NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zimmer's Journal: Naked Chart Reading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mtzimmer1 with 148 posts (380 thanks)
    2. looks_two kareem40 with 13 posts (26 thanks)
    3. looks_3 wldman with 8 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 8 posts (27 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fluid Fox with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two NW Trader with 4.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mtzimmer1 with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 27,535 views
    2. thumb_up 560 thanks given
    3. group 16 followers
    1. forum 216 posts
    2. attach_file 149 attachments

Search this Thread

Zimmer's Journal: Naked Chart Reading

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, Treasuries, Gold
Thanks Given: 2,201
Thanks Received: 1,918

kareem40 View Post
Nice call on the down side Zimmer. I am keep an eye on 2903. It is still in play and we may bounce up from there.

K

Premarket broke to 2893! Looking like a gap down today

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
34 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

Platform: NT, TS
Broker: IB, Oanda
Trading: ES, MES, MNQ, MYM
Thanks Given: 1,947
Thanks Received: 921

mtzimmer1 View Post
Premarket broke to 2893! Looking like a gap down today

True, but markets tend to respect levels and not be precise. It always over shoots. With the volatility we has recently 10 handles is not really much. A close over 2903 is a bullish trade for 20-40 points.

K

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

kareem40 View Post
True, but markets tend to respect levels and not be precise. It always over shoots. With the volatility we has recently 10 handles is not really much. A close over 2903 is a bullish trade for 20-40 points.

K

So far, we still have not close above ( 20m bars).

Thanks
K

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

First trade resulted in a loss. Per my rules I stepped away from the computer to ensure my head was clear. I came back and determined why the trade failed. The trade met all of my rules but a little bit of situational awareness probably could have prevented me from taking it. I have determined that there is no reason to not continue trading today. I will be waiting for the A+ setup that may or may not come. Patience pays.

Next!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

mtzimmer1 View Post
First trade resulted in a loss. Per my rules I stepped away from the computer to ensure my head was clear. I came back and determined why the trade failed. The trade met all of my rules but a little bit of situational awareness probably could have prevented me from taking it. I have determined that there is no reason to not continue trading today. I will be waiting for the A+ setup that may or may not come. Patience pays.

Next!

Hi Zimmer,
I hope I did not distract you with my post. If so, I am sorry. I still holding a position at a loss.
Good trading,
K

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

kareem40 View Post
Hi Zimmer,
I hope I did not distract you with my post. If so, I am sorry. I still holding a position at a loss.
Good trading,
K

No you did not distract me at all! I just went short on the RTY despite the other three indexes trading into an area of clear demand. Not a big deal. On to the next trade!

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

Trade 1:
Trend Continuation
-Target area lower.
-Projection increased.
-Trend looked good.
-Entered in Area Of Interest.
-Was stopped out in less than a minute.
100%

Results:
1 loss
-.71R

Self-Eval:
100% trade met all the conditions.

Thoughts:
I do know why this trade failed but not sure if it is cause to amend my rules or not. ES/NQ/YM were all bouncing off a floor this morning and every time they touched this demand area, russell made a new low. My thought process on this short came from a vein of green. I thought "imagine the big drop that will happen when the other three break through the floor. Russell is already the weakest, it will certainly plummet." What I should have noticed, had I been unbiased was that there was clearly demand for the other three indexes and it is never a good idea to short into a known demand area. Maybe I will amend my rules if I notice this setup resulting in future failures.

The difficult part with altering/amending my rules is I fear I will get so selective that my frequency will drop substantially. Also, had this setup worked and we had broken through the floor, this could have easily been a 2R+ trade. Maybe these setups have a lower probability of playing out but I also think that they have a larger potential for profit.

I don't want to open the door for discretion by saying that I should have avoided this trade for xyz reason.

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

No trades for me today.

Huge rally in the morning, nowhere near adequate corrections to locate an entry. Today was a good day to take breakout entries. I eliminated those setups from my rules and for that reason did nothing today.

As I write this, the current HOD is in the area I expected to halt price. Unfortunately there were no valid counter-trend entries!

Anyone catch that rally off the open?

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

I see this move lower overnight. My question is whether the buyers come in at the open and make a leg up above yesterday’s high, or whether then overnight move continues and we are able to take out the lows we put in earlier this week.

Per my rules the only setups I’ll have will be trend trades if projection and trend integrity looks good.

I am ready to take the opportunities as I see them today.

Happy trading all!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

What a day!

This is what I saw when I looked at the market today.
-Clear response from the bears to yesterdays absurd rally.
-Open near yesterdays lows.

I was curious to see if yesterdays lows would hold or break.

Trade 1:
Trend Continuation
-Break of significant "line in the sand" for the bulls.
-Continuation to the downside.
-Target FAR below.
-Entry with micro because stop was enormous. Price was moving fast and I could not enter with my usual strategy.
-I was unwilling to miss this opportunity over 10 points and entered at market with one contract.
-Stop was 70 points which equals $35 on the micros. I could afford to take 4 contracts but because I missed the ideal entry I did not want to risk quite as much.
-Trailed swing highs because I had complete conviction we would hit target. Trailed aggressive at target and captured the meat of the move.

Entry:

Exit:

Results: not counting this trade in my August stats because it was not a full entry and not completely "by the book."
1 win
Win 1.8x the size of the initial stop.

Thoughts:
Today was a great day for my portfolio as I am short stocks on the longer term. Not much action day-trading but given how much short delta I had/have on the table, I think shorting only 1 MYM was the right move. I am not absolutely sure but I think today is the largest number I've ever seen in the P/L Day column in my portfolio.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 30, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts