NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Van Tharp's SQN (system quality number)

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 9 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Luger with 5 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Wikmar with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one caprica with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Luger with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Wikmar with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,470 views
    2. thumb_up 26 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Van Tharp's SQN (system quality number)

buzzsaw 
Leesburg, VA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Received: 35

What are those failures? Will you be sharing your excel replacements?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

nivi
Madrid, Spain

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 6

NinjaTrader Failure:
- Optimize 30min time frame it takes the same time than optimize 1min time frame.
- When you make backtest or optimize and appears a big gap, and there was a limited entry order the entry price does not run at the opening level of the next bar.

Multicharts Failure:
- Using IB with friends and family account, only can see the accound by de "ID" like U1232123, U333444, U565656... You can't personalize the account name, for example: Paul, Enri,... Now imagine that you are working with 10 different accounts
- Using IB with friends and family account then the total money that exists in each account is not truly shown. For example, an account have 30.000€, then get lost 1.000€, logically they should be seen 29.000€, but Multicharts continues showing 30.000€

My personal excel now is only for optimization and backtest. It is simple but work just as I need.
I need SQN? I have SQN.
I do not need to see decimal numbers in the average profit.

Then I see what I want, the way I want it and without mistakes.

wolfcuring 
ChangChun+China

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

caprica View Post
Hello. I just uploaded this to the Ninja Strategies section. It is really a unique method to optimize your strategies on.

This is Van Tharp's System Quality Number (SQN) optimizer type for NinjaTrader. Place the SQN.cs file in your Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\custom\Type directory and then exit and reload Ninja.

Here is information from Ragingbull on SQN:

The code itself was written by Pete S all credit to him.

If you want more information on the SQN (System Quality Number) or Van Tharp you can look here:
Definitive Guide to Position Sizing

To use this you need to use Strategy Analyzer and change your "Optimize on..." selection to "my system quality number". This is where you normally choose max net profit, or max profit factor, etc.

Download the file here:

Hi everybody, just following up this thread.

In Tharpe's book, he talked about the drawback of the SQN, that it can be distorted by a large number of trades. So, his remedy is to truck number above 100 to 100.

So,
If (Number of Trades >=100)

SQN =10 * Average Profit/StdDev(AllTrades)

While in this case, the favorable number of trades is only between 30 and 100. This range is quite small! And when I used SQN to evaluate the system quality, it seems to have a bias toward small trade numbers between 30-100.

How do you guys think of that? Is there a way to remedy this?

asymptote 
Mississauga

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: GGI/ Kinetick
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

Interesting Point about SQN = Sharp ratio.
https://fxrenew.com/forex-blog/how-to-measure-your-trading-system-quality/

Shivaya 
Belfast N.Ireland and Brisbane Australia

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 84
Thanks Received: 489

https://www.vantharp.com/trading/april-2021-system-quality-number-report-the-sqn-report-by-van-k-tharp-phd/

Latest from Van Tharp

Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

Wow yes! Don't have time now but going to finish reading that soon.

Vans my hero!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

wolfcuring View Post
Hi everybody, just following up this thread.

In Tharpe's book, he talked about the drawback of the SQN, that it can be distorted by a large number of trades. So, his remedy is to truck number above 100 to 100.

So,
If (Number of Trades >=100)

SQN =10 * Average Profit/StdDev(AllTrades)

While in this case, the favorable number of trades is only between 30 and 100. This range is quite small! And when I used SQN to evaluate the system quality, it seems to have a bias toward small trade numbers between 30-100.

How do you guys think of that? Is there a way to remedy this?

I believe that IS the reason he designed it that way.

It is designed to be bounded.

It is like an oscillator in that sense that the numbers are RELATIVE.

Thats also what makes it so powerful as you can compare systems with a fairly tight correlation. Even in completely different systems.

But at the same time you can understand your own system and see where it lies on the SQN scale (if your have your numbers).

You can also compare your system to it's self at different time periods. Or two of your systems against each other over the same period of time. It is quite powerful.

So the point is yes you can have a thousand trades in there. It just becomes less sensitive as the trade number increases.

One way to fix that might be to examine "chunks" of trades by time. Say a rolling once a day or week or month depending on how often you trade.

From there you'll have a daily or weekly SQN that you can compare to last week or the week before. You can also add all weeks together and divided by the amount of weeks to give you the total SQN as ANOTHER way of parsing the information and to make comparisons.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Wikmar 
Madrid - Spain

Platform: Own (more or less)
Trading: S&P500, FDAX, €/$, CL, etc.
Thanks Given: 1,647
Thanks Received: 121

The family Sharpe ratio and its extended variants (SQN, Sortino ratio, etc), and also K-Ratio, they were shot down.

https://ssrn.com/abstract=3243130

Home people force
https://wikmar.wordpress.com/
Thanked by:

SodyTexas 
Austin TX

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python, & R
Broker: RJO
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 1,085

caprica View Post
Hello. I just uploaded this to the Ninja Strategies section. It is really a unique method to optimize your strategies on.

This is Van Tharp's System Quality Number (SQN) optimizer type for NinjaTrader. Place the SQN.cs file in your Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\custom\Type directory and then exit and reload Ninja.

Here is information from Ragingbull on SQN:

The code itself was written by Pete S all credit to him.

If you want more information on the SQN (System Quality Number) or Van Tharp you can look here:
Definitive Guide to Position Sizing

To use this you need to use Strategy Analyzer and change your "Optimize on..." selection to "my system quality number". This is where you normally choose max net profit, or max profit factor, etc.

Download the file here:

You are aware that this is NOT Van Tharp SQN number. The code does not even calculate R (risk per trade).

You can learn more about SQN here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icml8H98r0

Sody

"The great Traders have always been humbled by the market early on in their careers creating a deep respect for the market. Until one has this respect indelibly engraved in their makeup, the concept of money management and discipline will never be treated seriously."

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Wikmar View Post
The family Sharpe ratio and its extended variants (SQN, Sortino ratio, etc), and also K-Ratio, they were shot down.

https://ssrn.com/abstract=3243130

Wikmar. Thank you so much that was a great paper. Fantastic!

This is of course the problem us discretionary traders have as well.

It's a hidden weakness as we don't look at it like we should. Maybe thats the SQN coming through? Lol.

I really like your idea for figuring out MaxDDs impact and incorporating it in with DDArea for the total percentage of drawdown...

"The weight p is obtained by a rule of three: DDArea/N + MaxDD% is to 100, as MaxDD% is to p%. And p = p% / 100."

This really struck me. I love it. Im going to have to go see how you calculate the DDarea next. I find that very interesting.

Your forumla for PQM seems to help solve the issue you intended from the outset.

This is just such a beautiful explanation and a TRUER representation as the Risk Adjusted Returns are accounted for.

I really can't get over the elegance of this paper!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Joseph

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 12, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts