NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zach's Log

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fluid Fox with 277 posts (1,064 thanks)
    2. looks_two Botts with 27 posts (92 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Salao with 15 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mtzimmer1 with 12 posts (27 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fluid Fox with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Botts with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Salao with 3.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 55,195 views
    2. thumb_up 1,509 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 413 posts
    2. attach_file 326 attachments

Search this Thread

Zach's Log

Botts 
Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader-8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: ZB, MES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 4,019
Thanks Received: 3,605

Lots of levels indicated on this screenshot. Mostly highlighting the recent Inside Bars (Solid White candles)

One question comes to mind here for me: "What did the London traders do to their positions before they went home?"

Did they cover their shorts?,
Did they add to their shorts?,
Did they take profit on their Longs?, or
Did they add to their Longs?

No way to know for certain, but it looks like some short covering and possibly added to some longs,
(right before you got short.)

R.I.P. John Bottomley (Botts), 1956-2022.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,968
Thanks Received: 2,711

+7 points. I entered this trade at 11AM yesterday, and closed it at 10AM this morning. It was my first live swing trade (albeit a very short-term swing trade). I could've done much, much better in managing it, because I didn't have a set profit target, but I did have the idea that 3150 was a good exit if price were to consolidate up there this morning. We came within 5-6 points of that figure around 8PM last night, but I was irresponsibly unaware of this until 3AM this morning when I finally checked on the trade. Had I closed right then, I would've gained more than double the amount I did today (I calculated ~16 points). With that being said, I've learned that I can hold a live trade for almost 24 hours, and that's some useful information. It doesn't bother me that much holding a trade overnight. 9/10, would do it again.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we reached 3150 today, or if we touched or break the ATH established in the ON session. What had me concerned this morning about holding this trade longer was the rejection from that ATH level ON, and how we bounced off of the VAH of today at 3138 (sellers came in relatively strong). I wanted to see strength up there that I didn't see, although I was anxious to get out of the trade by the end of it: As stated probably months ago, it seems I don't have a problem with being in a trade as long as I don't look at my charts. For this case though, I had to to determine my exit. With my next swing trade, I'll have a profit target set, along with exit conditions at various price levels (I'll be prepared).

Anyways, good gain for the day. I may take another trade soon if things pan out. Price action is looking choppy as of right now though, so it seems unlikely. We're trading between 33.75 and 38.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Zachary Standley View Post
Attachment 280650

+7 points. I entered this trade at 11AM yesterday, and closed it at 10AM this morning. It was my first live swing trade (albeit a very short-term swing trade). I could've done much, much better in managing it, because I didn't have a set profit target, but I did have the idea that 3150 was a good exit if price were to consolidate up there this morning. We came within 5-6 points of that figure around 8PM last night, but I was irresponsibly unaware of this until 3AM this morning when I finally checked on the trade. Had I closed right then, I would've gained more than double the amount I did today (I calculated ~16 points). With that being said, I've learned that I can hold a live trade for almost 24 hours, and that's some useful information. It doesn't bother me that much holding a trade overnight. 9/10, would do it again.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we reached 3150 today, or if we touched or break the ATH established in the ON session. What had me concerned this morning about holding this trade longer was the rejection from that ATH level ON, and how we bounced off of the VAH of today at 3138 (sellers came in relatively strong). I wanted to see strength up there that I didn't see, although I was anxious to get out of the trade by the end of it: As stated probably months ago, it seems I don't have a problem with being in a trade as long as I don't look at my charts. For this case though, I had to to determine my exit. With my next swing trade, I'll have a profit target set, along with exit conditions at various price levels (I'll be prepared).

Anyways, good gain for the day. I may take another trade soon if things pan out. Price action is looking choppy as of right now though, so it seems unlikely. We're trading between 33.75 and 38.

nice trade, don't forget its thanksgiving week and vol's could be much lower as people leave for the holiday

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

TopGunNote View Post
Lots of levels indicated on this screenshot. Mostly highlighting the recent Inside Bars (Solid White candles)

One question comes to mind here for me: "What did the London traders do to their positions before they went home?"

Did they cover their shorts?,
Did they add to their shorts?,
Did they take profit on their Longs?, or
Did they add to their Longs?

No way to know for certain, but it looks like some short covering and possibly added to some longs,
(right before you got short.)

Your reply made me remember that screenshot you posted here awhile back:

What left the biggest impression on me was the "Trend Reversal Period." Now that I can and do trade later than 10:45AM EST, these other key times will be useful to me. I'll be sure to consider what's most likely to happen at the London close now (which I was totally ignorant of), and I could get familiar with the other key times- not that I'd make a habit of trading after 12PM EST. Thanks for the reminder, @TopGunNote.

Thanked by:

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

MiniP View Post
nice trade, don't forget its thanksgiving week and vol's could be much lower as people leave for the holiday

-P

Thanks @MiniP

Yeah, it being thanksgiving week / with there being less volume traded certainly contributed to my concern of holding the trade any longer. That gap up yesterday in the daily chart got me.. Still, a good play. I'll trade it again in the future.

Thanked by:

Botts 
Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader-8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: ZB, MES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 4,019
Thanks Received: 3,605

Your reply made me remember that screenshot you posted here awhile back:

What left the biggest impression on me was the "Trend Reversal Period."

Thanks for remembering,

Just one thing I'd like to point out.

I called it a "Counter Trend Period" - NOT - a "Trend Reversal Period".

Big difference mentally if you're looking for a "possible" move Counter to the direction established since the Regular Trading Hour session opened versus an outright Reversal.

One term suggests it might be a subtle move.

The other suggests a more dramatic turn of events.

Don't give it a name that gives it more power than it actually deserves.

Just being aware of a possible change during that 30 minute period that spans the end of the first hour after the RTH open [10:15 - 10:45 ET] should be enough to be aware of.

Then let the price action tell you what to do if you see something during that time.

Trade well,
John B.

R.I.P. John Bottomley (Botts), 1956-2022.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

TopGunNote View Post
Thanks for remembering,

Just one thing I'd like to point out.

I called it a "Counter Trend Period" - NOT - a "Trend Reversal Period".

Big difference mentally if you're looking for a "possible" move Counter to the direction established since the Regular Trading Hour session opened versus an outright Reversal.

One term suggests it might be a subtle move.

The other suggests a more dramatic turn of events.

Don't give it a name that gives it more power than it actually deserves.

Just being aware of a possible change during that 30 minute period that spans the end of the first hour after the RTH open [10:15 - 10:45 ET] should be enough to be aware of.

Then let the price action tell you what to do if you see something during that time.

Trade well,
John B.

My bad.. It's the first set of words that came to my mind when recalling your screenshot. I mis-remembered it, and have obviously equivocated what I've accidentally been calling it to what it should technically be referred to as. I implicitly recognize that in that time period, opposing sentiment could enter the market.

Just a disclaimer: I also recognize that I am a bone-head, so there will be more of these kind of misunderstandings and mistakes on my part.

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Didn't even bother looking at the charts this morning, no trades. I can't wait for this Thanksgiving mania to be over..

Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

Didn't even bother looking at the charts this morning, no trades. I can't wait for this Thanksgiving mania to be over..

LOL @ Thanksgiving mania... you mean that one little obscure holiday stuck in the middle of Christmas Fest?

Thanked by:

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Rrrracer View Post
LOL @ Thanksgiving mania... you mean that one little obscure holiday stuck in the middle of Christmas Fest?

That's the one! A time for turkey, pie and alcohol. Also a time for thorough conversation. Any other trader here have a difficult time explaining what day trading is to a clueless relative? Despite that, I've had a great Thanksgiving.. I like trading more, though.

Can't wait for next week!

Last Updated on December 31, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts