NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bressert Double Smoother Stochastics

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one edward40 with 11 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 11 posts (19 thanks)
    3. looks_3 planetmoto with 8 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 renvik with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 11,497 views
    2. thumb_up 22 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 35 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

Bressert Double Smoother Stochastics

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

bld5 View Post
Hi Fat Tails,

I have a question and a request:
1- The Bressert DSS indicator you built looks great, do you have it for Ninja 8 as well?
2- I know nothing about coding on Ninja so in another post I requested help in building a simple indicator to show line on chart calculating "(highest high of last x periods - lowest low of last x periods) / 2". Being advanced in Ninja coding, can you help me with this?

If you address me as @Fat Tails, I will get notified of this message. I did not get notified but just noticed by chance that there was a new post.

I will build a Bressert DSS for NinjaTrader 8 and make it available.

If you look at post #17 of this thread, you will notice that I have already built a Bressert DSS for NinjaTrader 8 from other indicators.

BrDSS(14,2) = EMA(Raw Stochastics(EMA(Raw Stochastics(14),4)14)4)

The problem here is that the Stochastics that ships with NinjaTrader 8 cannot use other indicators as input series. Therefore I have coded a modified version of the Stochastics, which does accept indicators as input series. From the chart I have posted you will see that a BrDSS(14,2) can be built in the following way:

-> add a first EMA(4) to your chart, select a new panel
-> select the Stochastic K plot of the amaStochastics(7,14,1) as input series for the EMA(4)
-> select a second EMA(4) as input series for the first amaStochastics(7,14,1)
-> select the Stochastic K plot of the amaStochastics(7,14,1) as input series for the second EMA(4)

So basically you apply an EMA to a Stochastics, which is applied to an EMA, which is applied to a Stochastics.

If you need help with coding the halfwidth of a Donchian Channel, please send me a private message or refer me to your original post.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
bld5
Istanbul/Turkey

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

Fat Tails View Post
If you address me as @Fat Tails, I will get notified of this message. I did not get notified but just noticed by chance that there was a new post.

I will build a Bressert DSS for NinjaTrader 8 and make it available.

If you look at post #17 of this thread, you will notice that I have already built a Bressert DSS for NinjaTrader 8 from other indicators.

BrDSS(14,2) = EMA(Raw Stochastics(EMA(Raw Stochastics(14),4)14)4)

The problem here is that the Stochastics that ships with NinjaTrader 8 cannot use other indicators as input series. Therefore I have coded a modified version of the Stochastics, which does accept indicators as input series. From the chart I have posted you will see that a BrDSS(14,2) can be built in the following way:

-> add a first EMA(4) to your chart, select a new panel
-> select the Stochastic K plot of the amaStochastics(7,14,1) as input series for the EMA(4)
-> select a second EMA(4) as input series for the first amaStochastics(7,14,1)
-> select the Stochastic K plot of the amaStochastics(7,14,1) as input series for the second EMA(4)

So basically you apply an EMA to a Stochastics, which is applied to an EMA, which is applied to a Stochastics.

If you need help with coding the halfwidth of a Donchian Channel, please send me a private message or refer me to your original post.

I look forward to the Bressert you plan to build for Ninja8, and in the meantime try the recipe you described with EMAs and Stochs

As for the simple indicator I need, there was really nothing more in my original post, just the formula I gave. I was not familiar with Donchian Channel formula so I didn't know it was halfwidth of it, after you mentioned I checked and you are right, it will make do (I will disregard the channel lines).

Thanks.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

bld5 View Post
I look forward to the Bressert you plan to build for Ninja8, and in the meantime try the recipe you described with EMAs and Stochs

For the recipe you will need the amaStochastics, as the in-built NinjaTrader Stochastics cannot be used on input series other than price.

I had coded the amaStochastics for two reasons:

(1) The NinjaTrader MAX and MIN indicators which are used by the Stochastics did not work correctly until the release NT 8.0.9.0 when the bug was fixed. For that purpose I had used indicators amaMAX and amaMIN. With the bugfix those indicators have become obsolete, and I need to take them out again.

(2) Allow for applying Stochastics to indicators as well as to price.

I will review the amaStochastics and eliminate amaMAX and amaMIN, and then post it in the download section. This is needed for the recipe. In case that you cannot wait, send me a private message and you will get the old version that uses amaMAX and amaMIN.

renvik 
Boston MA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninja/CQG
Trading: ES, ZB, CL
Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 119

edward40 View Post
Do I really have to spend $100 to download this file by becoming an Elite member?

YES, YES and YES!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 planetmoto 
freasno, ca usa

Platform: ninja trader
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 51
Thanks Received: 85

renvik View Post
YES, YES and YES!

@renvik look at it this way, if you found the crappiest programmer on the web to do it for you it would probably cost you around $100 to $200 and that's all you get. Here, you get BigMikes for life and access to a lot of experience and other Indicators at no additional charge. So stop being a cheap bastard and pay up join the family and welcome to the club

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

renvik 
Boston MA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninja/CQG
Trading: ES, ZB, CL
Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 119

planetmoto View Post
@renvik look at it this way, if you found the crappiest programmer on the web to do it for you it would probably cost you around $100 to $200 and that's all you get. Here, you get BigMikes for life and access to a lot of experience and other Indicators at no additional charge. So stop being a cheap bastard and pay up join the family and welcome to the club

@planetmoto I will ignore your rudeness; looks like you lack the capability to follow a thread. My response was to @edward40 urging him to become a member.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 planetmoto 
freasno, ca usa

renvik View Post
@planetmoto I will ignore your rudeness; looks like you lack the capability to follow a thread. My response was to @edward40 urging him to become a member.

@renvik my apologies I will delete and repost to @edward40 , I didn't catch my error at first glance, I thought my sarcasm was pretty obvious though

planetmoto 
freasno, ca usa

@edward40 look at it this way, if you found the crappiest programmer on the web to do it for you it would probably cost you around $100 to $200 and that's all you get. Here, you get BigMikes for life and access to a lot of experience and other Indicators at no additional charge. So stop being a cheap bastard and pay up join the family and welcome to the club

edward40
Chicago

Thanks Received: 73

planetmoto View Post
@edward40 look at it this way, if you found the crappiest programmer on the web to do it for you it would probably cost you around $100 to $200 and that's all you get. Here, you get BigMikes for life and access to a lot of experience and other Indicators at no additional charge. So stop being a cheap bastard and pay up join the family and welcome to the club

I am getting hit pretty hard here, so let me explain. First off, I had prior knowledge of the value of this site and many things Fat Tails has done here, or who he was. Also, what I have noticed now, vs. say 10 years ago, is everyone related to trading is now asking for money. Trading rooms, Premium youtube channels DVD's for $800, $100 to join here, $495 for this, $147 a month for that. It get's to be a bit much when I am on the sidelines right now, viewing, planning and testing theories in order to get a plan together.

I am not 100% sure I will settle on NinjaTrader in the end since it seems to lack basic functionality like POC, Volume Profile etc. It's a big world out here of charting and brokerage software and I am testing several platforms.

edward40
Chicago

Thanks Received: 73

Fat Tails View Post
I had coded the Bressert DSS for NinjaTrader 7 back in 2013.

It comes with the smoothing parameter needed to adjust the exponential moving average.

Just select 14 for the Stochastics period and 4 for the smoothing period and you will obtain the BrDSS(14,2) as shown by Medved Trader.

Thank you, this is ultimately what I will use if I keep moving to wards NinjaTrader as my main platform.

Last Updated on August 24, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts