NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

New to programming - where to start?

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Trambo with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two xplorer with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mrphr with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rleplae with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iantg with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 choke35 with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mrphr with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,677 views
    2. thumb_up 12 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 11 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

New to programming - where to start?

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

I had the same question as you in the past, personally I would go open source and choose either R or Python specially because you can use them in trading and finance; I would choose R over python but if you want to learn the basics of computer science than definitely python.

This is very helpful: "Data Science Wars: R vs Python"
https://www.datacamp.com/community/tutorials/r-or-python-for-data-analysis

And O'Reilly has some good books...

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Trambo 
Glasgow, Lanarkshire Scotland

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Jigsaw Daytradr
Broker: Working my way around them all
Trading: ZN, ES
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 46

iantg View Post
Hi Trambo,

I am a programmer by profession and a futures trader on the algorithm side. So I will throw in my two cents. Just to get familiar with basic blocking and tackling aspects of programming logic, MS Excel is a great place to start as has been previously mentioned. You can really get a handle on the basics with if statements, and other basic logic formulas that do something based on criteria. Once you get familiar with these concepts you will find that most programming languages are very similar to this. My natural progression in programming was as follows:

Excel > VBA > SQL > VB. Net > C# > Java

I think visual basic is a very easy to understand first language because the syntax is almost like talking, so following what is going on is very easy. When you move over to C# which is Microsoft's other primary PL, it has almost all the same rules as VB, but it drops a lot of the verbiage and just uses characters and symbols to short cut things.

Moving from VB to C# is pretty natural, and moving from C# to Java or Java script is pretty natural also because they use similar syntax, rules and the likes.

Now with respect to how any PL can help you get setup in trading, here is my two cents.
Go with C#

NinjaTrader uses C# and MultiCharts .Net uses C#. Some of the other platforms do as well, but C# will get you in the door with 2 of the top platforms. Easy Language which is used by Tradestation and some others, is not a real PL per say, so much a proprietary PL for a given trading platform. I would say that going with C# you would pick up a PL that would be applicable to trading and beyond, whereas if you invest in Easy Language your benefit would be to trading only.

One final reason that I tip my hat to C# over others with respect to trading, is you have access to the vast fortune of Microsoft class libraries that you can extend into your trading system. If you want to pull in SQL, Lists, Arrays, Data Tables, or other more advanced objects into your trading platform, C# has you covered. If you go with a different platform and PL, you are going to struggle to gain access to the same riches.

Good Luck

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for the reply. Very insightful. I'll certainly take that on board, it all seems a bit daunting at the moment, but thats half the fun!

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on December 17, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts