NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TradeStation or NinjaTrader?

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mrphr with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two cleon with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 planetmoto with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 4 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iantg with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mamax98 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 26,998 views
    2. thumb_up 15 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

TradeStation or NinjaTrader?

rahulgopi 
milpitas, ca, usa
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation, Ameritrade
Trading: ES, Gold, 10 Yr
Thanks Given: 1,389
Thanks Received: 4,206

cleon View Post
OK..so I still have TS 9.1 installed. Made sure to load the most recent updates, and fully updated on Windows 10.

Same error as when the problem first started back in November, https://cal_trader.tinytake.com:443/sf/MjMxOTE5OF83MTAyNjY2

I've sent TS a message directly asking if 9.1 will work with Windows 10 and will post their response when I receive it. Last month the answer was simply, 'no'.

9.5 does load with Windows 10..which is what I am using now, but the performance is terrible relative to 9.1 on pre-updated Windows 10.

My laptop with Windows 7 and 9.1 works flawlessly.

I am running TS 9.5 on windows 10 with absolutely no issues for past few months. As a matter of fact, I also upgraded from 9.1 to 9.5 and have not observed any performance issues with 9.5. As a matter of fact I did a profiling and few of my TICK based indicators loaded slightly faster on 9.5.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

cleon 
Denver, CO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TS and MD/IRT with IQFeed
Trading: ES, NQ, RUS, CL, US
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 18

rahulgopi View Post
I am running TS 9.5 on windows 10 with absolutely no issues for past few months. As a matter of fact, I also upgraded from 9.1 to 9.5 and have not observed any performance issues with 9.5. As a matter of fact I did a profiling and few of my TICK based indicators loaded slightly faster on 9.5.

There's hope! I'm actually glad to hear that. I've had several members of my trading group back off to 9.1 because of the resource overhead of 9.5. Others have simply stopped taking Windows updates and rolled back the security patch, but kept 9.5. So it's a mixed bag of resolutions.

For now I've just wiped Windows 10, and gone back to Windows 7 with TS 9.1. The freed up RAM on both ends doesn't hurt and I don't mind closing the privacy chasm Microsoft decided to open with 10 But not willing to lose another beautiful trading day like today because of an inoperable DOM!

Anyway, thanks for the input guys!

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

Now answering the question; “TradeStation or NinjaTrader”?

Honestly neither.

Thanked by:

Virtuose1 
Montreal, Qc, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 7
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: ETF
Thanks Given: 142
Thanks Received: 41

mrphr View Post
Now answering the question; “TradeStation or NinjaTrader”?

Honestly neither.

So which one would you recommend then?
After about 10 years with NT, I’m in the camp of thinking to switch from NT to something else...

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

Virtuose1 View Post
After about 10 years with NT, I’m in the camp of thinking to switch from NT to something else...

It all depends on your needs what works for some people may not works for you. But personally, if I were starting trading today, I would choose and learn Sierra Charts.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Virtuose1 View Post

Why looking to switch? The answer might help you figure out an alternative.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 supergonzo 
new york

Platform: tradestation
Trading: stocks

"I am running TS 9.5 on windows 10 with absolutely no issues for past few months. As a matter of fact, I also upgraded from 9.1 to 9.5 and have not observed any performance issues with 9.5"

Agreed, TS 9.5 is very stable. Otherwise, Not as many bar chart types as Ninjatrader, also many traders that used to be on Tradestation have moved on or are not trading anymore. The free indicators on the forum created by users used to be populated almost every hour with responses and updated code at one time. Not anymore, now its a ghost town or close to it. I have used Tradestation for 20 years! So I know the language, and its not as terrible as you might expect to learn. Overall its a good platform. Still lots of free code available.

Ninjatrader 8 I also have.... Less stable than NinjaTrader 7.....but lots of add-ons available if you like to spend money on indicators and a couple of great forums...Futures.io and Ninjatrader Eco system with many indicators to pick from free.
However Ninjatrader8 is not nearly as stable as Tradestation. And if you have a problem due to a crash or a windows issue and you have to restart the program. Even if you just saved the Workspaces, dont expect them to automatically come back up just the way you left them. I find myself, once I create something on a chart that I like I wind up saving it and the indicator panel via a screen shot...just in case it doesn't load exactly the same as before.

This almost NEVER happens with Tradestation. As all work usually comes back from a crash exactly as you left it, whether or not you saved it recently or not.
------------------------------------------------------
The charting windows I prefer on Ninjatrader,You get more space available and it just look better. But some of the stuff like importing indicators is annoying since you have to go to a menu driven main page that is open somewhere else then on the screen. Tradestation you right click and anything you most likely need to do, is right infront of you. If you want to import or export just click file tab above. The importing and exporting of indicators and strategies is also trouble-free with Tradestation.
------------------------------------------------------

I prefer the Look of Ninjatrader, But like the stability of Tradestation.

belekas 
London, UK

Platform: PRT
Broker: IG
Trading: XJO
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 22

So what would be the "easy" pick if one had to go with TS, NT, Sierra or MC? Been researching the topic as well recently

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Average Joe
Singapore

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 13

belekas View Post
So what would be the "easy" pick if one had to go with TS, NT, Sierra or MC? Been researching the topic as well recently

SC, if your brokers are not black listed by SC engineers.

Thanked by:
luminaryfi
Indianapolis, Indiana

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

I'm going to offer an alternative. Go with TradeStation and then connect TS with TradingView. I can't say anything but good things about TradingView. Ninja Trader is clunky and their salespeople are pushy. TradeStation is great as a broker, but the platform is so-so.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Last Updated on June 21, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts