NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading journal ES system trading.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kanepa with 150 posts (316 thanks)
    2. looks_two tihfa with 12 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TraderEX with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MarkB with 5 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Sazon with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kanepa with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TraderEX with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tihfa with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 54,156 views
    2. thumb_up 400 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 215 posts
    2. attach_file 149 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading journal ES system trading.

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 348
Thanks Received: 409

s5

First trade out of the gate is a losing trade. Stop was triggered, it was 1 tick away from the bottom then went up to profit target without my position.

Whenever these kind of trade occurs, I could not help notice my negative feelings. "market took me out by 1 tick and resumed rallying, reaching profit target without my position" "They are out to get me" But the truth is NO ONE cares about my positions. Never did and never will. I created excuses to deal with a losing trade by creating fake reasoning to make myself to feel better. It is unconscious behavior to protect myself but it is not a healthy one. Shifting blame to other direction can make me much more emotional because that hostility is not aimed at me.

So, I know the truth. All results are born from myself and I have to simply own all of it. Reading past journals and going over past trades helps me to stay in focus and calm. I am dealing with 54% probability and little better than 1.1 win/loss ratio system. Many more ups and downs are sure to come. So buckle up and lets enjoy the ride.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

May 2020 result. about 2k down month.

m20

m20a

Will stop looking for better version of my current strategy. I run a small restaurant which opened up in February of this year and it has been very wild. A lot of hours and now running it with bare minimum help makes me work hours a week which I do not even want to count. But whenever I have a time, early morning and late night, I sneak into my office and play with parameters or studies to see if I can make my system better. Need to stop that and catch more sleep..

Will continue to trade. See you in June or major update....whichever comes sooner.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

Hi. Want to ask a question.

What percentage of gain on R.O.R do you guys find acceptable per year? Do you use sp500 for benchmark? I understand it could be vary depending on instruments and style of trading but was curious what you guys think. Thank you for your input!

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

j320

From May, account in down -2715.50

This is Jun's trading.
j120

equity graph.
j20

As I initiated system to trade while it was near all time high in back trading, draw backs were expected and anticipated. Not much to report other than small changes has been made and will continue to trade. First goal of reaching 20k is still my first target......or go broke. Only those two possible outcome and market is in control. Only thing I can do is wait..Happy 4th.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

jul2

start: 13550 current:16358 2808

jul1

First time equity came above the water. Let's see what is going to happen in rest of July.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

unnamed

start(May 2020): 13550 current:17,557 +4007

720ec

trades720

It was a bit uncomfortable to watch system performing so poorly at beginning. And who knows if it is not going to be more rough down the road. But I am glad the system has built a little wiggle room for that. First target of 20k, $2500 to go.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

A week to go for July and we are very close to hitting first target of 20k. It could happen soon or even if it does not, good to see account is up and to handle more draw downs if they were to come first. A profitable trade today netting 2,434.48

start(May 2020): 13550 current:19,123 +5,573

Equity Curve is breaking above all time high since new trading began in May.

727ec

As a small business owner, I have to work 6.5 days per week. Monday off is for me to go out and getting supplies for restaurant and doing paper work. So I get one evening off from work. With this busy schedules, there is not really anytime for do things for my pleasure or relax. But I do not hate it. As matter of fact, I sometimes enjoy it because it is a necessary sacrifice I have to make to reach certain financial goals, better quality life later and of course, paying bills.

To be able to work like that, my physical condition is important as well. While I can not work out everyday, I do once a week, full body work out for about 1 hour on Monday morning to keep myself in shape.

Anyway, I while I was getting supplies today, I decided to get some present for myself to celebrate when account reaches certain level. I realize that reaching goals can be soon, much later or never, wanted to prepare my award in case it does. Not only they are award for reaching dollar amount, it is also for following plan and staying disciplined.

Untitled design (30)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled design (30).png
Views:	169
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	303490  

Syntax 
London, UK

Platform: MultiCharts, MT4, TWS
Broker: IB, Darwinex
Trading: Options, stocks and indices
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 178

Hi kanepa

What a journal! And what a journey! I'm truly impressed by your grit. You've thrown together multiple algorithms and traded them on stacks bigger than some people's yearly income. You've seen massive upswings and huge drawdowns. And all through this you've kept reporting your numbers.

Have you thought about how you could add more certainty about you performance? Or things that could do to check if your live results match what you would have expected from backtesting?

A simple example would be as follows.

Say you made 100 trades in backtesting. You take the profit and loss of all those trades and calculate two things: average profit and standard deviation.

Now say you have 40 trades in live. You do the same thing, calculate average profit of all trades and the standard deviation.

Now, if the avg and std deviation of backtesting and live trading are similar, you can use this as an indicator that your strategies are not over optimized / curve fit.

There are more ways to validate live performance, but this is a quick one that can be done in a few minutes.

Good luck!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

algogen View Post
Hi kanepa

What a journal! And what a journey! I'm truly impressed by your grit. You've thrown together multiple algorithms and traded them on stacks bigger than some people's yearly income. You've seen massive upswings and huge drawdowns. And all through this you've kept reporting your numbers.

Have you thought about how you could add more certainty about you performance? Or things that could do to check if your live results match what you would have expected from backtesting?

A simple example would be as follows.

Say you made 100 trades in backtesting. You take the profit and loss of all those trades and calculate two things: average profit and standard deviation.

Now say you have 40 trades in live. You do the same thing, calculate average profit of all trades and the standard deviation.

Now, if the avg and std deviation of backtesting and live trading are similar, you can use this as an indicator that your strategies are not over optimized / curve fit.

There are more ways to validate live performance, but this is a quick one that can be done in a few minutes.

Good luck!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Hi, algogen.

Thank you for kind words.

At this time I only have small sample of real time trading to compare std deviations from back test and real trading. But once it reaches close to 50~100 of real time trades, I will begin to compare them. It may take a while since my strategy trades about 100 times a year. Appreciate you letting me know!

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

start(May 2020): 13550 current:18,289.26 +4739.26
unnamed

july120

First target of 20k has not reached yet.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts