NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zach's Log

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fluid Fox with 277 posts (1,064 thanks)
    2. looks_two Botts with 27 posts (92 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Salao with 15 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 snax with 12 posts (32 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fluid Fox with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Botts with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Salao with 3.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 55,168 views
    2. thumb_up 1,509 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 413 posts
    2. attach_file 326 attachments

Search this Thread

Zach's Log

jba1962 
TampaFL

Experience: Master
Platform: TWS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 97
Thanks Received: 374

Sorry to hear that. I've enjoyed reading your posts. It's funny - I sometimes think about how I am going to explain things since I started my own journal, especially when I screw up an execution, or don't act in a disciplined manner. So I get what you're saying about thinking about what you're going to write affecting your thought process.

But there is one big difference. I don't care what anyone thinks of my trading. That sounds bad, but believe me, I don't mean it that way. I do what I feel is best for me because that's what I need to do to be successful. If somebody likes what I do, great! but if they don't that's OK too. We can go about things in various ways and each find success.

I do hope you post updates on occasion (or more) and I do hope you have the success you are working for. This is a great way to make a living.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

Zachary Standley View Post
I've decided that I'm going to privatize my trading. The main reason for this is that I no longer have the desire to put my progress on display because it inevitably becomes a social posture for me. I find it as gratifying to get "Thank You's" as I did whenever I received likes on Facebook in the past. This may sound silly to some of you, but it's the truth. I've realized that I've been curve-fitting my account of daily trades here to adjust to the possible judgments of the community, which only hurts me in the end. By no means am I saying this is a bad place- because it's not at all- I just know how I operate, and I think this is the best decision for my trading right now.

I will continue to update this journal, but not as frequently as I have been the past 8 months. I won't be posting about my PnL or how many points I made on a given day, because it seems to fuel my attachment to wanting to win and make money. I'll come here to philosophize to the extent that I can, and I will keep everyone who is interested updated on my general progress.

They say that trading is a lonely business....I say: for many it should be. Best of luck!

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantia risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, ES
Thanks Given: 495
Thanks Received: 1,084

I've decided that I'm going to privatize my trading. The main reason for this is that I no longer have the desire to put my progress on display because it inevitably becomes a social posture for me. I find it as gratifying to get "Thank You's" as I did whenever I received likes on Facebook in the past. This may sound silly to some of you, but it's the truth. I've realized that I've been curve-fitting my account of daily trades here to adjust to the possible judgments of the community, which only hurts me in the end. By no means am I saying this is a bad place- because it's not at all- I just know how I operate, and I think this is the best decision for my trading right now.

I will continue to update this journal, but not as frequently as I have been the past 8 months. I won't be posting about my PnL or how many points I made on a given day, because it seems to fuel my attachment to wanting to win and make money. I'll come here to philosophize to the extent that I can, and I will keep everyone who is interested updated on my general progress.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I think the journaling "thing" is a very individual decision. For me, at this point in my trading, I find the encouragement and the occasional critique helpful. Plus, when I have to write down honestly even the bone-headed trades i make, I find that helps reinforce whatever lesson I learned from that trade. So I will continue as long as I find it helpful for me and as long as I feel I can make positive contributions to the other traders here.

I wish you the very best of luck and I'll continue to watch for your occasional updates. Happy trading!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

kareem40 
Dallas, TX
Legendary TradeTheBar

Platform: NT, TS
Broker: IB, Oanda
Trading: ES, MES, MNQ, MYM
Thanks Given: 1,947
Thanks Received: 921

Hi Zack,
I fully understand and respect your decision. Here is a suggestion, do your own blog and post daily, still. Most probably no one will find/read it ( no pun intended). Writing a daily will help you as it helped me. I did that for a long time before coming back to FIO. It's like the boss at the end of the day that you need to explain your actions to. It's never about how much money you make, its about did you do what you suppose to do. It's hard to do that on your own; the cycle may continue. Trading has been, and still is, the hardest thing I ever tried.
I look forward to seeing you back soon.
Take care,
K

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

snax 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Price Action Student

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Edge Clear
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 9,617
Thanks Received: 9,627

You have to do what is best for you. I'll miss your terrific writing (at least in the quantity I am used to), but I totally respect your decision. I hope you'll be around here somewhat regularly, you've inspired me many times, so thank you for that!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,452
Thanks Received: 26,278

I've decided that I'm going to privatize my trading. The main reason for this is that I no longer have the desire to put my progress on display because it inevitably becomes a social posture for me.

I've been there many times, and currently am also somewhat in a break situation. Some of the reasons are similar, some are not... but the only thing that matters is to do what works best for you, as you see it.

I have also enjoyed your journal, as many have said, but it has to help you or it's not worth your time.

Do well, and let us know what's going on, when it's a good time for you.

You do have a ton of friends here, who all wish you well.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

join in on the chat on the home page, you don't have to talk trading but its nice to be able to communicate with like minded people

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,584
Thanks Received: 5,870

I have learned a lot from your daily posting and will miss it! I too have taken a hiatus from daily journaling and have often wondered how much it affects my trading. I have no answers there my friend and if I did they would only be applicable to myself I'm sure. I find the introspection that is required for writing a worthwhile journal post valuable but often difficult to lay out to the world. I would often get caught up in how my thoughts and actions would be received by others traders and this probably skewed my rationalization of things sometimes. Or it would translate into a less than truly honest presentation. But I'm aware of this now so I've been thinking about giving it another go sometime...maybe.

Keep in touch and trade well @Zachary Standley !

Thanked by:

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,968
Thanks Received: 2,711

Just a quick update.

I haven't really been trading much the past week or so; instead, I've mostly been hanging out with friends, and doing whatever I please while the summer lasts up here. I especially haven't been motivated to trade in the mornings, so I don't trade as a pre-caution, because that apathy and state of mind has hurt my account in the past. I only took 2 trades early last week, and they were good trades. I'm just not into it right now, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm having too much fun?

I'll re-commit to my old morning routine this coming Monday. Getting sloppy over here.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,968
Thanks Received: 2,711

I did a pretty great job today, regardless of not going through my expected morning routine. I looked at my charts at 9:35ish (I only trade after 10am now), right after taking a nap. My analysis was brief and very simple, and in the end of today's trading- I didn't follow one of my rules, that I'm thinking I should get rid of altogether. I was to go long if price regressed back down to a promising LVN- but that didn't happen. Instead, price rose ever-higher, surpassing some lesser-significant prices, and reaching lesser LVNs as well. I actually went short right before lesser LVN 2981.75 after noticing (or thinking..) price was slowing down a little bit. The delta in hindsight shows that price wasn't slowing down bullishly- it was actually increasing. I suppose I was viewing the market in somewhat of a distorted way, because I expected it to turn around because I perceived price action as being slow- and ordinarily, in my experience, what follows that kind of behavior is a reversal. Anyways, I quickly got stopped out from the false breakout, then price reversed in my direction. I was just early.

I believe my read of the OrderFlow was correct, as price action did reverse, and I say this because I believe this type of read (my real-time analysis) has longevity as an edge, regardless of the daily chart being the other sentiment. I've pulled this trade off before, and I like it because it's so inconspicuous. It's funny, right after I got stopped out, I thought- yeah, now it's going to reverse.. I naturally became on the side of caution after that loss, so I just watched price action, then closed down NT after noticing I had missed my opportunity.

I'm just now coming out of my haze, a haze that has come and gone over the course of this last month. I have felt mentally weak in my trading and in my personal life, but I felt confident today, even after losing. I felt especially confident in my entry- and that matters the most to me.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on December 31, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts