NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Privacy in the digital age

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 89 posts (263 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 50 posts (146 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 41 posts (123 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 19 posts (58 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 3.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 46,600 views
    2. thumb_up 725 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 270 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Privacy in the digital age

GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,562

Some FB users stated after having downloaded a copy of their FB account data that they found
whole SMS content as well as phone calls recorded since years...

As there are some examples - they will be posted here.
GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

I believe the SMS and Phone logs are being collected by the messenger app and not the main FB app.

Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

The mere fact that Facebook allowed so much nominally private data to leak to third parties would be embarrassing enough. The larger concern for Facebook is that the company signed a deal with the Federal Trade Commission in 2011 that was specifically focused on enforcing user privacy settings. Two former FTC officials told The Washington Post this week that allowing user data to be disclosed to third parties may have violated the terms of that 2011 agreement, which could potentially expose Facebook to large fines.

https://arstechnica.com:443/tech-policy/2018/03/facebooks-cambridge-analytica-scandal-explained/

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

xplorer View Post
Thanks - I heard about metadata collection, which is one thing - but recording actual content (i.e. actual calls and text messages) would put FB in the NSA/PRISM category - I don't believe FB would even have the capability to do that, let alone the legal ramifications.

"I don't believe FB would even have the capability to do that"

I think you underestimate the power of billions of dollars. these apps and programmers.

Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

years ago individuals who were stalkers downloaded an app that turns on someone's smartphone's mic and camera and they could hear what was being said and see what the camera shows. This is people with zero tech skills and some were arrested by police for stalking.

Not only could the content of calls be recorded but also voice of what is happening in the room and the location and the time.

Of am only speaking of technical capability not what some company might or might not have done.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Not entirely new, more like some additional drip-drip-drip of the slowly leaking Facebook news. Still, we should know what has gone on:

Quoting 
Facebook said Wednesday that most of its 2 billion users likely have had their public profiles scraped by outsiders without the users' explicit permission, dramatically raising the stakes in a privacy controversy that has dogged the company for weeks, spurred investigations in the United States and Europe, and sent the company's stock price tumbling.

The acknowledgment was part of a broader disclosure by Facebook on Wednesday about the ways in which various levels of user data have been taken by everyone from malicious actors to ordinary app developers.

"We’re an idealistic and optimistic company, and for the first decade, we were really focused on all the good that connecting people brings," Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said on a call with reporters Wednesday afternoon. "But it’s clear now that we didn’t focus enough on preventing abuse and thinking about how people could use these tools for harm as well."

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/04/04/facebook-said-the-personal-data-of-most-its-2-billion-users-has-been-collected-and-shared-with-outsiders/?utm_term=.b8321a28aa9f

The collecting and sharing of information as a social good is almost an article of faith among many in the technology industry. And it did sound good. Zuckerberg is being honest when he calls Facebook an "idealistic company." He does believe in it. He also has made some money with it, which is not bad in itself.

But it really is not that they simply "didn't focus enough" on safeguarding the information they collected -- they didn't really understand who it belongs to, and that having the users click on "I Accept" to a long End User License Agreement, which they know that no one is going to read, is just not enough to give the company the right to do with it whatever they choose.

Bob.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Anybody can scrape data with or without the website approval. If it's available on the internet without authentication it can be scrapped easily. Just like people scrape twitter I would assume that every facebook account in existence has been scrapped by at least somebody.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

bobwest View Post
Zuckerberg is being honest when he calls Facebook an "idealistic company." He does believe in it. He also has made some money with it, which is not bad in itself.

What makes you think Zuckerberg is being honest?

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

Millenial influencers like Zuck use the word "idealistic" interchangeably with "opportunistic." It's just part of the gig.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

Rrrracer View Post
Millenial influencers like Zuck use the word "idealistic" interchangeably with "opportunistic." It's just part of the gig.

Well, given 'idealistic' and 'opportunistic' are practically antonyms, this would make for a very good politics piece, à la Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 22, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts