NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

If you could automate your current methodology, would you?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tolyadzn with 4 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two DavidHP with 3 posts (13 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Ozquant with 3 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Sawtooth with 3 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Ozquant with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shodson with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 4.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 DavidHP with 4.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,426 views
    2. thumb_up 205 thanks given
    3. group 35 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

If you could automate your current methodology, would you?

tolyadzn
Berlin

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 20

Trader825 View Post
I'd rather have algo assisted trades rather than full automation. My strategy currently has a 78% win percentage. And I'm not about to try and figure out how to automate an order flow based strategy....even if it could be done.

If you have some question if it even possible, feel free to ask. It take some time, because you have to try everything out. You Need very very good Programming Skills.
You can programm almost everything you want, it is just a question of Skills.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

I already do. It's been a long journey/obsession for almost 10 years now. All intraday trading is fully automated, but I determine which strategies to run/not run based on the current trend and volatility market regime. Other trading is part discretionary backed with data-driven signals on daily time frames.

As for platforms, I've gone from NT 6.5, then 7, then to 8, but since I also day-trade options now I've moved over to custom C# code talking to my IB account. I still use Ninja to generate daily time frame signals and to model trading ideas quickly or when I need lots of stock/futures historical data to backtest, but I maintain some large SQL databases I am using more an more and using NT less and less as time goes by.

I'm still amazed at how few brokers offer APIs to their platform to retail traders. I see that changing, but the larger firms don't seem to care, it seems to be coming from the grass-roots or new/upstart firms. In crypto, every exchange that matters has an API. I'm hoping the new "small" exchange, announced by Sosnoff recently, will have APIs for retail traders & developers or at least so their brokers can offer it to their clients.

Auto-trading is not a quick path to retirement though. Operating them, updating data daily, and constantly researching the changing nature of the market and other types of strategies is still a lot of work, so it's not a "turn on the computer ATM machine and spend the day at the beach" sort of life, at least not for me (yet?). The intellectual challenge keeps me engaged. The profits are nice too

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Sawtooth 
Prescott AZ USA

Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Stage5, FCM:Dorman, Data:Denali, Routing:Teton
Trading: YM ES NQ
Thanks Given: 216
Thanks Received: 603

shodson View Post
I already do. It's been a long journey/obsession for almost 10 years now. All intraday trading is fully automated, but I determine which strategies to run/not run based on the current trend and volatility market regime. Other trading is part discretionary backed with data-driven signals on daily time frames.

As for platforms, I've gone from NT 6.5, then 7, then to 8, but since I also day-trade options now I've moved over to custom C# code talking to my IB account. I still use Ninja to generate daily time frame signals and to model trading ideas quickly or when I need lots of stock/futures historical data to backtest, but I maintain some large SQL databases I am using more an more and using NT less and less as time goes by.

I'm still amazed at how few brokers offer APIs to their platform to retail traders. I see that changing, but the larger firms don't seem to care, it seems to be coming from the grass-roots or new/upstart firms. In crypto, every exchange that matters has an API. I'm hoping the new "small" exchange, announced by Sosnoff recently, will have APIs for retail traders & developers or at least so their brokers can offer it to their clients.

Auto-trading is not a quick path to retirement though. Operating them, updating data daily, and constantly researching the changing nature of the market and other types of strategies is still a lot of work, so it's not a "turn on the computer ATM machine and spend the day at the beach" sort of life, at least not for me (yet?). The intellectual challenge keeps me engaged. The profits are nice too

What you describe is semi-autotrading. It's simply not possible to completely automate trading and also be sustainably profitable..
So when I say that there is no such thing as a profitable autotrader, I'm referring to "turn on the computer ATM machine and spend the day at the beach" , set and forget, 100% automatic.

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,686
Thanks Received: 2,651

I do not see a way to automize my way of trading.

I decide on entering / exiting a trade according to fundmental data (eg. Supply & demand, Seasonals, COT data), deciding each trade separately. Time horizon for my trades is weeks to months.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 binaryduke 
London UK

Platform: Sierra Chart, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, CL, GC, ZB

tomgilb View Post
It's simply not possible to completely automate trading.

An interesting and very absolute statement.

If one has rigid setups however they are defined, how is it simply not possible to completely automate these setups?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 Sawtooth 
Prescott AZ USA

Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Stage5, FCM:Dorman, Data:Denali, Routing:Teton
Trading: YM ES NQ
Thanks Given: 216
Thanks Received: 603

binaryduke View Post
An interesting and very absolute statement.

If one has rigid setups however they are defined, how is it simply not possible to completely automate these setups?

I meant to say that it's simply not possible to completely automate trading and also be sustainably profitable.

IOW, there are no automated rigid setups that will produce sustainable profitability.

Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,327
Thanks Received: 2,743

tomgilb View Post
I meant to say that it's simply not possible to completely automate trading and also be sustainably profitable.

IOW, there are no automated rigid setups that will produce sustainable profitability.

Perhaps your skill level will not allow this.

I've always said, that anything can be programmed.
The impossible just takes longer and costs more.

A few years ago, self-driving cars were thought impossible.
Today they are quickly becoming an impossible reality.

I have no doubt it is possible.
But at my age (69) I would rather spend my remaining years enjoying life and not programming the impossible just to prove it can be done.

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Ozquant
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 380

tomgilb View Post

When someone says it cant be done all they are doing is expressing their limitations . No-one elses , certainly not mine .

Thanked by:
 flamboyant 
Cancun

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart, MarketDelta
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 29

DavidHP View Post
I have no doubt it is possible..

If the system is able to constantly curve fit there`s a tiny chance for the intraday.

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

While I probably agree with this absolute statement, I think the pursuit of automation is worthwhile, whether you're automating entries and exits with limit orders and OCO exit brackets, or trying to devise entry/exit/sizing/risk mgt heuristics. A 100% hands-off black box, that is sustainably profitable is hard to do, would be difficult to build but may be possible. You'd have to enjoy the pursuit to get there.

tomgilb View Post

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 18, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts