NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Build Alpha Review

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one dryg with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 pjimmy with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Hemmo with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Dianoia with 4.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 pjimmy with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Hemmo with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,284 views
    2. thumb_up 48 thanks given
    3. group 27 followers
    1. forum 41 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Build Alpha Review

rwilgers 
Deland

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

Anyone have any experience with buildalpha.com?

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
21 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
19 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
19 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

pjimmy 
Wellington, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: tradestation
Broker: tradestation
Trading: all futures
Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 9

Yes I do, what would you like to know?
-I have been a member for approx 6 months. There is no trial period available, so deciding to fork out your hard earned cash is tough. I hardly ever buy anything trading related. Too many scams around.
-Is it legitimate? Yes absolutely.
-Does it work? I can't tell whether it will work for you as it depends what you feed it and how you use the software. It is a tool, nothing more. I will say that for me it has been a good investment.
I feed it tradestation data and for that it functions well.

Dave (the owner) is a good guy who will answer any questions you might have. He is also constantly working on improvements and listening to the feedback from the users. Many of the users are full time algo traders (although everyone keeps a low profile).

If you haven't read through the site and also the youtube videos- I suggest you do.

What I like most about Build Alpha is the tools are shamelessly trying to disprove any wishful thinking/ curve fitting.

The only thing constant in life is change
Thanked by:
 rwilgers 
Deland

Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

Well I am an algo trader convert. I have learned some Easy Language but am still a beginner.

The ability for the software to build EL code is intriguing.

I'm struggling with the concept of using a Genetic Algorithm to assist in building prototype trading strategies. I feel like its pretty hard core data mining and very prone to curve fitting. I recognize that all strategies must be diligently tested to see if they are overfitted, but the GA concept seems so prone to the number one issue that plagues algo traders (overfitting). On the other hand it also seems to be a much more efficient way to test mulitple combinations of entries and exits. Maybe I am wrong and some more experienced guys can shed some light on this for me.

It seems the software has got some good testing built into it (walkforward, montecarlo, etc) but most good systems like Tradestation have the basics also. So it seems like your basically paying for a data mining software...

Like you I don't like buying any trading stuff because I don't trust anyone.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

pjimmy 
Wellington, New Zealand

Platform: tradestation
Broker: tradestation
Trading: all futures
Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 9

I'm no easylanguage pro but I don't believe that's a requirement anyway. I certainly wouldnt look at any software as a crutch for programming though, I use the software as a starting point and add to it as I see fit. There will always be some hard work required imho.

I have created a number of strategies by hand throughout the years on everything from metatrader 4 through to ninja and sierracharts. As I didn't have much success it seemed pointless to continue doing something which wasn't working.
So my thoughts were similar to yours about data mining and using GA. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself but what I have found is its all about your method.
Either process, whether its through a GA or a hand coded strategy can be curve fitted if you do it wrong. Falling in love with a strategy and tweaking it constantly and refining the equity curve... its a slippery slope

If you haven't already read it I highly recommend Kevin Davies book. It's very practical and discusses many of these issues with real life examples. After reading it decide what fits for you. Certainly don't rush into any big purchases.

The only thing constant in life is change
Thanked by:
 Hemmo 
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MC, TS, SQX, Build Alpha
Broker: IB, TS, OANDA
Trading: CFDs, Futures
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 38

@pjimmy
Could you please provide the title of the book? Thanks.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,381
Thanks Received: 10,205

Hemmo View Post
@pjimmy
Could you please provide the title of the book? Thanks.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Winning-Algorithmic-Trading-Systems/dp/1118778987/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519941434&sr=8-1&keywords=kevin+davey

Thanked by:

Mabi 
sweden

Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

I do not think Build Alpha is really datamining were you have the computor to find a pattern of OHLC that can be exploited. It has been fed 1000 ndīs entries and setups that is fixed and then are tested in diffrent combinations on the data you provide until it finds some combination of those entries and exits that would have worked in the past .

Actually i am for the concept and could see doing Gentetic evo and create a pool of millions of fixed entries and exits that were posetive on a a range of instruments and then use a GPU find the best combinations for the one at hand.

lone 
boston, MA

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: emini
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 65

I purchased BuildAlpha as I was intrigued by the no coding required part since I'm not a programmer. While the software does a good job building and testing strategies from popular indicators very quickly. You really have to know python to get the customization that can bring it to the next level yourself. But the creator Dave is very helpful in every aspect.

All in all due to the price tag associated I would recommend it as an entry way. I was able to extract some good ideas off it and made a few profitable strategies. The other software I was interested in was the PAlab but that cost like 6x BA, maybe in the future I will try that one.

TwoHands 
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 97
Thanks Received: 150

lone View Post
I purchased BuildAlpha as I was intrigued by the no coding required part since I'm not a programmer. While the software does a good job building and testing strategies from popular indicators very quickly. You really have to know python to get the customization that can bring it to the next level yourself. But the creator Dave is very helpful in every aspect.

All in all due to the price tag associated I would recommend it as an entry way. I was able to extract some good ideas off it and made a few profitable strategies. The other software I was interested in was the PAlab but that cost like 6x BA, maybe in the future I will try that one.

I'm skeptical about software that doesn't list the price but makes you contact the company for it. Are you prohibited from sharing it?

Last Updated on January 24, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts