NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Contract Liquidity Rules? How low OI and Vol?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two bdwg with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mattz with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,160 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Contract Liquidity Rules? How low OI and Vol?

bdwg
Austin TX

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

I'm trying to decide on a rule of thumb for deciding if a contract isn't liquid enough to trade. I was thinking vol over 1k and open interest over 5k. What do you all think? How low can you go and still be able to get out of a contract? A lot of these mini contracts are intriguing, but I'm just not sure if the liquidity is there. Also, I'm not talking about short term trading, I'm thinking more like a few weeks to months. Thanks in advance!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,206

With regards to the mini contracts many of the low volumes do not equate to low liquidity. For example if you watch QG (NatGas) or QM (Crude) you will see that the market in the first two months is almost always 1 tick wide. Just because its not trading tick by tick with NG and CL doesn't mean the liquidity isn't there.

bdwg
Austin TX

SMCJB View Post
With regards to the mini contracts many of the low volumes do not equate to low liquidity.

I don't doubt it, something like YI (mini silver) looks very active, but I haven't had the guts to start trading it because the OI is under 1000.

bdwg
Austin TX

Well this thread has flat lined..... I really thought that it would get some conversation going. I assumed most people trading futures had their liquidity rules in mind. oh well....

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

bdwg View Post
Well this thread has flat lined..... I really thought that it would get some conversation going. I assumed most people trading futures had their liquidity rules in mind. oh well....

Most traders are concerned with liquidity and for the most part what I have seen is that people trade according to the liquidity they see in the market: indices, metals, energy, treasuries, etc.
They do not need to check the liquidity on that because it is reflected in their fills and execution.

The mini contracts are slightly less liquid but might still serve you well if you have a smaller account.
But, lack of liquidity may have its own issues. For example, I remember many years ago we had a situation where on the mini gold a stop was not triggered because of the price gap and the stop has been turned by the exchange to a limit because the price gap was too large(?).

Anyway, there is only so much you can discuss liquidity and sooner or later you will realize that the popular products are better, in my opinion, for execution if you are a short-term trader.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

bdwg View Post

I gave you what I believe to be a good answer regarding liquidity. You replied with a factual statement about OI unrelated to liquidity. I'm not sure what else to say.

And while you are right many people are concerned about liquidity, but most of them are trading full size contracts.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

mattz View Post
For example, I remember many years ago we had a situation where on the mini gold a stop was not triggered because of the price gap and the stop has been turned by the exchange to a limit because the price gap was too large(?).

That's an interesting point. Since the mini's don't trade tick for tick with full size the last trade could be an old print which when combined with a gap, means the next trade exceeds exchange max move criteria.

Thanked by:
bdwg
Austin TX

SMCJB View Post
You replied with a factual statement about OI unrelated to liquidity. I'm not sure what else to say.

Sorry, I appear to have ruffled your feathers. Do you really think open interest is unrelated to liquidity?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

I don't want to appear that you've ruffled feathers (you haven't) I just don't know what else you expect someone to say. I just checked QM (which is the CME/NYMEX Crude Oil eMini) and it's OI last night was 1418 with Volume 13909. As I said earlier the bid-ask in QM is nearly always 1 tic wide, so yes it's very possible for a contract with only 1428 OI to have excellent liquidity. I don't trade YI so can not speak to its liquidity.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 28, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts