NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading laptop - Alienware or Falcon Trading Systems?

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ALC77 with 4 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tzmarai with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sam028 with 2 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two addchild with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DavidHP with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Blash with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,934 views
    2. thumb_up 104 thanks given
    3. group 44 followers
    1. forum 60 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading laptop - Alienware or Falcon Trading Systems?

tzmarai 
Toronto

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, MT4
Broker: IB
Trading: Crude, ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 3

As far as the noise goes it can be reduced by the following tweak in Windows at least:

Power management >
Advanced Power management >
Processor Power management >
Maximum processor state:
Reduce from 100 to 90 or 80 depending on the performance vs fan noise reduction of your choice.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
 Chancellor 
Riverside Ca

Platform: Sierra Charts
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 27

I have purchased three trading computers from https://eztradingcomputers.net - two desktops with monitor arrays and one laptop with extra monitors. They offer solid machines ( military spec components) and excellent lifetime support. Not cheap but very good value. They will configure just about anything you want and can help you make a decision about what you need.
Very satisfied with my machines and their support.

Thanked by:
 JOBB 
Philadelphia Pa/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: NQ,CL,GC
Thanks Given: 0

Having been a certified tech, and trader for years......There is no such thing as a " trading computer"...That just means " more expensive than necessary" computer.

16GB Ram
SSD 512 GB minimum is nice - 256 GB bare minimum
a graphics card
I-7 fastest most reasonably priced processor which most $ 1000-$ 1200 priced laptops usually have these days.
HDMI out for the 2nd monitor for sure......

I don't see the point in 4K though.....not necessary...requires extra processing
1920X1080 15-17" screen .....is fine.....Some laptops offer higher res screens but not as high as 4K
and they are pretty popular and not bad re resource usage.....

Alienware is overpriced in my opinion- HUGE if you get their traditional model.....I did enjoy mine when I owned it, but it was so big and heavy you could just carry a tower around with you! ( almost)

Investing in super fast internet like FIOS 1 GB is well worth the price for scalping in my opinion.
I just don't feel specialized machines are needed for our purposes. Good luck.

Lg

Thanked by:

Harr 
Catskill, NY

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 205

Hi, I highly recommend EZ Trading Computers. I purchased a desktop from them a bit over 1 year ago. Have been extremely happy with all aspects. Hardware & software. I in NO way benefit from my suggesting them.
Any questions, please let me know.
You do need to spend a penny to make a penny. I believe their prices are competitive. But you are not purchasing a mass produced computer. Quite the contrary!
Regards,

YGRYGR
Tarzana, CA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 1

I really really enjoy the "help a trader out e-mails." Can you create a list of them please?

In other words, can you help me out with this?

smllc
JONESTOWN pa

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

ALC77 View Post
Computer just crapped out today so I'm looking to buy a new laptop just for trading. Mostly will be using it at home, but will take it to work sometimes too. Needs a large monitor and must be able to hook up an additional 34" monitor. I need something fast for scalping. Needs to be able to handle Jigsaw and QTrader at the same time along with screen recording software. Do I need 16 GB or 32 GB RAM? Get a SSD? So far I am looking at Alienware or Falcon Trading Systems, but am open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Just purchased a Falcon Trading Computer. That's all you will need. They are wroth every penny...

cloudsurfer
Bristol, UK

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 6

I have been using my MSI GE72 Apache Pro gaming laptop for trading for well over 3 years now. 17" screen plus it can connect to 2 external montiors via HDMI and miniDP port. I trade with 2 x 24" LED monitors. In combo with the on-board 17" it's a great setup. i7 with skylake 6700HQ processor, 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD + 1TB HDD. It has an nvidia GTX960m which has never given me any issues and powers the 2 external monitors without a bother.

I recommend MSI because I travel a lot and although this beast aint the lightest (none of them really are), it's rock solid. It's been across the world with me several times. I bought this back in late 2015 and have traded hard and solid for many many hours on it since, so it's a good test. Backlit keyboard is great for the evening sessions.

The branded gaming rigs are the best in my opinion. I love this MSI and I would get another. Get the best and latest you can afford. Deffo get an SSD minimum 256Gb and get 16/32Gb RAM but make sure your processor is one of the latest too....and if you can, use another laptop or device for your email, surfing and youtubing etc.

Good luck!

Thanked by:
 joe s 
sacramento ca us

Platform: Ninja Trader,Trade Station
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 105

I have a Falcon Trading computer haven't had any problems. I am thinking about getting another trading computer
I'm going to look at EZ trading computers also

semiopen 
hillsborough nj

Platform: Tradestation/Excel
Broker: TradeStation
Trading: emicro
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 46

I've been considering getting a new computer also. Just sharing my thoughts, I probably understand technology a little better than I understand trading.

I have a dell XPS desktop, i7-6700 processor, 16GB, 1060 graphics to support 3 high definition monitors, and 2TB HDD.

I use Tradestation and Excel. Google chrome seems to be a bit of a pig, but what can you do.

Looking at system performance with the task manager, during RTH, memory is usually about 50% used, CPU about 25%, and GPU about 10%.

Seems to me, a faster CPU and 32GB memory would be the most obvious ways to help. I think a better graphics card would also make a difference. Maybe I'll upgrade in the unlikely event that I make a little money.

I've been curious about why trading computer places seem to like DVI (as opposed to HDMI or DP) and 1920 resolution.

Thanked by:
 aadbosma 
Amsterdam

Platform: GSB + Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: ES, NQ, NG, S, EC

Just an idea.

You might consider buying a cheaper laptop and use a VPS close to the exchange computers?

Last Updated on July 31, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts