NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Needing some guidance

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one pihadave with 16 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two fminus with 5 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grantx with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Grantx with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two fminus with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 pihadave with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,617 views
    2. thumb_up 26 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 38 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Needing some guidance

pihadave
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 19

Hi there,

What I'm about to ask is incredibly cheeky of me but I'm really struggling with becoming consistently profitable..

What's the general method everyone is trading with?

I'm currently using 750 and 2000 tick charts on the ES and 200 and 900 tick on the YM. My method is to identify support and resistance areas on the larger tick charts and then look for a strong advance, followed by a pullback on the smaller tick chart.

The idea is based off the Elloitt wave theory but it's not working. Even the most clearest pullbacks result in a loss as it continues in the opposite direction.

Can some of you profitable / full-time futures traders just explain to me how you're trading? I.e, what you're looking for / the style of strategy? For example, are you trading based off S/R? EMA cross-overs? Breakouts? Trendlines?

I just need some guidance so I can focus on developing a strategy as clearly my strategy for FX and stocks just isn't working with futures..!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

rintin2x 
salt lake utah

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 634
Thanks Received: 542

Got myself an Elliot wave book about 1.5 years ago (forgot who the author is). I thought what the heck is this and that was the most confusing thing I ever read in my life, threw it in the garbage the next morning.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

pihadave View Post
Hi there,

What I'm about to ask is incredibly cheeky of me but I'm really struggling with becoming consistently profitable..

I'm currently using 750 and 2000 tick charts on the ES and 200 and 900 tick on the YM. My method is to identify support and resistance areas on the larger tick charts and then look for a strong advance, followed by a pullback on the smaller tick chart.

The idea is based off the Elloitt wave theory but it's not working. Even the most clearest pullbacks result in a loss as it continues in the opposite direction.

Can some of you profitable / full-time futures traders just explain to me how you're trading? I.e, what you're looking for / the style of strategy? For example, are you trading based off S/R? EMA cross-overs? Breakouts? Trendlines?

I just need some guidance so I can focus on developing a strategy as clearly my strategy for FX and stocks just isn't working with futures..!

Hi there,

Can I ask... how long have you worked with your method?

pihadave
Auckland, New Zealand

xplorer View Post
Hi there,

Can I ask... how long have you worked with your method?

I've been trading FX and stocks like that for approx 5 or years now I guess. My method is my own alteration of the elloitt wave theory.

I'm definitely a swing trader but wanting to move into futures for something more short-term – swing trading is a little boring..

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

Successful trading is a lot simpler than that.

Find momentum, find a held bid, go long. Opposite for short.

Take profit at several times your risk.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:
pihadave
Auckland, New Zealand

Anagami View Post

This is interesting.. thanks a lot - I'm going to explore this more.

Dave

fminus 
Washington DC

Platform: TT
Broker: Dorman
Trading: US Treasuries
Thanks Given: 156
Thanks Received: 299

pihadave View Post
Hi there,

Are you trying to trade or are you trying to predict? This is a serious question and there is no intent to troll or bait into an argument, but to actually help.

For instance, if you have a level you want to trade, such as an upside pullback, are you just stepping out and buying as the market pulls back to your level (regardless of the selling pressure) or do you wait for some kind of confirmation before you go long? In this question, it may almost seem as if I am asking the same thing but there is a very big difference. One type is stepping in front of trains, the other is going with momentum.

S/R, breakouts, trendlines, pivots, magic levels, whatever... they all work. BUT your method has to be consistent and systematic or else there is too much room to sabotage yourself. You also cannot just blindly place your orders in front of the market hoping and praying your magic line will stop the market. You want to see the market stopping at your level or at the very least slowing down BEFORE you enter the continuation play for the pullback. This is what "trade what you see, not what you think" really means. I hope this helps.

In trading, shortcuts lead to the longest path possible.
 futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

Anagami View Post

Well, everything is simple if you're an anagami...

From his first post it seems he is trying to do just that and not succeeding. The devil is in the details (and often the associated psychology).

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

futuretrader View Post
Well, everything is simple if you're an anagami...

Some things are.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

Last Updated on February 21, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts