NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Privacy in the digital age

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 89 posts (263 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 50 posts (146 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 41 posts (123 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 19 posts (58 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 3.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 46,985 views
    2. thumb_up 725 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 270 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Privacy in the digital age

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

@sixtyseven, I agree wholeheartedly...

My post may have been a little coarse, but I wouldn't call leaving the phone behind irrational in my case; I go days without looking at the thing lol

My point was, the erosion of our basic right to privacy in the FUD-driven, false-premised world of "safety and security" is wearing quite thin to those of us who give a damn. Sadly these policies are shaped by the lowest common denominator instead of (un)common sense.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 851
Thanks Received: 337

Rrrracer View Post
@sixtyseven, I go days without looking at the thing lol

My point was, the erosion of our basic right to privacy in the FUD-driven, false-premised world of "safety and security" is wearing quite thin to those of us who give a damn. Sadly these policies are shaped by the lowest common denominator instead of (un)common sense.

Awesome. You get major points in my book. I still use a dumbphone.

I still don't see a basic erosion of privacy in this case. Everyone knows that they have to satisfy border control they don't pose some sort of threat, and the only way they can do that is via disclosing private information. Information from the mouth of the person in question may not always be truthful. Getting phone data would seem to be quite far down the track in the 'investigation' - as 537 out of 14m would seem to suggest. I also reckon more than 500 people a year would have their butt hole checked, which I'd feel was more of an invasion of privacy than looking at my phone. But then again, I don't have much on my phone.

With all that aside, if you get around to planning that trip to NZ, I'd be glad to offer some local perspective of things to see & do.

SMCJB View Post
Little known fact but in the US I believe it's actually immigration that mark your customs declaration that tells customs to search you.

It's not such a little known fact. They mark it up right in front of you. This gives the guilty some time to panic, sweat, and act more guilty as they generally struggle to contain the bodies physiological responses.

In NZ, and I'd suspect most countries the routine check of bags etc that the immigration guy ordered will get more personal the more you are a douche to the customs guy. A dog guy can also order a search. And the immigration guy can also take you to an interview room to question you, which will no doubt involve a search of more personal items if they fail to be satisfied. So, yeah, pays to be nice to all the border security people. And not be bad.

Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

sixtyseven View Post
... as 537 out of 14m would seem to suggest. I also reckon more than 500 people a year would have their butt hole checked, which I'd feel was more of an invasion of privacy than looking at my phone. But then again, I don't have much on my phone.

With all that aside, if you get around to planning that trip to NZ, I'd be glad to offer some local perspective of things to see & do.

LOL I'm not a fan of either Thanks for the offer, someday I hope to take you up on it provided I can get over my disdain for the TSA and scrap together enough dough to get over there!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,490
Thanks Received: 15,383

sixtyseven View Post
I still don't see a basic erosion of privacy in this case. Everyone knows that they have to satisfy border control they don't pose some sort of threat, and the only way they can do that is via disclosing private information. Information from the mouth of the person in question may not always be truthful. Getting phone data would seem to be quite far down the track in the 'investigation' - as 537 out of 14m would seem to suggest. I also reckon more than 500 people a year would have their butt hole checked, which I'd feel was more of an invasion of privacy than looking at my phone. But then again, I don't have much on my phone.

This is the typical argument that a government puts forward when being accused of overreach. In other words, 'you've nothing to worry about if you've done nothing wrong'.

There is a significant difference in asking you "what is the purpose of your visit here" and having unrestricted access to your digital, private, life.

And I don't buy the 537/14m ratio. This is not about how many or how few are checked. This is about whether it's right or wrong that a government is allowed to do invasive searches without probable cause. This is about civil liberties.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
pennystock
San Francisco, CA, USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

would be great if there's a way to allow only information we want shared to be shared while companies trying to obtain stuff we want private will lead to legal ramifications.

sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

xplorer View Post
This is the typical argument that a government puts forward when being accused of overreach. In other words, 'you've nothing to worry about if you've done nothing wrong'.

There is a significant difference in asking you "what is the purpose of your visit here" and having unrestricted access to your digital, private, life.

And I don't buy the 537/14m ratio. This is not about how many or how few are checked. This is about whether it's right or wrong that a government is allowed to do invasive searches without probable cause. This is about civil liberties.

In the article you originally linked to they mentioned they only request phone access with probable cause (and the low number suggests that). It is not unrestricted access. They are not doing random searches here. If you don't buy that either, then I'd say it's a piss-poor method of data collection. It makes no logical sense for them to do random searches and undermine the tourist trade which is critical to the countries well-being.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

sixtyseven View Post
In the article you originally linked to they mentioned they only request phone access with probable cause (and the low number suggests that). It is not unrestricted access. They are not doing random searches here. If you don't buy that either, then I'd say it's a piss-poor method of data collection. It makes no logical sense for them to do random searches and undermine the tourist trade which is critical to the countries well-being.

Unless we're talking about a different article, this is taken from the one I linked (emphasis mine).

Quoting 
According to CCL, New Zealand Customs had originally demanded they be able to perform device searches without restrictions, but lawmakers required that they have "reasonable cause." However, the group added the restrictions fell short of those placed on the police and intelligence services, and did not require reasonable cause.

Thanked by:
 sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

xplorer View Post
Unless we're talking about a different article, this is taken from the one I linked (emphasis mine).

Isn't it interesting we can read the same article and take away different things from it. Our friend confirmation bias working away I guess.

The law states they must have reasonable cause vs a group advocating civil liberties saying they don't. I read that as mis-information from CCL.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

sixtyseven View Post
Isn't it interesting we can read the same article and take away different things from it. Our friend confirmation bias working away I guess.

The law states they must have reasonable cause vs a group advocating civil liberties saying they don't. I read that as mis-information from CCL.

It's a fair argument. The article states that the whole quote

Quoting 
According to CCL, New Zealand Customs had originally demanded they be able to perform device searches without restrictions, but lawmakers required that they have "reasonable cause." However, the group added the restrictions fell short of those placed on the police and intelligence services, and did not require reasonable cause.

is 'According to CCL', so it certainly could be argued that it is not impartial. Maybe the sticking point is understanding at which stage of the legislative process 'lawmakers required that they have "reasonable cause." ', i.e. was this an original requirement of the lawmakers that ended up not being translated into law, or did it become part of the law but CCL are saying it didn't?

Thanked by:
 sixtyseven 
Golden Bay, New Zealand

xplorer View Post
It's a fair argument. The article states that the whole quote

is 'According to CCL', so it certainly could be argued that it is not impartial. Maybe the sticking point is understanding at which stage of the legislative process 'lawmakers required that they have "reasonable cause." ', i.e. was this an original requirement of the lawmakers that ended up not being translated into law, or did it become part of the law but CCL are saying it didn't?

It did make it into law.

I'd have no doubt the application didn't have the requirement for reasonable cause, as from their point of view it's implied. IMO border security aren't there to get private personal information from innocent random people. They are there to stop bad buys. They want whatever makes their job easier.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/travellers-refusing-hand-over-phone-password-airport-now-face-5000-customs-fine

The CCL guy in the above article has been quoted as saying the below: -
"The new requirement for reasonable suspicion did not rein in the law at all, Mr Beagle said. "They don't have to tell you what the cause of that suspicion is, there's no way to challenge it.""

Which in the CNN article became "did not require reasonable cause".

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/10/customs-to-fine-travellers-who-dont-hand-over-device-passwords.html

Deleting incriminating evidence and then reloading from the cloud won't work unless you are very good at deception. From the above article below:-

"Before getting to the point of a digital search, the traveller would likely have aroused suspicion because of dog indications, previous travel or unsatisfactory responses to questions from border security agents.
In a preliminary search Customs officials would search files stored on the device, and would not investigate anything the person may have stored in the Cloud. However if they believe the person to be guilty they will commence a "forensic search" which would go more in-depth, including Cloud storage."

From my point of view this is CCL creating FUD to keep their names in the paper. The reality is it's so far away from scanning in data from their phone as they go through the metal detectors/bag scanning. This is the initial impression created when reading the headlines. Which is of course what the editors want.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 22, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts