NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

From paper money to real money?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Calming with 13 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two Babool with 6 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 4 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 oldporkchops with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Palais Brongniart with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Babool with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 7,699 views
    2. thumb_up 63 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 36 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

From paper money to real money?

Calming
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 111
Thanks Received: 72

How long did it take you to switch from trading paper money to trading real money? Some say that one should trade paper for at least three months. Most brokers (systems) limit demo to two weeks. There is a possibility to continue but how long will they allow one to keep doing so?

One also hears that it takes 9 years to become a professional trader and that every pro lost an initial deposit at least once, so it makes sense to trade with an amount that one is okay to lose. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and philosophies are all welcome!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Your going to get 1000 different answers and most will be correct but you need to figure out what works for you.

When I first started trading ( FX) I jumped straight in with a decent size account and rode the emotional roller coaster for a few years. If you're going to sim trade make your account the same exact size your intend to use,trading a $100,000 account when you will fund yours with 1k will set you up for nothing but issues. Trade sim exactly like you would real money get attached to that sim number, trade the same lot size, trade the same exact way nothing can change.

I think sim is very useful and can teach you a lot I'm currently back on sim until I complete a few things then will be going back.There's nothing wrong with trading sim the markets aren't going any where anytime soon so don't rush it. Some people here have spent years upon years sacrificing for trading so 9 years might not be enough or you could be an all-star and do it in 2 it all depends on the person.

And you can fund an account with $500 or $1000 to get unlimited sim though ninja I believe. The exact number is on the site.

-P

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Calming
Houston, TX

Thanks, MiniP! In many ways, sim account is a playground to try and test different strategies and do regain confidence after a sell-off.

Also thanks on the heads up on funding Ninja with a minimum. It makes sense to froze a bit of money to keep playing the sim.

Thanked by:

Palais Brongniart 
Paris France + Dresden Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Proprietary
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 200

Calming View Post
How long did it take you to switch from trading paper money to trading real money? Some say that one should trade paper for at least three months. Most brokers (systems) limit demo to two weeks. There is a possibility to continue but how long will they allow one to keep doing so?

One also hears that it takes 9 years to become a professional trader and that every pro lost an initial deposit at least once, so it makes sense to trade with an amount that one is okay to lose. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and philosophies are all welcome!

Don't know if it takes 9 years, but yes, some years.

I lost my initial deposit ages ago. I am profitable since then. So I guess, nearly everyone loses his account at least once. Heard that often from my peers, too.

Yes, only trade an account you can afford to lose. BECAUSE YOU WILL PROB LOSE IT. Trade the least capital at risk possible per trade.

Don't expect to be a millionaire short term. Stories about ppl who took 10k to 100k in a month are made up (99%). If some of these stories were real, the next month they were broke. Because of the high risk they took in order to achieve a 1000% gain, at some moment in time their luck was gone. Trading is doing it with small sums over and over again. On and and on and on you trade. Don't shoot at the big home run. You lose, you win, winning points exceed losing points. Then one day compound growth locks in and you're made as a trader.

Start trading real as soon as possible. The learning curve steepens because you feel the pain. (Unless you're an automated trader, then you have to paper trade until your algo works. Then go online with real money)

Keep a diary. Keep the traded charts, study why you lost or won. Exchange your charts with the like-minded. Find a peer group via Internet.

Don't fear to admit you've been wrong. Discuss it.

LEARN THE FUCKING MONEY MANAGEMENT FIRST. THE TRADING EDGE COMES LAST.

Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,058

Calming View Post

Philosophy:
You are going to fit right in here
Everyone trys to outsmart the market at first. The real lesson will start when your patience has been eroded to the point where you question everything you think you know. If you are comfortable losing X and you lose it...what have you learnt about yourself? (I contend nothing of value)

This gig will catch you no matter how crafty you think you are being It is humbling.

Start a journal here.
All the very best.

Skidboot 
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 299

Calming View Post

Paper money is only to learn to use a trading software. Dont waste valuable time playing with useless paper money. Trade real money if you want to become a trader. If you are afraid of losing you are not there yet. Only way to get out of that fear of losing is by losing. Do not even get into this business unless you have enough money to lose.

Calming
Houston, TX

Palais Brongniart View Post
Keep a diary. Keep the traded charts, study why you lost or won. Exchange your charts with the like-minded. Find a peer group via Internet.

Don't fear to admit you've been wrong. Discuss it.

LEARN THE FUCKING MONEY MANAGEMENT FIRST. THE TRADING EDGE COMES LAST.

Thanks for the ideas! Already subscribed to FIRE and practicing money and risk management. Can you recommend how to keep a diary and, most importantly, where to find a peer group?

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Calming View Post
Thanks for the ideas! Already subscribed to FIRE and practicing money and risk management. Can you recommend how to keep a diary and, most importantly, where to find a peer group?

read this, there's thousands of traders on FIO send someone a PM or follow there journal most people are willing to help you after you prove you will put in the work and you're not looking for a handout.

-P

Thanked by:
 bofh 
Chicago, IL

Platform: SierraChart
Trading: /ES /CL
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 20

I will say that ultimately paper trading/sim trading is great for two things:

1. Learn your platform.
2. Master your strategy/method.

The two things above paper trading will help you out with, however, as many others have said you must trade your paper trading account as if you were trading a real account. Therefore if you start out with 1k you must manage your risk as if it were a 1k account (Regardless if your paper-trading account size is 100k or 500k for that matter). Otherwise paper-trading will not be of much help to you.

After a period of paper trading, I would say a couple of months and you prove to be profitable, only then I would go and start trading with real money. But remember and this has been mentioned thousands of times on here, you must treat your paper-trading account as if it were a real account, stick to your strategy and your money management plan(s), in other words trade your plan otherwise you will be setting yourself up for failure down the line when you go live.

-bofh

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 25, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts