NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bitcoin Futures by the CME

Discussion in Cryptocurrency

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 21 posts (39 thanks)
    2. looks_two Devil Man with 11 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tpredictor with 8 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 7 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Devil Man with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tpredictor with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,597 views
    2. thumb_up 118 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 97 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Bitcoin Futures by the CME

meow
Bangkok+Thailand

Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 14

Do you understand their minimum tick size? It sounds Japanese to me:

Minimum Price Intervals:
10.00 points USD/XBT (equal to $10.00 per contract). The individual legs and net prices of spreads in XBT futures may be in increments of 0.01 points USD/XBT (equal to $0.01 per contract).

If price moving 1 USD how much you gonna make/lose?

tpredictor View Post
The CBOE contract seems more suitable for retail traders. It will be based on 1 BTC contract:

Contract Specifications

Looks like they are basing on Gemini only. This is interesting. I have seen other products that use multiple indexes are more difficult to tape read because you have situations where Asians are very bearish and US traders bullish or vice versa.. This might make it trade and behave better. But, also, possibly not as reflective of the world BTC price.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

tpredictor 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: es

It sounds like, for a market entry and exit, you need a move a $20 to break even (lose $10 on entry and $10 on exit). This is comparable to the existing leveraged exchanges. If you capture the spread on exit, you would need a $10 move to break even. You can divide an average day's range or any move by $10 to figure up what it looks like in ticks.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
meow
Bangkok+Thailand

On CME 1 tick=5 usd on bitcoin price and you make/lose 25$. So with CBOE if 1 tick is 10 usd on bitcoin price, you should make/lose 20-30 usd, otherwise its not leveraged. But its not clear now. I will write them an email today.

tpredictor View Post
It sounds like, for a market entry and exit, you need a move a $20 to break even (lose $10 on entry and $10 on exit). This is comparable to the existing leveraged exchanges. If you capture the spread on exit, you would need a $10 move to break even. You can divide an average day's range or any move by $10 to figure up what it looks like in ticks.

tpredictor 
North Carolina

Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: es

1 contract is equal to 1 Bitcoin. Leverage is determined by the combination of margin requirements and contract size. See my prior explanation to mattz. If I allow you to trade Bitcoin with $1 margin then that's ~12,000x leverage even though the granularity of the contract is 1:1. If you want more leverage, you'll just buy more contracts.

Large contracts are primarily a benefit to institutional traders because it reduces their trading costs which are based on per contract basis.

Basically, if you are trading less then 5 BTC contracts (or slightly more and want to split your orders up) then you will prefer the CBOE contract but if you want to trade 5 or more then the CME contract will likely be more cost effective. All things equal.

meow View Post
On CME 1 tick=5 usd on bitcoin price and you make/lose 25$. So with CBOE if 1 tick is 10 usd on bitcoin price, you should make/lose 20-30 usd, otherwise its not leveraged. But its not clear now. I will write them an email today.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
meow
Bangkok+Thailand

I got reply to my email to CBOE:

There is no multiplier for the contract so, each contract is dollar for dollar. As of right now, the OCC has the initial margin set for 44% with maintenance set at 40%.

tpredictor View Post
1 contract is equal to 1 Bitcoin. Leverage is determined by the combination of margin requirements and contract size. See my prior explanation to mattz. If I allow you to trade Bitcoin with $1 margin then that's ~12,000x leverage even though the granularity of the contract is 1:1. If you want more leverage, you'll just buy more contracts.

Large contracts are primarily a benefit to institutional traders because it reduces their trading costs which are based on per contract basis.

Basically, if you are trading less then 5 BTC contracts (or slightly more and want to split your orders up) then you will prefer the CBOE contract but if you want to trade 5 or more then the CME contract will likely be more cost effective. All things equal.

Thanked by:
 bpr0 
Union City + CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts.NET,Motivewav
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 62
Thanks Received: 13

Woha CME sets margin at 47% ...

currently overnight margin $38485 per 1 contract
Bitcoin Margins - [AUTOLINK]CME[/AUTOLINK] Group

if they are not gonna reduce margin then they should reduce contract size to 1 bitcoin at least like CBOE..

any idea what would be indraday margin for this ??

Thanked by:
 ShatteredX 
Houston, TX

Platform: Python
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 96

CME Bitcoin contract is dead on arrival, IMO. $38,000 margin requirement is nuts.

Thanked by:

vk79 
Michigan

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 265
Thanks Received: 85

Neo1 View Post
Bitcoin is so fragmented, and presumably inefficient compared to a mature futures product. So hypothetically speaking, what is going to happen if someone like JPM start selling BTC futures with crazy large size. How will this effective the underlying price at each BTC exchange?

Those games are possible only in our rigged stock and futures markets. Not going to affect BTC.

Jemo 
FLorida / USA

Platform: TS, MC, NT
Broker: TS, TOS, IBKR, TastyWorks
Trading: Index, Commodities, Currencies
Thanks Given: 31

vk79 View Post
Those games are possible only in our rigged stock and futures markets. Not going to affect BTC.

May I ask what makes you think that is not applicable to BTC? Is there a limit as to how many BTC Futures contract that a central bank can short ?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 artemiso 
New York, NY

Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

vk79 View Post

Actually it's more probable in BTC because of the tight control over BTC supply and how illiquid it is. The last I checked, it took only $5M to move the price 4%. At today's prices, maybe about $8M for 2%. By the same virtue, 1 person alone crashed the price of ETH to $0.10 in a single $30M trade. Someone Sold $30 Million Worth of [AUTOLINK]Eth[/AUTOLINK], Sending Price to $0.10 Temporarily

There's 1000 BTC wallets that have >$28M and can single-handedly crash the entire BTC market.

How many institutions do you think can move ES by 2% in a fat finger trade?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 1, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts