NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Lost & losing hope

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xevanchan with 19 posts (55 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 11 posts (73 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kazz with 9 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 8 posts (46 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 14.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 6.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 5.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xevanchan with 2.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 57,573 views
    2. thumb_up 700 thanks given
    3. group 106 followers
    1. forum 208 posts
    2. attach_file 32 attachments

Search this Thread

Lost & losing hope

Silicon
Gilbert Arizona

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont futures products have the highest leverage?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
77 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
38 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage - Philip Capital
Trading: NQ,ES,6E,CL
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,672

Silicon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont futures products have the highest leverage?

leverage <> risk

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,585
Thanks Received: 5,870

I just re-read my post and it seemed like a personal attack. I didn't mean it like that so I apologize.

As far as I know futures...which is limited...you are correct. But OPTIONS are multidimensional and and most retail have a limited understanding of how they work. I just think it's a bad idea to go on a forum full of retail traders and recommend selling premium.

The point is...be safe.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
Silicon
Gilbert Arizona

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

Leverage = debt = risk

Maybe notional value is a better way of putting it.

I'm not offended.

You're over complicating options. They're fairly straightforward.

And I disagree, I think it's a great idea to inform people on the subject, and to understand you don't always have to make directional, un-defined risk trades.

Every veteran trader knows everything about the markets, wether it's options, or calendar spreads. Don't sell yourself short by not understanding everything the markets have to offer

Thanked by:

oldsaltie 
Seattle+Washington/USA

Trading: Stocks, ETFs
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

Xevancha

I’ve mentored a lot of traders over the years and what you’re experiencing is not uncommon. Here is some of the biggest and usual culprits. First, most traders NEVER realize how synced their performance is to general market movement and volatility. Most usually do fairly well during strong directional markets / trends and increasing volatility but struggle when the market is going sideways or against what they are trading (unless future or stock has a specific exogenous catalyst). And struggle when the VIX is falling or below 20. This demonstrates, in essence, a ‘market model’ which most don’t’ have and could benefit from. Marty Zweig and Ned Davis both wrote some good books about various market models / market timing.

Second, most trade the hard pennies (ranges, choppy trends, difficult contracting patterns, etc.) instead of the easy dollars (strong trends, identifiable trends, obvious turning points). Prices consistently cycle between expansion and contraction. The time to be aggressive is during expansion and cautious during contraction. One must look for this on multiple time frames. Also, they take large / high risk breakout entries / wait for maximum confirmation instead smaller risk pullback entries or aggressive trend line / range break or range retest entries. Most over trade and trade too large. Position sizes that are too large make discipline extremely difficult and nearly impossible to sit through small, normal lateral consolidations / pullbacks... so they choke the trade.

Third, you don’t need anything fancy just price and volume, some simple trend and range lines. Most people make it unnecessarily complicated. They also jump from strategy to strategy. When I look at your charts I see some very common mistakes. I marked a few up with simple concepts and hope it helps. I also have tons of trades and free educational stuff on my own private website (ZazenCapital.com) maybe it will help or at least give you some ideas. Simple things like retests of swing highs and lows, pullbacks to trend lines offer solid info that can improve your trading. Moving averages can also be helpful tools.

Most I’ve worked with don’t really understand price and trend structures, so they don’t have any idea what they are seeing on the chart. Their focus is so myopic, just on their one little piece of the trade instead of ALL the surrounding context around their “setups”. Additionally, most don’t even come close to having a REAL trading plan or even a specifically defined setup / repeatable methodology. Not a single trader I’ve worked with, no matter how ‘together’ they thought they were, came to me with a clear ‘If / then” setup, trading plan or market model.

Now obviously I’m not saying you make any of these mistakes. Just pointing out common ones I’ve observed that hinder performance…. and hoping some of this info helps. Best of luck ;-P

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 03-19 (7500 Volume Heiken-Ashi) 2019_01_16 (11_15_13 AM) Feedback.png
Views:	395
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	261650   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 03-19 2019_01_15  Feedback.png
Views:	373
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	261651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Range Feedback.png
Views:	371
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	261652  
bloom
Russia

Thanks Given: 47
Thanks Received: 591

What you got is what you deserve. This is tough business. Welcome
This is WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE to be successfull trader. 75% of this MASTHAVE

I bet you cant play this game. Also you cant manage your Emotions and mind. This is why you failed. Lesson to learn.
You need to cover Order Flow and Psychological stuff to succeed in this game.

TraderTS 
Texas, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: AMP Futures w/ CQG Data Feed
Trading: ES+MES+TechStocks as of 2022 Previous: ES GC CL [4MES2ES as of 2019MAY] and [4MGC2GC as of 2021JAN]
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 389

OldSaltie View Post
Third, you don’t need anything fancy just price and volume, some simple trend and range lines. Most people make it unnecessarily complicated. They also jump from strategy to strategy.

bobwest View Post
There's nothing wrong with not going Elite, but that's why it's there.
---------------
Basically, understand that everyone goes through exactly what you are experiencing. You can find help and support, and I hope that just knowing you're not alone is a help also.

I was "YOU" ten years ago, but sadly... I didn't even know about FIO aka BMT forum back then to find help and support.
You are not alone, Old Saltie already has given you an excellent technique to start learning and Bob already suggested many reasons why you should become an Elite member. Just be able to download some of the indicators from @Fat Tails would save you half the time requires to do homework because E-Mini tends to back-fill, test, and retest key levels.

Over the holidays, I have been thinking about my new game plans as well as "Actionable Journal" after
listening to this link from Futures Radio Show with topic "Trading Volatile Markets - Morad Askar aka FuturesTrader71".
https://futuresradioshow.com/podcast/ms49/?utm_source=Futures+Radio&utm_campaign...9956&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

Algo or HFT programs are running at more than 80% in NYSE session... whole different GAME now... new NORMAL is NOT normal... not to mention about "Artificial Intelligence in Markets". Think not only Volatility but EXTREME Volatility!

You are the only one who can decide to continue or not, but know that if you continue then you are at the beginning of the journey, so give yourself time to learn.
If you ask FuturesTrader71, how long does it take to be profitable ES Trader? He would say it takes 5 years... the same number of years that a pro-Trader told me during my first year; I didn't really believe it then but I do now.

Speaking of homework, here are my new "Actionable Journal" and couple charts to show how the Bears lost their battle with 2592 Line In The Sand.
Just to show "less is more" and "trade it & forget it" from RTH 30M Chart for a SwingL2535; interesting where it stopped at EOD with 2677.75 as HOD.
Could be a decent pullback as Crude Oil is rolling over to March contracts, huh?

Find the missing piece of the puzzle... Let's be amazing, be awesome in trading today!
iTS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlgosSetup.Daily.Summary.2MON_2019-01-14.png
Views:	321
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	261661   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlgosSetup.Daily.Summary.3TUE_2019-01-15.png
Views:	333
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	261662   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlgosSetup.Daily.Summary.4WED_2019-01-16.png
Views:	261
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	261663   Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.1 revInDay.W03TUE.@9amET.reTestedONL=pb61%L2582T2609 ES 03-19 (10 Minute) 2019_01_15 (9_35_54.png
Views:	385
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	261665   Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.0 revInDay.W03TUE.iPullback61%L2582T2609!hit=$TP.ES 03-19 (10 Minute) 2019_01_15 (11_57_16 AM.png
Views:	361
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	261666   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTH.SwingL2353#buABCT200%2672!hit.ES 03-19 (30 Minute) 2019_01_18 (12_32_54 PM).png
Views:	339
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	261667  
Thanked by:
kazz
London

Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 78

Fxfutures1976 View Post
With all due respect you are a beginer so i very much doubt that you are consistently profitable and not eligible to give advice on how long it takes.
In fact the 10,000 hours needs to be at least double or triple to even stand a chance of making it. it is very very very difficult.

Thanks. Firstly, I'm not here to get into spats with anyone but if I see something I don't agree with I'll call it out.

You are right, I am a beginner but not sure how you would know that. I'll take it that you made an assumption.

I still don't agree that you need to put in 10,000 to learn how to trade.

Some people can learn to trade very profitably in 1,000 hours. Some can toil away at it for 20,000 hours and still lose money.

In my opinion a beginner needs to learn 2 things:

1. Controlling emotions.

2. Risk managment.

The rest can be learnt over time. However, if you don't master the above 2 then you are scuppered.

I'm sure that there are many profitable traders on this forum who have become very profitable in far less than 10,000 hours.

Trading is difficult, I agree, but let's not over egg the difficulty - it's not like learning nuclear physics for example.

Fxfutures1976 
London

Experience: Advanced
Platform: cqg integrated,ninjatrade
Trading: Futures and forex
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 69

kazz View Post
Thanks. Firstly, I'm not here to get into spats with anyone but if I see something I don't agree with I'll call it out.

You are right, I am a beginner but not sure how you would know that. I'll take it that you made an assumption.

I still don't agree that you need to put in 10,000 to learn how to trade.

Some people can learn to trade very profitably in 1,000 hours. Some can toil away at it for 20,000 hours and still lose money.

In my opinion a beginner needs to learn 2 things:

1. Controlling emotions.

2. Risk managment.

The rest can be learnt over time. However, if you don't master the above 2 then you are scuppered.

I'm sure that there are many profitable traders on this forum who have become very profitable in far less than 10,000 hours.

Trading is difficult, I agree, but let's not over egg the difficulty - it's not like learning nuclear physics for example.

I know that you're a beginner because you have stated that in your description. haha.

Ok, if you believe all that then good luck to you. but prepare for a very long and difficult road ahead.

Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

this thread is making me lost and losing hope

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi

Last Updated on April 22, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts