NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Renko Bars Worth Using?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TravelingSalesmen with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fugitive69 with 6 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ellinas with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cory with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iantg with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lemons with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ellinas with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cory with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,147 views
    2. thumb_up 27 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 49 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Renko Bars Worth Using?

TravelingSalesmen
Tucson arizona

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 4

ellinas View Post
Hi,
I use SiProRenkoBars in my strategies (together with my indicators), all of them coded by me. I backtest only via Market replay. Other backtesting methods fail. The only problem with Market replay is that it takes long time to make a backtest. I usually spend 2-3 days to backtest (via Market replay) one(1) month back !!. However, the accuracy is 85-90% comparing with real-money trading. I attach a backtest file which which has been verified (with real-money trading) by 91%. The same range of accuracy I saw in the last 18 months back. I use NinjaTrader (NT7). Conclusion (IMO) : Use Market replay backtest method if you use any type of Renko Bars. Thanks .Attachment 264163

i just hope you have more data to back that strategy up because on first sight it looks way to good to be true. not that i care but i just wanted to let you know. im sure youve done your homework and everything and know all about it but still just wanted to point out that 39k of the 40k profit was all on the short side and that it was only a 1 month period with a total of 200 trades. have you done any live trading with it or have any more MR data?

if so great for you mate! and best of luck.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
ellinas
Cyprus, Nico

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 9

TravelingSalesmen View Post
i just hope you have more data to back that strategy up because on first sight it looks way to good to be true. not that i care but i just wanted to let you know. im sure youve done your homework and everything and know all about it but still just wanted to point out that 39k of the 40k profit was all on the short side and that it was only a 1 month period with a total of 200 trades. have you done any live trading with it or have any more MR data?

if so great for you mate! and best of luck.

Hi,
thanks for your replay.
Live trading with it ? Yes. Do I have more MR data on my strategy? Yes (1,5 year back). This strategy made me 140k/year appprox so far. I have also coded other (more advanced) strategies but these are being tested at the moment (I dont want to present them publicly). Have a nice day !

Thanked by:

KillerJukeBox 
Dublin

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, Tastytrade
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage, IBKR, Tastytrade,
Trading: MNQ,MES. Stocks, Stock options
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 95

Hi Ellinas, I don't believe there is any advantage to market replay in comparison with setting resolution to high in the strategy analyzer.

The only difference between the two as far as I know is that level 2 order flow is not considered , so unless your strategy looks at L2, there shouldn't be any negative impact. This leads me to believe you have something configured wrong, you should check NT8 help section on the website .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
ellinas
Cyprus, Nico

KillerJukeBox View Post
Hi Ellinas, I don't believe there is any advantage to market replay in comparison with setting resolution to high in the strategy analyzer.

The only difference between the two as far as I know is that level 2 order flow is not considered , so unless your strategy looks at L2, there shouldn't be any negative impact. This leads me to believe you have something configured wrong, you should check NT8 help section on the website .

Hi KillerJukeBox,

thanks for your mesage.
1) I think what your "believe" is wrong. We are talking about Renko bars. Strategy analyzer (either in high resolution or not) fail because it gives very fake results. On the contrary MR does not need any degree of "resolution" simply because it repeats the real Market as it was in reality.
2) I dont use NT8, only NT7.
3) The issue here is not my strategy (and it wont). I presented some results of my strategy only in order to give a proof that MR - as a backtest method- is (in IMO) the most reliable backtest method when somebody (like me) uses in his strategy "Renko - type" bars. Besides, as I said, I have verified these MR results with my strategy's real-time trading and they are very close. Please read again my first post.
Thanks.

tolyadzn
Berlin

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 20

There is a solution for a proper backtesting with ninjatrader. So you can get realistic solutions.

Use 1 Tick data for everything.
The primarily data series must be ignored in the script. With return;

So in the analyzer window you Need to select 1 Tick Data Series.

As second data series you also have to add 1 Tick data series.
And all next data series you can use for your strategy logic. But ordering and everything else must be based on 1 tick data series.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

ellinas
Cyprus, Nico

Hello tolyadzn,
thanks for your message.
The method you describe is well known, but it is not suitable for every strategy (using Renko-type bars). For example, there are many strategies which require ONLY ONE particular bar length (e.g.15 ticks) in order to be more profitable (e.g. when they calculate the max possible market noise elimination according to their logic), while they are not (or less) profitable if they apply to another bar series (e.g. 1 tick, etc). In all these cases this (and other similar) "indirect" backtest methods fail and, IMO, are less accurate than the only direct backtest method, the MR backtest method, which does not require any logic modification, is simple, accurate but it is very time consuming. Thanks -

KillerJukeBox 
Dublin

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, Tastytrade
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage, IBKR, Tastytrade,
Trading: MNQ,MES. Stocks, Stock options
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 95

ellinas View Post
Hi KillerJukeBox,

thanks for your mesage.
1) I think what your "believe" is wrong. We are talking about Renko bars. Strategy analyzer (either in high resolution or not) fail because it gives very fake results. On the contrary MR does not need any degree of "resolution" simply because it repeats the real Market as it was in reality.
2) I dont use NT8, only NT7.
3) The issue here is not my strategy (and it wont). I presented some results of my strategy only in order to give a proof that MR - as a backtest method- is (in IMO) the most reliable backtest method when somebody (like me) uses in his strategy "Renko - type" bars. Besides, as I said, I have verified these MR results with my strategy's real-time trading and they are very close. Please read again my first post.
Thanks.

I expected you were using a backtestable variant such as UniRenko. I'm aware of the downfalls of vanilla renko. I'm not doubting MR works for backtesting, but its more time consuming

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ellinas
Cyprus, Nico

Hi again,
thanks for your message.
At the begining of my first post I wrote : "... I use SiProRenkoBars ...". That statement was very clear and I dont know why you had "expectation" that I was using UniRenko bars !...
On the other hand, I dont use the so called ... "backtestable" Renko-type bars. Because they loose much of the elimination of the market noise, which is their main desirable purpose of their creation and usage.
If you want to achieve your main (difficult) goals you have to sacrifice something.
Look at the various athletes participating in Olympic games; in order them to win the gold medal they sacrifice their whole lifetime.
To create a really wining trading strategy you must sacrifice plenty of your time if you want to see how really profitable is your strategy. You cannot have everything in this life !...
Thanks!

Thanked by:
tolyadzn
Berlin

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 20

You can calculate different size of bars and have only one bar size. The problem with that way, you can’t use such things like optimization of data series. You need to do it your own.

I have a strategy that also use Renko bars. I have used ninzarenko and programmed everything based on 1 tick. And i have Very realistic backtesting results, but i also use tick replay for my strategys.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 Fripi 
Brussels Belgium

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 25

ellinas View Post
Hi,
I use SiProRenkoBars in my strategies (together with my indicators), all of them coded by me...

Hi, this is a pretty old post but I'm interested if you're still using Renko bars, and if you still use your strategy you talked about here ?

Last Updated on June 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts