NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

If you could automate your current methodology, would you?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tolyadzn with 4 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two DavidHP with 3 posts (13 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Ozquant with 3 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Sawtooth with 3 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Ozquant with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TradingOgre with 6.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 4.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,446 views
    2. thumb_up 205 thanks given
    3. group 35 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

If you could automate your current methodology, would you?

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

traderpards View Post
Well, at least I haven't found a way. I've been trying to automate trading for about 8 years, coding every thing I possibly can. Some things I don't know how to code.

So I've switched to semi-automatic trading. If the situation strikes my fancy, I'll click a button and let the strategy take the trade that I see forming. That's been working much better than a fully automated system.

gosh.

This sounds like a great post...

good stuff.

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,564

I can not believe the statements of NOT making money some posters here are playing out.
In contrary I have 2 journals here on fio - one system is semi-automated - means the trades are alerted by SMS before and then I start the trade upon such an alert manually. Nearly all trades had been announced here in the journal before being taken. It is a very simple pattern recognition system which gave over the years a good bunch of positive points.
Last year just 7 trades with a mean of 56 points (x25 EUR/point and contract) which is consistent and obviously destined for a fully automated system. Of course it is only for high volatility days (with exclusive day trading). Only the year 2017 gave not a single trade
Here the glimpse on the results 2018 from the journal:
All the rules are open for free in the first post of that same thread. As long that thread is not closed or post 1 changed
As we can see - consistency and accuracy in very different periods are really possible on a given instrument.
Plus the program is not 30k lines - but in reality less than 100.

Just a glimpse on great pattern recognition within charts - that can be found by thousands.

GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
tolyadzn
Berlin

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 20

GFIs1 View Post
I can not believe the statements of NOT making money some posters here are playing out.
In contrary I have 2 journals here on fio - one system is semi-automated - means the trades are alerted by SMS before and then I start the trade upon such an alert manually. Nearly all trades had been announced here in the journal before being taken. It is a very simple pattern recognition system which gave over the years a good bunch of positive points.
Last year just 7 trades with a mean of 56 points (x25 EUR/point and contract) which is consistent and obviously destined for a fully automated system. Of course it is only for high volatility days (with exclusive day trading). Only the year 2017 gave not a single trade
Here the glimpse on the results 2018 from the journal:
All the rules are open for free in the first post of that same thread. As long that thread is not closed or post 1 changed
As we can see - consistency and accuracy in very different periods are really possible on a given instrument.
Plus the program is not 30k lines - but in reality less than 100.

Just a glimpse on great pattern recognition within charts - that can be found by thousands.

GFIs1

There are million ways how you can do it.
the differents is, I have more than 500 trades per month in CL.

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Thanked by:
 Koepisch 
@ Germany

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: FDAX
Thanks Given: 440
Thanks Received: 518

Most often after long testing sessions i put one idea more at the "one million systems failed" bin. I think that reliable patterns are very difficult to find. My common story ends with very good months results but unable to filter out the loosing streaks.

tolyadzn View Post
There are million ways how you can do it.
the differents is, I have more than 500 trades per month in CL.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
tolyadzn
Berlin

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 20

Koepisch View Post
Most often after long testing sessions i put one idea more at the "one million systems failed" bin. I think that reliable patterns are very difficult to find. My common story ends with very good months results but unable to filter out the loosing streaks.

I dont have such Things like timeframes or something. I use 1 Volume data Series for calculating. All calculation of my algo are based on orderflow and Limit orders. So it dont depends on different market situation.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 tulanch 
Salt Lake City, UT

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SC, NT, MT
Broker: AMP
Trading: NQ ES YM Bonds
Thanks Given: 50
Thanks Received: 386

Lately I am focused on DOM trading , watching the ebb and flow, hitting when coinciding markets align. Automation of this approach would be very challenging (if not impossible) as the process would need to establish " a sense of feeling" which is the cause at that moment to enter as well as exit - its more of an art than discrete science. Its definitely not apparently based on any signally identifiable, normalized, gauged measure or number. Yet, it's not complex either. Is it going to go, Yes, get in. Is it done, Yes, get out. Are you wrong, get out. Context is king as well as confidence and decisions, which are based on everything in/at the moment.

Thanked by:
 tulanch 
Salt Lake City, UT

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SC, NT, MT
Broker: AMP
Trading: NQ ES YM Bonds
Thanks Given: 50
Thanks Received: 386

flamboyant View Post
If the system is able to constantly curve fit there`s a tiny chance for the intraday.

I have found curve fitting to be useless and have come to believe there is no equation to correctly define the market - too many unbounded forcing factors and constants for any math equation I have attempted to derive. As stated in other posts it's software so with money and time it can be solved. I think the solution is rooted in observation of action and reaction.

Thanked by:
arun28887
kozhikode,kerala,india

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 5

automation doesnt work most of the time.As the profit we books depends on the entry we make. Thes successful entry can be done watching the market as market is a dynamic beast.

Thanked by:
Ozquant
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 380

arun28887 View Post
automation doesnt work most of the time.As the profit we books depends on the entry we make. Thes successful entry can be done watching the market as market is a dynamic beast.

AND automated systems can be dynamic and really need to be . I was a discretionary trader for over a decade and a decent one at that but my discretionary results cannot come close to competing against my mechanical systems . AS discussed by previous posters its the skillset required to produce robust logical systems that stand the test of time . Its easier to become a doctor/lawyer . MAxover , macd . rsi , stoch, fibs ( insert any generic POS ) aint going to cut it . If you cant do it you are the weak link , end of story ... YOU NEED TO INNOVATE , be unique , find uncommon edges . DO what everyone else does and expect above average returns is delusional . What you measure and define to produce a decision tree that produces signals is what matters . It isn't easy and i wouldn't have it any other way , its what makes it worthwhile. When you say it CANT be done all you are saying is YOU CANT do it , don't impress your limitations upon others . This takes years not 3 weeks of curve fitting , needs a special way of thinking , of course not many can do it , it's the way it is . Most people fail at trading and auto is the pinnacle so the failure rate is exponentially higher . Most here should probably go do something else , no offence intended . Reality is a bitch ..

Edit ... If you think every builtin indicator on every platform has not been MLed , optimized , curve fitted and manipulated to death think again . Its a horse beat to death 1000's of times . The answer lies outside this . Time to build a new " Horse "

Oxmyx 
Denver + CO

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Guitar
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

Yes, I would. But I'd still be worried about the anomalies.

Last Updated on June 18, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts