NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

can using vps reduce the slippage in orders on news events?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 5 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two xplorer with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 leo11taxalian with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sienna with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 6,420 views
    2. thumb_up 12 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 16 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

can using vps reduce the slippage in orders on news events?

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,502
Thanks Received: 15,411

sam028 View Post
While some brokers can be faster than others their processing delay is negligible compared to the network latency (not sure for some FX rogue brokers BTW).
If you have a VPS in UK with a broker hosting his market gateways in Australia you'll receive the tick data with a 300 ms delay and your orders will be received with the same 300 ms delay.

Sam, one thing I've always wondered... what's the role that brokers play with DMA markets?

My case... I have a CQG native platform... so my orders are routed through CQG infrastructure.... at what point does my broker 'get involved'? Are there simple diagrams that show the flow of the orders?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

xplorer View Post
Sam, one thing I've always wondered... what's the role that brokers play with DMA markets?

My case... I have a CQG native platform... so my orders are routed through CQG infrastructure.... at what point does my broker 'get involved'? Are there simple diagrams that show the flow of the orders?

It's not very detailed but you can check this doc: https://help.cqg.com/fcm/default.htm .

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 contrax 
Guadalajara + Jalisco/Mexico

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES MINI
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 7

sam028 View Post
While some brokers can be faster than others their processing delay is negligible compared to the network latency (not sure for some FX rogue brokers BTW).
If you have a VPS in UK with a broker hosting his market gateways in Australia you'll receive the tick data with a 300 ms delay and your orders will be received with the same 300 ms delay.

Is the reason that i say i used to be News Trader and had different VPS location depending the Broker Server Location of my MT4 Account...

And then u can have a very very fast 5ms connection between ur VPS and the Broker Server.. and in the News Event Time, you can send an order and the broker can delay ur order plus ur order can be slippage very easy.

I use to trade the news event with EAs, and sometimes with about 20 brokers different at the same time.

But in Long Term that doesnt work.

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,502
Thanks Received: 15,411

sam028 View Post
It's not very detailed but you can check this doc: https://help.cqg.com/fcm/default.htm .

Great, thanks Sam.

sienna 
Melbourne, Australia

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: Many
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 124

I'd be grateful for any feedback on a my situation.

Am developing a discretionary trading approach on 6E scalping approx 6 - 10 trades a day 6 - 12 ticks each contract.
Testing in SIM, not gone Live on this yet, so no idea on slippage + fills (trading 4 -6 contracts at a time. all in and all out).

Very happy to invest in a VPS, but would a Chicago based VPS be worth it, given my situation ?
Based in regional Australia
Internet speed 20 - 25 Mbps (no speed increase possible in my area)
Entering off Market orders mostly and Stop Limit (sometimes).
Using NT8 and Rithmic
Am really green when it comes to data feeds, so if Rithmic is a factor which may play into the above, please advise

Thanks !!!

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

sienna View Post
I'd be grateful for any feedback on a my situation.

Am developing a discretionary trading approach on 6E scalping approx 6 - 10 trades a day 6 - 12 ticks each contract.
Testing in SIM, not gone Live on this yet, so no idea on slippage + fills (trading 4 -6 contracts at a time. all in and all out).

Very happy to invest in a VPS, but would a Chicago based VPS be worth it, given my situation ?
Based in regional Australia
Internet speed 20 - 25 Mbps (no speed increase possible in my area)
Entering off Market orders mostly and Stop Limit (sometimes).
Using NT8 and Rithmic
Am really green when it comes to data feeds, so if Rithmic is a factor which may play into the above, please advise

Thanks !!!

No, not in your case.
You'll have around 250 ms latency to Chicago so your incoming price data will arrive on your machine at least 250 ms later, and your order will take at least 250 ms to be insert in the order book.
With a VPS you mouse click for "buy market" order will also takes this kind of time.

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 sienna 
Melbourne, Australia

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: Many
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 124

Many thanks Sam, just the information I needed !

Last Updated on March 2, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts