NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading dax futures vs CFD

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Redcycle with 8 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xiaosi with 4 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Dvdkite with 4 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xiaosi with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SBtrader82 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Dvdkite with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,644 views
    2. thumb_up 28 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 35 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading dax futures vs CFD

avasfx 
Poland

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts, RealTest
Broker: AMP, TradeNation, IntractiveBrokers
Trading: ES, DAX, YM, FTSE
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 1

You are wrong here. It depends on broker. Lets look for example on ES/MES: spread most of the time 0,25 to enter and exit the market + commission.
With my broker now i trade S&P 500 CFD with sread 0,14 (during US session) and 0,20 (Europe session) - no commission. So its much cheaper to trade CFD being in europe. And i get no slippage (as i trade with market maker), max position - up to 7500 CFD's, which is equivalent of 600 ES contracts for one mouse click. Margin is also always the same (day and overnight). And also no data fees
I think that cfd's are banned in US because CME, NYSE etc don't want competition...
But on the other side - there are too many scamers now, so we have to be carefull selecting a broker.
Nowadays a lot of reputable US brokers offer cfd's for their cliens outside of US - like Phillip Capital, InteractiveBrokers, etc
Alex

jazzmutant View Post
SBtrader82, thanks for your concern. I make money and tbh I'm actually happy with my broker, they're legit and have been very good to me.

The cost of trading the CFD is the only thing that's bothering me, knowing there exists a cheaper alternative.

L

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Tudman 
Toronto Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 4

A trader I follow uses TD365.com to trade CFDs. Never any issues for him.i am thinking of opening an account as there are:
1. No commissions
2. No Exchange fees
3. Tight spreads
4. Widening of bid-ask during volatile times

If one can deposit money with them and be able to withdraw anytime without issues, seems attractive compared to futures.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Tudman View Post
A trader I follow uses TD365.com to trade CFDs. Never any issues for him.i am thinking of opening an account as there are:
1. No commissions
2. No Exchange fees
3. Tight spreads
4. Widening of bid-ask during volatile times

If one can deposit money with them and be able to withdraw anytime without issues, seems attractive compared to futures.

I wouldn't normally be posting on a thread about CFD's -- since I don't trade them and never have -- except to point out that with CFD's you are trading with your broker as the party on the other side, and not with other traders on an exchange, and you should have a care about that. But the same is true for spot foreign exchange, so it's just a "let the buyer beware" situation, and everyone can make their own decisions.

Which is basically what I am going to say here as well, but in the case of the no-commissions and no-fees broker just mentioned, a person has to wonder just how the firm is going to make any money? Well, since they don't charge you anything up front, even though they supposedly have "tight spreads," they are going to take it out of the prices they offer the trader. Where else? It is coming from somewhere, and the trader is going to pay it.

If a trader understands that some money is going to be made by the broker from their trading, one way or another, then they can perhaps make an informed decision about what to do. But money will be made in order to provide traders with the trades, and it is important to understand this.

Just be careful of free things. There just never are any. There may be no commissions, but there is still no free lunch.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
AlphaBetaDelta
Ipswich and England

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 12

The only real drawback to trading CFDs (or DFBs) is the spread the broker charges. Most brokers only charge 1pts spread so for swing trading or even day trading reasonable sized swings its not an issue. Scalping on CFDs would be impossible. In the UK for e.g. DFBs are tax free so can offer some good opportunities.

Only issue Ive experienced in the past is that during the volatility the broker randomly widens the spread - again this makes short term trading problematic

hnmw
Melbourne

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

avasfx View Post
You are wrong here. It depends on broker. Lets look for example on ES/MES: spread most of the time 0,25 to enter and exit the market + commission.
With my broker now i trade S&P 500 CFD with sread 0,14 (during US session) and 0,20 (Europe session) - no commission. So its much cheaper to trade CFD being in europe. And i get no slippage (as i trade with market maker), max position - up to 7500 CFD's, which is equivalent of 600 ES contracts for one mouse click. Margin is also always the same (day and overnight). And also no data fees
I think that cfd's are banned in US because CME, NYSE etc don't want competition...
But on the other side - there are too many scamers now, so we have to be carefull selecting a broker.
Nowadays a lot of reputable US brokers offer cfd's for their cliens outside of US - like Phillip Capital, InteractiveBrokers, etc
Alex

Hi Alex

I saw your old post here.

I was wondering which broker you use. I have a 0.4 point spread with S&P 500 CFD on IG Markets

Also, do you know any CFD providers that allow you to trade ES S&P 500 March Contract (or ES Mini Futures CFDs). IG Markets does but the spread is 0.6 points!

Thanks
Ben

avasfx 
Poland

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts, RealTest
Broker: AMP, TradeNation, IntractiveBrokers
Trading: ES, DAX, YM, FTSE
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 1

Hello Ben, sorry for answering only now, just saw your replay. I use TradeNation (and that is what i was talking about). At that time spread was 0,14, but currently they have 0.3 with no commission. Love them. Platform i very poor, defiantly not for scalping or algorithmic trading, but other than that - great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TN1.png
Views:	12
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	336810  

Last Updated on December 19, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts