NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

NW Trader's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one NW Trader with 165 posts (660 thanks)
    2. looks_two kareem40 with 17 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Wizard3ootz with 7 posts (18 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 6 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one NW Trader with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mtzimmer1 with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Wizard3ootz with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kareem40 with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 35,603 views
    2. thumb_up 819 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 227 posts
    2. attach_file 260 attachments

Search this Thread

NW Trader's Journal

NinjaTrader  NinjaTrader is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NinjaTrader
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NinjaTrader Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 2,686

NW Trader,

If you have not done so already, please reach out to our platform support team here. Also, please reference this post, someone will follow up promptly to analyze your issue.

https://support.ninjatrader.com/s/

Disclosure: This communication is sent to you by NinjaTrader, LLC, a software development company which owns and supports all proprietary technology relating to and including the NinjaTrader trading platform.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, TS
Broker: IB, Oanda
Trading: ES, MES, MNQ, MYM
Thanks Given: 1,947
Thanks Received: 921

My NT8 had some issues in the beginning, but I started a new workspace and all was better. Once in a while I would have to restart, but it is a huge improvement over IB's TWS. BTW, I have noticed that some programs ( cannot remember which one now, does not do well with NT8) I am sure they will get all fixed up on the next updated.
Give me a bit more time Mike.

K

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, ES
Thanks Given: 495
Thanks Received: 1,084

kareem40 View Post
My NT8 had some issues in the beginning, but I started a new workspace and all was better. Once in a while I would have to restart, but it is a huge improvement over IB's TWS. BTW, I have noticed that some programs ( cannot remember which one now, does not do well with NT8) I am sure they will get all fixed up on the next updated.
Give me a bit more time Mike.

K

Oh, I'm not abandoning ship! I've been through software and program changes before, both here and on the job. It's never all smooth sailing, but ultimately things have a way of working out. As you can see, the NT8 person that monitors FIO has already reached out to me and that, by itself, is head and shoulders above the response I ever got from TS. So, it's all good. And I always remind myself that, just like automobile problems, sometimes what needs adjusting is that nut behind the wheel!

Mike
NW Trader

There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,452
Thanks Received: 26,278

NW Trader View Post
As you can see, the NT8 person that monitors FIO has already reached out to me and that, by itself, is head and shoulders above the response I ever got from TS. So, it's all good.

Good. I hope you get in touch with them. Their support is very good.

Just so you know, the "the NT8 person that monitors FIO" is Ray Deux, the head of the company. That's who contacted you.

Bob.

-----------------

Edit: to be clear, I just meant that the member @NinjaTrader who posted up above with the suggestion to contact NT support is Ray Deux. I didn't mean to say that he will give direct support.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

Platform: NT, TS
Broker: IB, Oanda
Trading: ES, MES, MNQ, MYM
Thanks Given: 1,947
Thanks Received: 921

bobwest View Post
Good. I hope you get in touch with them. Their support is very good.

Just so you know, the "the NT8 person that monitors FIO" is Ray Deux, the head of the company. That's who contacted you.

Bob.

Wow, its very impressive the that CEO/founder would actually make the call. NT8 for sure has improved my live trading, highly recommended to all traders.

K

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,452
Thanks Received: 26,278

bobwest View Post

kareem40 View Post
Wow, its very impressive the that CEO/founder would actually make the call. NT8 for sure has improved my live trading, highly recommended to all traders.

K

Well, I meant that he was the one who made a post up above in the thread, suggesting @NW Trader make contact with NT Support. I have no idea who will handle things in terms of providing direct support. Someone on their support team, no doubt.

I edited my post above just to make it more clear.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Started last night in the Asian session with a couple losses in gold and the Yen. I'm still figuring out that session and now that I've got the instruments I want I am finding that there are only certain times that seem good for trading. So, while I figure that out, I am still deciding how much I want to trade that session. I mean, it has been good because I needed the screen time and the practice to figure out my strategy and style, but now I'm getting to the point of realizing that I really don't want to trade day and night. So, maybe just the mornings will do, we'll see. In any case, the losses last night meant that I was starting out in the hole this morning.

Today was a day that, once again, I had to sit back and reassess myself. I took several trades and found myself fudging on my entry rules. They were "almost" right, or "just about there", and so I lost money. After 4 trades this morning, combined with the two from last night, I hit my 2% mandatory trading pause loss limit. So I took a break, had some breakfast and thought about what I was doing.

Because I had such a wonderful Monday, I believe I was a bit over-confident. Then I took a small loss Tuesday and then losses on the Asian session and I was set up for revenge trading. I mean, I was trying to live up to my "performance" on Monday. I lost sight of the fact that the market will give me whatever it will give me and all I can do is diligently work my strategy to find an edge. After my pause, I went back in and took a strictly rules based trade on YM and came away with +52 ticks and of course I felt a little bit better.

But then I turned right around and took a trade on a triangle breakout in gold. Now, the indicators are all good and I've seen these trades work, but here's the thing: I have a certain number of setups that I have studied and that I use and a triangle breakout is not one of them! Talk about out of sync and out of whack! I can't even explain that one.

Anyway, this day is in the bag and I have decided I am going to go over the indicators I use to help me determine my setups and perhaps tighten them up just a bit. By doing that, I will probably limit my trades a bit, but if I have everything written down I think I will be less inclined to fudge my entries. I hope so anyway.

Today's results:
8 trades
3 winners: $442.92
5 losers: ($829.30)
Net P&L: ($386.38)

Happy trading everybody!

Mike
NW Trader

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Last night I did sit down and review the various criteria I used to qualify a setup as a potential trade. I didn't change anything, I just tightened things up and actually wrote them down, printed them out and taped it to my desk. Afterwards, I wondered if I had tightened things up so much that finding trades would be difficult so I took a look at the Asian session. There I immeiately found an NQ trade that would have worked, at least for a small target, but I had missed the entry and I never chase. Then I saw a textbook entry in CL. Now, I had already decided that CL was freaky for me in the Asian session and I stopped trading it. However, since this was my new, written plan, I figured what the hell! So, I entered and I did manage to move stops before I was stopped out for -8 ticks!! Okay, NOW I know I'll never trade CL in the Asian session again!!

This morning, with only an hour to trade before leaving for work, I found a YM trade about 30 minutes before the open. It met all my now written criteria so I took it. Hit my first target for +20 ticks and my second stop was hit for +7, making +27 ticks for the trade. Not bad I figured for a pre-opening trade.

I then found a 6E trade that also met all the specs. Unfortuately, it stalled and wandered before backing up and giving me a -14 tick loss. This trade actually gave me a couple opportunities to scratch with a small profit and I failed to take them. I need to work harder on these trades that stall. I hold them thinking they are going to eventually head in the right direction but many times the stalling actually means they are getting ready to change direction. I need to go back and study these failed trades and come up with something, maybe a 3-5 bar rule that says I close the trade if it hasn't moved in my direction by then. Something else to work on.

Sorry about no charts today, I had to leave the house before I could get them saved to the system.

Today's results:
3 trades
1 winner: $132.64
2 losers: ($172.20)
Net P&L: ($39.58)

Looking forward to tomorrow with a bit more time to apply my enhanced strategy. Happy Trading everyone!

Mike
NW Trader

Thanked by:

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Took a small loss in the Asian session last night, did not set me up well for this morning.

This morning I took two max losses in a row, hit my mandatory "pause" limit. I looked over the charts, tweaked a couple things, went back in for yet another max loss which put me at my mandatory stop session limit. Dang!

I started off so great on Monday, had some minor losses Tuesday and Wednesday that caused me to re-think my strategy and try to refine my trade criteria. Then Thursday and Friday just got worse, turning what started out as a nice, positive week into a loser. Whew! Deep breath.

I've done this before, where I start tweaking things, I guess thinking I'm going to end up with the perfect no-loss system when I know there is no such thing. Obviously my strategy is fine, Monday showed that. So this weekend I'm just going to relax, get away from the screen, and Tuesday I'll come back with my strategy reset to the same strategy I was using when this week started.

Hope you all ended up with a great day today and that you have a nice, enjoyable Labor Day weekend!

Today's results:
4 trades
4 losers: ($696.74)

Mike
NW Trader

Thanked by:
 AndrewQ 
Seattle, WA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Thinkorswim, NinjaTrader
Trading: Micros
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 7

I've been following your journal and really admire your perseverance and positive attitude. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Cheers.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 11, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts