NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Rotation / Swing Indicator Similar to FT71?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one amoeba with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    2. looks_two DebayanSen with 20 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 fxsystematic with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ziggy123 with 5 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one amoeba with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two pep17 with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 wilson619 with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ziggy123 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,503 views
    2. thumb_up 55 thanks given
    3. group 44 followers
    1. forum 93 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Rotation / Swing Indicator Similar to FT71?

ziggy123 
boston

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 99

Hello,

I remember watching FT71 webinar and seeing an indicator on his non Ninja platform in which there is a horizontal line and a distribution of historical rotations (swing size in ticks) - so one can statistically understand visually what are "normal" rotations and what are extremes /deviations.

I know the swingPro indicator shows the last swing size average rotations - but not statistical distributions around some baseline.

So was wondering if anyone coded something similar fr NT?

Cheers,
Steve

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Here is something I made from a few years ago for NT7, it may require some extra love.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: amoebaRotations.cs
 ziggy123 
boston

amoeba View Post
Here is something I made from a few years ago for NT7, it may require some extra love.

Much appreciated - thank you

Steve

ziggy123 
boston

amoeba View Post

Hi Amoeba,

I installed the indicator using it on range charts - it does indeed seem as if the numbers do not correspond to the tick swing distribution in CL - unless I'm missing something?

Steve

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

ziggy123 View Post
Hi Amoeba,

I installed the indicator using it on range charts - it does indeed seem as if the numbers do not correspond to the tick swing distribution in CL - unless I'm missing something?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm not at my pc at the moment so will have to check in a little while, what settings did you use with the indicator? And also what was the range chart bar size you used? I will test it out.

With the settings, RotationSize is in ticks (minimum movement before new swing) so maybe something like 5+ for CL? And the DistributionDays is the number of previous session days to include in the distribution calc for 1SD & 2nd SD. Probably 20+ is good, but can be 1000 if you want all past days.

ziggy123 
boston

amoeba View Post
Hi Steve,

I'm not at my pc at the moment so will have to check in a little while, what settings did you use with the indicator? And also what was the range chart bar size you used? I will test it out.

With the settings, RotationSize is in ticks (minimum movement before new swing) so maybe something like 5+ for CL? And the DistributionDays is the number of previous session days to include in the distribution calc for 1SD & 2nd SD. Probably 20+ is good, but can be 1000 if you want all past days.

Hi Amoeba,

I was actually looking at a Renko type chart and not range (My bad) - however - I switched to 1 Minuet chart - and the distribution does not make sense.

I'm assuming that I'm seeing the number of rotations (Swings) distributions and the distributions of the LENGTH of swings? It's the LENGTH distribution which Im interested in.

See the image - what does 3 mean - 30 Ticks?

Steve

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

ziggy123 View Post
Hi Amoeba,

I was actually looking at a Renko type chart and not range (My bad) - however - I switched to 1 Minuet chart - and the distribution does not make sense.

I'm assuming that I'm seeing the number of rotations (Swings) distributions and the distributions of the LENGTH of swings? It's the LENGTH distribution which Im interested in.

See the image - what does 3 mean - 30 Ticks?

Steve

The distribution is counting rotations at each size (length of rotation) before reversing a minimum amount as specified by the rotationsize value, at the moment it looks like this is 1 tick on your indicator, try making it 5.

ziggy123 
boston

amoeba View Post
The distribution is counting rotations at each size (length of rotation) before reversing a minimum amount as specified by the rotationsize value, at the moment it looks like this is 1 tick on your indicator, try making it 5.

ok - i think I see now that the "whole numbers" (ie:3 on the chart should be multiplied by x10 to represent the actual ticks)

So the BLUE lines are the standard deviation - and if I change the setting of rotation to 5 - it means fractal looking at two bars forward and backward to find a "swing" point and then in this specific scenario (attached image above) 30 cents (3) is still within the standard deviation - but there is no reference to actual FREQUENCY NUMBER (You have to count the vertical similar bars) - or I can use the SwinGPro indicator to see number of swing count average, length etc.

By the way - this is the FT71 indicator :

Thanks again for the indicator - I like it!

Thanked by:

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Sorry for the late response, there are a couple of differences from FT71's study;

I use same calculation as ZigZag indicator for rotations, both should be similar, but main difference is in FT71's 1min fractal study has a minimum number of bars between fractals, where mine will calculate at every bar. This can cause issues if you are trying to calculate rotations that are smaller than a single bar size (like a 5 tick rotation on CL via 1min bars would be every bar). Best way to overcome this is either use a high resolution tick based bar (like a renko) or a higher rotation value on minute bars.

Also in FT's study, up and down rotations are added to the same bin, I calculate them separately and apply 1st & 2nd SD lines to each separately.

I can see in Ft's study it is using 8 tick minimum rotations & calculating on a 20 session distribution, so to get a similar result try;

DistributionDays: 20
RotationSize: 8

Also make sure you are using a session template only for the rotations you want to calculate in the distribution and have a minimum of 20 days historical data loaded.

Should get something like this;

wilson619 
San Diego, CA

Experience: None
Platform: NT8
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 208
Thanks Received: 71

How do you use this information in your trading if I may ask?

Wilson

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 8, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts