NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Scalping ES, need help

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 9 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two ALC77 with 9 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 4 posts (18 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 4 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iantg with 10 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wldman with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,695 views
    2. thumb_up 138 thanks given
    3. group 26 followers
    1. forum 55 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Scalping ES, need help

GarySeven 
Chino Valley AZ

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

There is really no such thing as "scalping" anymore. This was a term used in pit trading before everything changed.

Even if you take a hundred trades a day you are not a scalper but a day trader.

Jim Dalton can explain it better than I can. The whole video is good but he explains the difference in trading at 5:30

https://jimdaltontrading.com/jul-31-2019-webinar/

And some final thoughts on overtrading...

Trading should be called waiting, because that's the biggest part of the game. If you are always trading, you will lose over time.

Being right but being early is the same as being wrong.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 akuush 
LA, CA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES & CL
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 20

@ALC77 When I did the 1 tick drill with JigS, I had some days ending with net profit but most of the days were losers. Peter does mention that this can't be converted into a strategy. This is only a drill to get experience under your belt and train your eyes on watching the JigS DOM. I did like the Cut and Reverse drill, it helped me to come over my short term trading psychology and to stay in trades for longer.

I think you can still make it out as a short term trader(scalper) but would need atleast a 1:1 Risk to Reward ratio initially. I have heard interviews with traders on ChatWithTraders that they scalp short term and do just fine. Goes back to what your trading style is and where you are comfortable.

I give a week to a new concept and stick to it for the entire week and then analyze the net results at the end. At the moment, I watch out for aggressive buyers or sellers, hitting with large order(50+) on the tape mostly around previous highs and lows on a tick chart, and scalp a few ticks 3-8.

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

"trading" is difficult to define and certainly not what it used to be. What Dalton did on the CBOE/CBOT was indeed trading. Now it seems as though there is no trading, rather short term directional speculation.

GarySeven View Post
There is really no such thing as "scalping" anymore. This was a term used in pit trading before everything changed.

Even if you take a hundred trades a day you are not a scalper but a day trader.

Jim Dalton can explain it better than I can. The whole video is good but he explains the difference in trading at 5:30

https://jimdaltontrading.com/jul-31-2019-webinar/

And some final thoughts on overtrading...

Trading should be called waiting, because that's the biggest part of the game. If you are always trading, you will lose over time.

Being right but being early is the same as being wrong.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

akuush View Post
@ALC77 When I did the 1 tick drill with JigS, I had some days ending with net profit but most of the days were losers. Peter does mention that this can't be converted into a strategy. This is only a drill to get experience under your belt and train your eyes on watching the JigS DOM. I did like the Cut and Reverse drill, it helped me to come over my short term trading psychology and to stay in trades for longer.

I think you can still make it out as a short term trader(scalper) but would need atleast a 1:1 Risk to Reward ratio initially. I have heard interviews with traders on ChatWithTraders that they scalp short term and do just fine. Goes back to what your trading style is and where you are comfortable.

I give a week to a new concept and stick to it for the entire week and then analyze the net results at the end. At the moment, I watch out for aggressive buyers or sellers, hitting with large order(50+) on the tape mostly around previous highs and lows on a tick chart, and scalp a few ticks 3-8.

about 50% of my trades are all 1:1.. all the trades I took today were 1:1

The biggest factor to this is making sure you cut losers when signaled out.

I wouldn't define my self as a scalper but I'm defiantly very short term

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

I am concerned that you give a week to a concept and stick to it for the ENTIRE week. How in the world do you maintain that kind of discipline?

The shortest time frame...what you are referring to as scalping is dominated by the HFT crowd. If you are able to enter and exit within seconds or a minute I would suggest to you that you are simply lucky and in the way. I'm not saying that a person cant build some type of model that COULD provide some type of edge...I'm saying that it would take a very high level effort over a significant period of time.

If you like to be in ES for a few ticks and do that repeatedly all day long I would suggest that you identify trend and simply get in the way. Perhaps have your closing orders as resting limits and hit or take as momentum (volatility) comes or goes. If you do nothing but get filled on your resting orders designed to close you could probably hit or take ad post hoc.

Does that make any sense?

akuush View Post

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

as the most basic first point of reference, below is a 1600 tick chart (a century to HFT guys) If you look at the gold as the signal line and buy when the green goes above gold and sell when green goes below gold you have the STARTING basis for a "scalp" method.

Of course you are going to get killed when the trade line crosses back and fourth...indicator folks call that "chop" and will search for a "filter" and ultimately add indicator or secret settings until their money or their desire is gone.

The next step in sophistication would be a macd rate of change. IMO this is chasing the wind. Again, I'm not saying that it can't be done...it can, for sure. The issue is that very sophisticated firms have high level programmers that program on the fly (intra-day) to adjust for prevailing conditions.

Thanked by:
 akuush 
LA, CA

Trading: ES & CL
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 20

wldman View Post
I am concerned that you give a week to a concept and stick to it for the ENTIRE week. How in the world do you maintain that kind of discipline?

The shortest time frame...what you are referring to as scalping is dominated by the HFT crowd. If you are able to enter and exit within seconds or a minute I would suggest to you that you are simply lucky and in the way. I'm not saying that a person cant build some type of model that COULD provide some type of edge...I'm saying that it would take a very high level effort over a significant period of time.

If you like to be in ES for a few ticks and do that repeatedly all day long I would suggest that you identify trend and simply get in the way. Perhaps have your closing orders as resting limits and hit or take as momentum (volatility) comes or goes. If you do nothing but get filled on your resting orders designed to close you could probably hit or take ad post hoc.

Does that make any sense?

I'm just trying the idea that Peter shared in his webinars, take an idea that you have observed and apply it for 2 weeks in the markets, don't change it, stick to it and at the end of the 2 weeks analyze your results.

After completing the Pice Ladder training with JigSaw and Axia Futures, I'm just trying to follow what I have learned so far. Most of the patterns they teach in the Price Ladder course are relatively short term trading(3-10 ticks). I would definitely say it was a surprise watching how these traders trade.

Like you said, I might be simply getting lucky and in the way. But until I fail and see the results myself this will haunt me and be stuck in my head forever.

I can try what you are suggesting, not quite sure what you mean in the last sentence though
wldman View Post
'If you do nothing but get filled on your resting orders designed to close you could probably hit or take ad post hoc.'

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

I don't want you to try that...I want you to find what works for you.

I guess a better question for me to ask you is why scalp? Why try to compete in the most difficult arena possible?

There is a fair amount to overcome. Trade expenses and spread for example. For me, on ES. If I give up the spread its minimum 2 ticks. I have a fractional tick in commissions and fees. Say conservatively I give up 2.5 ticks to the spread and trade related costs. It is fair to expect at least 1 tick in slippage on either side unless you are resting orders in the book. So say you have to overcome 3.5 ticks per round trip to break even.

Do you see that and agree, or no?

Break even is now 4 ticks.

I could be missing it, but don't you have to be right almost all of the time and for at least 5 ticks to make 12.50 per trade?

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

wldman View Post
I guess a better question for me to ask you is why scalp? Why try to compete in the most difficult arena possible?

ALC77 View Post
I've been led to believe that scalping is the quickest way to get profitable.

This should generate some interesting discussion.

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

xplorer View Post
This should generate some interesting discussion.

That is a theory that could be debated.

But...wldman does not have the fortitude.

I recognize that my posts today might be a little terse.

The ONLY edge in actual scalping was in that you could be on the inside market executing simultaneously in a somewhat riskless manner.

Scalping is not defined by the "teeny" it was defined by the ability to have both hands in the air at the same time taking 'em in and putting 'em out at the same time. The edge was being on the inside market when "paper" came in. WE ARE the paper, not the trading crowd.

Super short term directional speculation is perhaps the least likely way to "become" profitable. Using a prior theoretical edge is NOT a connotation for small move or short term directional speculation.

The reason most people "scalp" the micro contract is because they do not have a deposit large enough for over nite carry. This is a complete and unmitigated disaster waiting to happen....mostly because it takes time out of the equation. Time is your friend, not your enemy in trading.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 28, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts