NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

best platforms

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Soopy with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 3 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tulanch with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mattz with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 rocksolid68 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,995 views
    2. thumb_up 56 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 38 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

best platforms

Rnng7781 
Chicago

Experience: Advanced
Platform: reg
Trading: ES, YM
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 6

rocksolid68 View Post
Here is a great resource for SC:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/user/InfinityFutures[/yt]

i will check out this video. I appreciate it

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

tulanch View Post
I trade futures and have not had SC crash or slow down, even with 8 intraday charts open, a DOM open and TnS.

Thanks for your detailed response. I use TS (TradeStation) and SC, but TS for live trading (long story....). SC has been so incredibly stable and fast, unlike TS. I plan to move to SC once I can learn it well enough. The main thing that intimidates me is learning ASCIL. Your feedback is very helpful.

Do you use SC for automated strategies, chart trading, or both?

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

vmodus View Post
I plan to move to SC once I can learn it well enough. The main thing that intimidates me is learning ASCIL.

If I can jump in here, if you have an interest in programming in Sierra Chart, I think what matters the most is how much programming experience you have under your belt already. (I write indicators in SC, and did in NT and in TS before it. I don't write automated strategies because I'm too chicken to let my code trade for me . I wrote code for a living for quite a while in various languages in a previous life, though.)

If you have experience outside of trading platforms, in regular programming in any language, you will have some hurdles but will be OK. It would be better, of course, to have experience in a C-based language like C# or C++ (which SC uses.)

If you just know EasyLanguage coding in Trade Station, or a similar trading-platform script language, you will have the basics of logic down well enough, but you may take a while to get used to the different structure of C++ programming. You will definitely find that accessing the functionality of the base program will take some learning. It's not a matter of better or worse compared to TS, for example, just different.

One thing that I expect everyone experiences is that the "Help" pages in the SC web site are pretty hard to use if you don't know how they have organized things (in other words, if you need them .) I had to spend a lot of time with sample code (they do provide code for all or most of the built-in indicators, so you've got working examples to study.) This is just a matter of gutting it out, and may be grim for a while.

Since programming is essentially always logical, eventually it will become clear.

I don't know why it is, but, excellent though SC is, they do a poor job, in my view, of making it easy to learn. Once you've gotten it down, it's great though.

I used TS years and years ago, and would not go back.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. That's why there's more than one trading platform.

Bob.

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Thanks a bunch for the help!

bobwest View Post
I think what matters the most is how much programming experience you have under your belt already.

I have some programming experience, mostly around database procedural languages, but not so much object oriented programming. I am actually learning C just for fun and as a mental exercise. If I can tackle C, maybe then I can move on to an easier language like Python.

bobwest View Post
One thing that I expect everyone experiences is that the "Help" pages in the SC web site are pretty hard to use if you don't know how they have organized things

Yeah, already started muddling through that.

bobwest View Post
I don't know why it is, but, excellent though SC is, they do a poor job, in my view, of making it easy to learn. Once you've gotten it down, it's great though.

If I were so inclined and there were a large enough market for it, I would write a manual for SC once I learn it.

I will move away from TS because of some recent problems and other ongoing problems. I just have to learn it first.

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

NinjaTrader  NinjaTrader is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NinjaTrader
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NinjaTrader Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 2,686

Rnng7781 View Post
where does one go to learn how to navigate ninja or Sierra trading? youtube? any links that are good. im not to good at computer programs that require setul

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?video_library.htm

Disclosure: This communication is sent to you by NinjaTrader, LLC, a software development company which owns and supports all proprietary technology relating to and including the NinjaTrader trading platform.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SydAlgoTrader
Sydney new south Wales

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 10

I started with NT8 in about 2017, learned an awful lot and got a lot of great support form the people at Ninja. The problem was when I tried to add external C# libraries and tried to customize my platform too much, I'd invariably hit a problem, be required to reinstall and I'd lose all my customization or my whole rig would stop compiling and lose metafiles, 2 hour teamviewer support sessions to fix it etc etc. (again, phenomenal support)

I use tradestation 9.5 now, never thought I'd use it before but I like it alot. Workspaces are easy to use, its fast enough, but the data is filtered ticks and I don't like the programming language.

Tl;dr every platform will have problems or shortcomings.. you're a retail trader, expect an imperfect product.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

SydAlgoTrader View Post

Tl;dr every platform will have problems or shortcomings.. you're a retail trader, expect an imperfect product.

That's the bottom line right there. Just learn to live with the imperfections -- don't seek or expect perfection, you're not getting it.

Bob.

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

bobwest View Post
That's the bottom line right there. Just learn to live with the imperfections -- don't seek or expect perfection, you're not getting it.

Bob.

In my opinion, the approach should be from a different angle. It is not what does not work for a trader, rather what are the true functionalities that a trader needs and what does work on that platform.

You seek those functionalities that you truly need, and investigate which platform is "best" for that.
This has always been my approach when trying to find solutions for traders.

Kind regards,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

mattz View Post
In my opinion, the approach should be from a different angle. It is not what does not work for a trader, rather what are the true functionalities that a trader needs and what does work on that platform.

You seek those functionalities that you truly need, and investigate which platform is "best" for that.
This has always been my approach when trying to find solutions for traders.

Kind regards,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Well, sure. Obviously a trader should and will look for the best fit that can be had, and clearly there are some that fit one person better than others do, and it will be a somewhat individual decision. Nor are they all exactly the same.

I'm just pointing out that the search for perfection is going to come up empty. You should search for "good enough" for what you want.

Also, I've tried a whole bunch of them. Almost all were good enough, depending on how you want to look at that, in that they would show prices and take trades, and usually had the normal bells and whistles. They all had some things that you had to accept, although not "perfect."

The one I like the best, Sierra Chart, also drives me crazy with its (many) odd points.

So did TOS, TradeStation, CTS T4, OEC, TradingView, and NinjaTrader 6.5, 7 and 8, . And I didn't try a lot of the other ones.

But you could trade with any of them.

Bob.

Last Updated on April 10, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts