NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Where in the world would you trade? Relocating or pursuing a semi-nomadic lifestyle.

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Howard Roark with 12 posts (13 thanks)
    2. looks_two artemiso with 3 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 carofa with 3 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 apac with 3 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one artemiso with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two carofa with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 apac with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Howard Roark with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 4,599 views
    2. thumb_up 54 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 30 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Where in the world would you trade? Relocating or pursuing a semi-nomadic lifestyle.

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

Hi all,

The lure of being able to be geographically independent is a big part of what motivated me to pursue trading in the first place. This fall, it seems like I might have the chance to at least try that for a while or even longer if things turn out well.

My current lease will expire in July meaning I'll have to move anyway. I've also left my job to pursue trading full-time. So, with living expenses being what they are in Norway and also being a bit tired of living in this city at the moment, I've considered actually relocating to another country for a while.

I don't imagine moving around a lot due to the nature of our work, but perhaps staying in the same place for a month at a time or more permanently if life turns out to be good there.

Has anyone done anything similar? If so - any places to recommend or other advice that can be useful? I day trade US index futures, so time zone is an issue. Thailand seems to be popular for 'digital nomads', but the time zone might be a problem.

Considering the cost of living in Norway and a desire to reduce expenses while trying to make it as a full-time trader, it might even be an advantage to be living outside Norway for a while.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.

Howard

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

Google search:
https://internationalliving.com/the-cheapest-places-in-the-world-to-live/

Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Florida, great weather and in the right time zone

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

easy:

apply for a "NHR" status in Lisbon https://www.nonhabitualresidents.com/
with a "E-Residency" and Company in Estonia https://medium.com/e-residency-blog/heres-how-you-can-create-an-eu-company-with-eu-banking-anywhere-on-earth-cbba47386489

difficult :
I traveled to more than 100 Countries and my dream-country is Mauritius: 50 scuba diving center and best location for Offshore-banking . However it is difficult to get the Resident Permit.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

check with Capital Gain Tax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_gains_tax
please note that some countries like Malaysia or Singapore will see you as a trader!

I quote:
"For who does trading professionally (buying and selling securities frequently to obtain an income for living) as "traders", this will be considered income subject to personal income tax rates."

a nice project is maybe
https://fortgalt.com
the first 3 to 6 years are tax free in Chile

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
apac
Nearest City + State/Country

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 20

Howard Roark View Post
I day trade US index futures

US east coast.

If it helps, the worst trading I every did was during the periods when I was relocating to other countries (I've had 4 major moves). And that was 100% mechanical system trading. Yet the instability still managed to screw up my game every-time. Next time, I'll just stop trading for 3 weeks.

Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

apac View Post
US east coast.

If it helps, the worst trading I every did was during the periods when I was relocating to other countries (I've had 4 major moves). And that was 100% mechanical system trading. Yet the instability still managed to screw up my game every-time. Next time, I'll just stop trading for 3 weeks.

Allright.

How about Tokyo, Japan?

apac
Nearest City + State/Country

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 20

Tokyo is east Asia, and therefore it is worse for diverse liquid market trading than the more-so "west" Asian centers. Even a few hours west, eg, BGK, Sing makes a difference for US mkts: 9pm v.s. 1pm is a big difference relative to normal sleep habits. You can trade Bunds ok from 3pm local time. Cash JPY and AUD pairs via an ECN FX broker are ok choices if you can go without a centralised market place, meaningful B/O data and want to pay 20% of a 4 pip scalp in bro.

It is a compromise.

But if you want to mainly trade HSI, MJNK (and TSE stocks, maybe some ASX stocks in play). Maybe thin[er] CL?? Then Tokyo is one of the coolest and safest mega-cities you could ever live in. Great food, great lady prospects if you are single, great skiing via public transport. Sucks in summer.

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

apac View Post
Tokyo is east Asia, and therefore it is worse for diverse liquid market trading than the more-so "west" Asian centers. Even a few hours west, eg, BGK, Sing makes a difference for US mkts: 9pm v.s. 1pm is a big difference relative to normal sleep habits. You can trade Bunds ok from 3pm local time. Cash JPY and AUD pairs via an ECN FX broker are ok choices if you can go without a centralised market place, meaningful B/O data and want to pay 20% of a 4 pip scalp in bro.

It is a compromise.

But if you want to mainly trade HSI, MJNK (and TSE stocks, maybe some ASX stocks in play). Maybe thin[er] CL?? Then Tokyo is one of the coolest and safest mega-cities you could ever live in.

Yes, that's the problem and also why Thailand while seemingly a favourite among 'digital nomads' and a great bang for the buck is not ideal for traders trading US markets.

I've specialized in the ES (e-mini S&P 500) and don't see that changing anytime soon, I'm afraid. I hear great things about HSI, but would expect a transition period for learning a new market.

apac View Post
Great food, great lady prospects if you are single, great skiing via public transport. Sucks in summer.

Are you a Western living there or a local?

On the subject of lady prospects, I actually heard it was hard for western males to get anywhere with the local ladies, but maybe that's not the case then...

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 3, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts