NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

IB and sierra

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Grantx with 20 posts (18 thanks)
    2. looks_two Scalpguy with 15 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 JohnS with 7 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 6 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two JohnS with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Grantx with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Scalpguy with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 23,012 views
    2. thumb_up 52 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 67 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

IB and sierra

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

Average Joe View Post
https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=48856

So someone posted this to defend SC. The fact is this is the first time I came across this information and the engineer DID not even bothered to link me to this. They just ignored my last few communications. How is that for basic customer service? I would gladly switched broker if they explain clearly.

Those who are bent on using IB for futures trading please reconsider SC platform, you have been warned.

You are right they can do better job.

but when I decided to move away from NT to SC I 1st read this what brokers they support.

https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/InteractiveBrokers.php

And decided not to choose IB as my broker. Too many red flags there.

And blame SC that they don't help you with IB when its clearly written that you are on your own
if you choose IB with SC

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,513
Thanks Received: 26,292

Average Joe View Post

Those who are bent on using IB for futures trading please reconsider SC platform, you have been warned.

lemons View Post
You are right they can do better job.

but when I decided to move away from NT to SC I 1st read this what brokers they support.

https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/InteractiveBrokers.php

And decided not to choose IB as my broker. Too many red flags there.

I think there's a general understanding in the world that IB and SC do not mix. I'm not able to take any sides on the question, because I have never used IB, so I've only got the SC side of the story.

There's also a general understanding that SC is highly intemperate in their remarks on anything they don't approve of, and IB, for whatever their reasons, is definitely one. They also can fly off the handle just about any time for any reason. No telling why.

This is all too bad, because IB is well thought-of as a broker by a lot of their customers, and so is SC well thought-of as a platform.

But the choices are what they are, and the parties are not going to come together as far as anyone outside of them can tell. So a person has to decide which is more important to them and go one way or the other. Or, of course, decide they can live with the issues and stay with both, which I know many traders, knowing the score, have decided to do.

But neither side is likely to change, especially not SC, so that's the basis of an informed choice.

There are many brokers and many platforms. We have our preferences, but none is crucial to a trader's success.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
Average Joe
Singapore

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 13

bobwest View Post
I think there's a general understanding in the world that IB and SC do not mix. I'm not able to take any sides on the question, because I have never used IB, so I've only got the SC side of the story.

There's also a general understanding that SC is highly intemperate in their remarks on anything they don't approve of, and IB, for whatever their reasons, is definitely one. They also can fly off the handle just about any time for any reason. No telling why.

This is all too bad, because IB is well thought-of as a broker by a lot of their customers, and so is SC well thought-of as a platform.

But the choices are what they are, and the parties are not going to come together as far as anyone outside of them can tell. So a person has to decide which is more important to them and go one way or the other. Or, of course, decide they can live with the issues and stay with both, which I know many traders, knowing the score, have decided to do.

But neither side is likely to change, especially not SC, so that's the basis of an informed choice.

There are many brokers and many platforms. We have our preferences, but none is crucial to a trader's success.

Bob.

Sharpest tool in here Bob. Unlike certain fixed mindsets that tried to talk himself out of a flawed trade position, this is the last thing we want in trading - bias.

Average Joe
Singapore

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 13

Important note guys, if you insist on using IB, not only the futures contract are buggy, the SPY too.

I took a 5 x loss when using SC to enter a short resting order on SPY, both profit target and stop loss orders disappeared after the resting order triggered. Instead of booking profit I took a 5 times loss as it gap up on close.

What a fk up combination of IB and SC. I am giving up on IB and hopefully SC has no more loggerheaded brokers out there.

Thanked by:
 JohnS 
Bamberg, Germany
Market Wizard

Broker: IB, SierraCharts data
Trading: MES, FDXM
Thanks Given: 15,200
Thanks Received: 2,609

Iīve been using IB TWS and SC for the past 4 years without a problem until the last 2 weeks. I have SC Build 2125 and TWS 979.4z and use the Denali data service.

The problem is that the P&L and DPL no longer function and the Trade Stats screen no longer populate with trades. I had updated to the latest build and then discovered the problem and then rolled back to 2125 thinking this might solve it but no luck. Perhaps its on the TWS side? I used the IB Gateway 978 and had the same issue. Orders can be placed with SC and Iīve been monitoring them on the TWS to make sure there is no other disconnect between the programs.

I know of the "hate" relationship between SC and IB but as I mentioned everything worked well until the last few weeks. Perhaps there was an update that has caused this problem? I have not approached SCīs help desk because of this relationship and didnīt want to be told Iīm an idiot for using TWS.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

I would appreciate any help!

Regards,

John

Thanked by:
 JohnS 
Bamberg, Germany
Market Wizard

JohnS View Post
Iīve been using IB TWS and SC for the past 4 years without a problem until the last 2 weeks. I have SC Build 2125 and TWS 979.4z and use the Denali data service.

The problem is that the P&L and DPL no longer function and the Trade Stats screen no longer populate with trades. I had updated to the latest build and then discovered the problem and then rolled back to 2125 thinking this might solve it but no luck. Perhaps its on the TWS side? I used the IB Gateway 978 and had the same issue. Orders can be placed with SC and Iīve been monitoring them on the TWS to make sure there is no other disconnect between the programs.

I know of the "hate" relationship between SC and IB but as I mentioned everything worked well until the last few weeks. Perhaps there was an update that has caused this problem? I have not approached SCīs help desk because of this relationship and didnīt want to be told Iīm an idiot for using TWS.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

I would appreciate any help!

Regards,

John

ok, after some sifting through the documentation, https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/TradeActivityLog.php I may have solved the problem and will see how it works tomorrow!

Thanked by:
 JohnS 
Bamberg, Germany
Market Wizard

JohnS View Post
ok, after some sifting through the documentation, https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/TradeActivityLog.php I may have solved the problem and will see how it works tomorrow!

worked like a charm. problem fixed.

Futures Operator 
New York, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, thinkorswim
Broker: Amp-Rithmic/TT, IB
Trading: CL, GC, NQ
Thanks Given: 2,039
Thanks Received: 258

JohnS View Post
Regards,
John

What asset classes do you trade on SC through IB, and who's market data do you use? Do you recommend this setup contrary to all the warnings above?

What benefits do you see doing it through SC vs directly on TWS?

Last Updated on December 20, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts