NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Saxobank as a broker

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two FrazMann with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Viking132 with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 3 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tr8er with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 suko with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,833 views
    2. thumb_up 29 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 27 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Saxobank as a broker

FrazMann 
Aberdeen/Scotland

Experience: None
Platform: None atm
Trading: Crude cl
Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 10

I was leaning towards IB but the platform outage in Jan is rather worrying, plus the fact that there is no one on chat when I've tried to speak to a rep.

I did really like the saxo platform but your right about their fees being very expensive when compared to IB. This is my 1st time trading futures so I won't be trading many contracts. Might just have to bite the bullet for the moment.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

FrazMann View Post
I was leaning towards IB but the platform outage in Jan is rather worrying, plus the fact that there is no one on chat when I've tried to speak to a rep.

I did really like the saxo platform but your right about their fees being very expensive when compared to IB. This is my 1st time trading futures so I won't be trading many contracts. Might just have to bite the bullet for the moment.

I work with IB for a while, and platform outages where no severe problem in the long run.

Still I prefer to work with more than one broker to get live prices in case one platform is not able to show them, and to place trades in case one plateform has an outage. (Plus reducing the third party risk in case a broker has severe problems.)

Best regards, Myrrdin

FrazMann 
Aberdeen/Scotland

myrrdin View Post
I work with IB for a while, and platform outages where no severe problem in the long run.

Still I prefer to work with more than one broker to get live prices in case one platform is not able to show them, and to place trades in case one plateform has an outage. (Plus reducing the third party risk in case a broker has severe problems.)

Best regards, Myrrdin

Do you know if stops are held on the exchange or with IB itself? I don't mind the odd drop if I know my potential losses are limited to a certain extent.

I can see the pros of having accounts with multiple brokers, just more of a pita. Then again I'm sure I would be greatful for the peace of mind if i needed to use it to offset a loosing position.

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

FrazMann View Post
Do you know if stops are held on the exchange or with IB itself? I don't mind the odd drop if I know my potential losses are limited to a certain extent.

I can see the pros of having accounts with multiple brokers, just more of a pita. Then again I'm sure I would be greatful for the peace of mind if i needed to use it to offset a loosing position.

I do not know where stops are held, but I never had a problem in this regard.

But remember: If you place a stop there is not guarantee that you get filled at this price. A price of a commodity might gap far downwards, and your order is filled at a very different price than you thought it would. This can happen over weekends or after important reports.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 FrazMann 
Aberdeen/Scotland

myrrdin View Post
I do not know where stops are held, but I never had a problem in this regard.

But remember: If you place a stop there is not guarantee that you get filled at this price. A price of a commodity might gap far downwards, and your order is filled at a very different price than you thought it would. This can happen over weekends or after important reports.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Yeah, that's why I wrote " to some extent" as I've heard the horror stories about limit down/up days. Hopefully I never experience one unless I'm trading in that direction .

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

FrazMann View Post
Yeah, that's why I wrote " to some extent" as I've heard the horror stories about limit down/up days. Hopefully I never experience one unless I'm trading in that direction .

i experienced a lot of limit up and down days. It is important to keep lot size at a reasonable level, and to avoid holding positions in periods where limit moves can be expected.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 FrazMann 
Aberdeen/Scotland

Below is the pricing of a round trip on saxobank vs IB (I believe i havent made a mistake??)

https://imgur.com/a/DZxOm (Not sure why the image isnt working, here is the link)

And saxobank says that any individual trade has to be a minimum of $10, therefore if i only traded one contract the roundtrip cost would be $20 + 3.04.

Why is there such a large difference between the 2?

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

FrazMann View Post
Below is the pricing of a round trip on saxobank vs IB (I believe i havent made a mistake??)

https://imgur.com/a/DZxOm (Not sure why the image isnt working, here is the link)

And saxobank says that any individual trade has to be a minimum of $10, therefore if i only traded one contract the roundtrip cost would be $20 + 3.04.

Why is there such a large difference between the 2?

There are several reasons for price differences (which can be even larger if you compare to other brokers):

Brokers offer different services regarding their trading tools, placing orders for you, being reachable via phone or via email, providing a more or less competent helpdesk, giving you advice regarding your trades, providing reports on fundamentals, offering Client Statements in your base currency, speaking your language etc. The more service, the higher the price.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 Viking132 
Lancaster / England

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MetaTrader
Trading: Gold
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 3

Based in the UK I started trading with Saxo Pro a few months ago, as an introduction to micro futures trading the ESH2.
I am a bit disappointed as mid-way through March, even though I had paid my subscription for the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Saxo removed the instrument !

Every time I have made an enquiry about the removal, on their chat box etc, I am just being ignored. Really strange.

Is this normal practise for a platform or do they remove micro charts as & when necessary?

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Viking132 View Post
Based in the UK I started trading with Saxo Pro a few months ago, as an introduction to micro futures trading the ESH2.
I am a bit disappointed as mid-way through March, even though I had paid my subscription for the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Saxo removed the instrument !

Every time I have made an enquiry about the removal, on their chat box etc, I am just being ignored. Really strange.

Is this normal practise for a platform or do they remove micro charts as & when necessary?

I work with Interactive Brokers, and never had such thing happen in many years.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 6, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts