be your #1 passion. If you're here for the money, you might as well kiss it goodbye. The money comes because of the obsession for the former.

Have to concur with this - trading has to be a passion and an obsession in the beginning. You Have to be determined to be successful and then carve out that path to success.
Look at a lot of charts and just observe initially. Your mind will start showing you things that gel with what is best for you. Maybe a certain pattern jumps out at you regularly, maybe volatility based bars show you some secret, maybe a collection of bars in some sort of format tells you something.
Bottom line is..do a lot of observing initially and read up on money management extensively. You need to master these 2 puzzles first and then deal with your own mind when you eventually start trading live. But live trading is way in the future so just concentrate on these 2 first.

Have fun initially but become very serious when it comes to training the mind.

All the best.

futrstrdr 
Cape Coral FL USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: CL, GC
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 59

It's taken 22 years but am finally getting the hang of it.

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, Treasuries, Gold
Thanks Given: 2,201
Thanks Received: 1,918

I was lost until I happened upon Damian Castilla on youtube. He is as legit as they come. Uses no indicators, sells nothing, and trades a multi-million dollar account. Learn the basics from Damian, and it will save you many months/years of struggle.

I sound like an advertisement but it really is worth checking out!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5Zq25cFK3FZeF26wn4m0w[/yt]

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

delete

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	430
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	308933  

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 174

I am not profitable, but I am newly confident and feel I am on my way. The VWAP indicator and this thread really turned things around for me.

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,333

I am not profitable yet, but the more I trade the more I feel that there must be some "turning points" that change everything.
Let me explain, suppose you are starting with a very small account of around 5K, most probably the account will go up and down a little and almost breaking even for quite a while until one day you make a nice trade and you "jump" to 8K, then you will go sideways and one day jump to 20K.... and so on.... until one day you will go above the 60K mark

It might take months to go from 5K to 20K, but from 20K to 60K it should be a lot easier and from 60K to 100K even easier.
Once you get to 100K you will have so many "degrees of freedom" that if you play correctly you can scale up to 500K extremely fast.

Of course this is just a theory, but it's something that I have observed whenever I passe the combines, the first part of the trading journey it's the most difficult. So playing safely at the beginning is crucial.

So, what I am trying to say is that once you feel that you are close to becoming profitable, maybe just one single day can change everything.
I believe that you need one big day, just one..... and it will se you up for a be profitable from that moment on.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

wrong thread

Last Updated on March 22, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts