NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My journaled journey to success

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one gordo with 83 posts (271 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 29 posts (74 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kareem40 with 19 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Mickey Caine with 6 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one gordo with 3.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Mickey Caine with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kareem40 with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,627 views
    2. thumb_up 457 thanks given
    3. group 34 followers
    1. forum 183 posts
    2. attach_file 199 attachments

Search this Thread

My journaled journey to success

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

Great pic of the grandkids lol

Good job on the post details. I think you can see correlation between your life and your trading. This demonstrates clearly the focus should not be solely on the method (entry or even exit) but on the psychological component. That component is what helps keep you sharp, minimizes errors, and determines how well you execute your method.

I think you are on the right path, just remember to focus on execution which should lead you to focusing on psychology, the methodology part is far easier in comparison so don't get consumed by indicators or trade signals.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: CL,6E
Thanks Given: 129
Thanks Received: 401

I do not come away from my trading efforts with all of the great feelings I have had so far on this run. Today I tried something new to me. I traded until I made what I considered my profit for the day. Then I drew a line on my log sheet and began ‘sim’ trading. I am already sim trading, so this may seem like an oxymoron [simulated sim trading???]. What I was doing was practicing after the practice. This is not a good concept for me. Turns out all I do is push the button and make bad decisions and just throw away money. I can’t play sim. Either I am trading, or I am not trading. For me, I have to either trade, or walk away and say I am not trading. Were they good trades? Some were, some weren’t. Overall though, I just threw away money. So I am going to log my profit, and mark my log sheet with a colored square. What does it mean? This is the day I learned a lesson. Oh yeah, I ended up $1,200 in the hole after my ‘excursion’. I was down as much as $1,660 and brought it back up a bit. My heart just wasn’t in the hunt.

So a very valuable lesson for me today. Either trade, or don’t but don’t allow myself to just push buttons and hope things work out. They won’t!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PnL.png
Views:	200
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	23680  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Alan 
Sydney - Australia

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Velocity Futures
Trading: ES, 6E
Thanks Given: 1,442
Thanks Received: 144

Hi Gordo,

Great journal. I have the same problem. Once I hit my target for the day, I change from live to sim and "practice". Generally, I find that I take a few winners in sim but then end up losing all theoretical gains made and even giving back all the profits for the day (sim only). I end up at the same or worse place.... however for some stupid reason, I still practice and sim. It does not make sense! I think the reason I tend to do worse once I'm in sim, is because psychologically I get careless and reckless and think that I'm a hot shot trader etc. Once the mindset changes, all skills and discipline go out the window. I just end up over trading. This is why I set a target and ensure I do not over trade with live funds.

In future, I shall try to cease sim trading once all targets have been hit. Bad habbits are quite hard to break!

Anyway, good luck and keep up the great work.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

gordo View Post
I do not come away from my trading efforts with all of the great feelings I have had so far on this run. Today I tried something new to me. I traded until I made what I considered my profit for the day. Then I drew a line on my log sheet and began ‘sim’ trading. I am already sim trading, so this may seem like an oxymoron [simulated sim trading???]. What I was doing was practicing after the practice. This is not a good concept for me. Turns out all I do is push the button and make bad decisions and just throw away money. I can’t play sim. Either I am trading, or I am not trading. For me, I have to either trade, or walk away and say I am not trading. Were they good trades? Some were, some weren’t. Overall though, I just threw away money. So I am going to log my profit, and mark my log sheet with a colored square. What does it mean? This is the day I learned a lesson. Oh yeah, I ended up $1,200 in the hole after my ‘excursion’. I was down as much as $1,660 and brought it back up a bit. My heart just wasn’t in the hunt.

So a very valuable lesson for me today. Either trade, or don’t but don’t allow myself to just push buttons and hope things work out. They won’t!

I theory it sounds good, but in practice I don't think it works too well.

One question comes to mind is "why". Why are you seeking out new methods? Do you believe that your biggest weakness is the method itself? I think that for the most part, sim is all about method and very little about execution and psychology (beyond the first few days, weeks, etc of sim).

To really practice execution and psychology, you have to actually trade. Sim is simply not enough.

So, if you believe that your weakness is method, sim can help. If you believe your weakness is execution or psychological, sim isn't going to really help you. Instead, a detailed journal (good job) and a good plan that holds you accountable will. Find a way to measure, adapt, change -- avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. New mistakes are fine, it's called learning -- aka experience.

A master trader is just someone who has already made all the mistakes.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

Still learning about myself. Still learning. I jumped into a trade right off the bat. I was using a friend’s ATM strategy yesterday and was going to go back to my set up today. [Trade what you know, trade what makes sense to you, trade your strategy.] I did not make the change, got into a trade that I did not have a good reason to be in and viola… a 30 tick looser! Right out of the gate!!! Now in days gone by, I would have immediately gone into panic mode and started trading like a wild animal. The end result would be a bad day. A very bad day. I went back and looked at that trade and I can not for the life of me figure out what I was looking at. And this is just moments after losing in the trade. What was I doing? More bad habits from yesterday creeping in? Am I doomed to yet another bad day???

NOT SO YOUNG JEDI!

I reset my ATM. I focused on my trades and made two good trades. Then I had a loser. Oh my, down again. Stay on task, focus, three trades later, I’m done. I traded more than I would LIKE to have traded, but I traded smartly. I noticed that I am starting to look at trades wrong and I know where this is heading. It is heading down the path of bad trading. The right thing to do is hang up my mouse for the day, update my journal and be ready for a great day tomorrow. I am not at my target for the day, but I traded well…hmmm??? Quit? Yes! And that’s what I did.

Congratulation Gordon for doing it right! Congratulations! I must remember, it is not a money battle that I am in, it is a mental battle. The money is good. After all, if I worked all day as a substitute teacher today, I would only have made $80. I did a whole lot better than that today. A whole lot better!

I want to thank Mike and Alan for their encouraging words. They are very welcome. I have five more days of sim and then I am going back live. That will give me the feel good confidence I wanted to get when I left live over a year ago. I think my method is solid and I feel like I am finally seeing the price action. Yes I have indicators, but I am not being robotic about the indicators. They just help confirm what I already see in price action.

I will be gone next Monday and Tuesday to get a 54 Ford Pickup with my son-in-law. We always need another project to work on around here. It's about 600 miles one way, so I will definately be 'getting away. That will give me a chance to see my oldest son [the Suit] and his family too.

G

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	140
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	23754  

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

Having a pretty down week. Spent two days getting my son-in-law's new truck from Kentucky (49 Dodge]. Stopped to see my son, the suit. Made a cake for two ladies. Traded like crap and am now in the dumps.

Time to get my head screwed on for next week. Time to really understand what I am doing.

I am not out looking for new indicators, I have good stuff. But I am going to really look at what I am working with and how I am or am not using those indicators. I know this works, and Friday last week was a good example of just walking away from a dead day, so I feel pretty good about that. I lost my commission, but my commission was so high, I am just making my broker happy.

This week however, I have not been focused.

Next week is going to be a good week. I just know I can do this. I am starting to feel the need to get a regular job breathing down my neck. When we were on the road, I looked at an application for Wendy’s Restaurant…sigh… I DO NOT want to go back into corporate America, but I keep sabotaging myself. That is what I need to work on. How to keep focused, trade smart and not sabotage myself.

Anyway, here are my stats for the week.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9261.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	24802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9248.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	24804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9236.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	24806   Click image for larger version

Views:	136
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24808  
Thanked by:

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

Now who wouldn’t give this cute thing Halloween candy? Isn’t she just cute as a bug??? [HA HA HA HA HA…I just kill myself sometimes!] Good thing she doesn’t look like her grandfather.

Nice day in the market. I did pretty well. I had one omission when I tried to trade when I should have been sitting on the sidelines. I forced the trade to make it look like something I wanted to have happen. Maybe a wee bit of boredom? Anyway, here are a couple of my trades and my stats. Winning always feels better than losing!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Teage Halloween 2010 022.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	24941   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10 (3 BetterRenko)  11_1_2010_1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	24943   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10 (3 BetterRenko)  11_1_2010_2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	24945   Click image for larger version

Views:	137
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	24947  

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

As I focus on my trading, my kids and grandkids are on my mind. I am constantly parying for my son still fighting the war. This picture is what happens when a military vehicle hits a 40# IED. This was in the middle of the 'road'. You can see the town in the distance. I take a look at the country side and strife there and remind myself what a blessed life I live in America. I thank God for my life and for the protection he provides my family!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC10381.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	25102  

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

gordo View Post
As I focus on my trading, my kids and grandkids are on my mind. I am constantly parying for my son still fighting the war. This picture is what happens when a military vehicle hits a 40# IED. This was in the middle of the 'road'. You can see the town in the distance. I take a look at the country side and strife there and remind myself what a blessed life I live in America. I thank God for my life and for the protection he provides my family!

Thanks for reminding us some real life while we are glued here to the screen. I say thank you G-d every day for what I have and for the things I don't have. I wish your son a safe return home.
You are blessed because you appreciate what you have.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:

gordo 
Tonganoxie, Kansas

I have had a bit of a rough go of things as of late. Time for me to be past that and get on to operating my business. Here are the trades for today.

Note: Analysis to follow, just wanted to get the pictures downloaded.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen1.png
Views:	152
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	27257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen2.png
Views:	134
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	27258  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 22, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts