NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Rotation / Swing Indicator Similar to FT71?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one amoeba with 30 posts (43 thanks)
    2. looks_two DebayanSen with 20 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 fxsystematic with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ziggy123 with 5 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one amoeba with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two pep17 with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 wilson619 with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ziggy123 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,503 views
    2. thumb_up 55 thanks given
    3. group 44 followers
    1. forum 93 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Rotation / Swing Indicator Similar to FT71?

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

runit View Post
Put it to 2 days, no luck

Did you try loading more days into the chart? > 5

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
pep17
GIRONA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

Hey, thanks a lot the indicator is working awsome... I just wanted to point some improvemente we could do.
As FT71 is using, we could also mark in the rotations indicator the number of points of each rotation. Also could be great to do it with the cumulated delta indicator but this another history...Hope someone could help.
Another improvement could be to chose between points or ticks on the rotation, as now it is only showing ticks
thanks
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/igCm0A/borrar.jpg[/img]
Here a better screenshot
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/mZ1ktV/borrar-2.jpg[/img]

Thanked by:
 Ratdog 
Lansing Michigan

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Nt8
Trading: Es
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 25

Reviving the "older" thread a bit.
This is indeed a great indicator.
@pep17 I'm curious what it is you're asking. I'm sorry but your pictures are kinda tiny and won't expand well.

Where are you asking the rotations indicator to be marked for the number of points for each rotation?
Where are you asking for the number of point in each rotation to be displayed?
What precisely are you asking for the Cumulative Delta indicator to do?
I apologise if I don't follow what you're saying I just want to make sure to get it right.
Cheers

pep17 View Post
Hey, thanks a lot the indicator is working awsome... I just wanted to point some improvemente we could do.
As FT71 is using, we could also mark in the rotations indicator the number of points of each rotation. Also could be great to do it with the cumulated delta indicator but this another history...Hope someone could help.
Another improvement could be to chose between points or ticks on the rotation, as now it is only showing ticks
thanks
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/igCm0A/borrar.jpg[/img]
Here a better screenshot
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/mZ1ktV/borrar-2.jpg[/img]

DebayanSen
Kolkata India

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

Hi ! I came across this concept from FT71 like everyone is talking about here. Bigups to amoeba for sharing the updated version . However , I am having doubts as to how should I calculate what to put on the the parameters . FT71 says he uses it for the last 20days(lets assume no major vix change)

So when I download the 1 min OHLC data on my excel , should I limit my study of fractals to a particular timeframe ?(as he talks about timeframe as well) . Say I trade 3 min timeframe and hence I put 6 mins ie 6 bars and see the maximum upmoves without cutting the current or previous low and similar for downmoves? Then calculate both positive moves and negative moves and feed it on the indicator?

Please suggest how I shall calculate the rotation for the market I trade.

Thanks

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

@DebayanSen

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after but I have another indicator that uses fractals to calculate the rotations then bins the rotation lengths to calculate 1st & 2nd SD's.

It has two inputs, number of bars included in the fractal pivot & minimum ticks between H's & L's.

I believe FT used 5bar fractals to calculate his rotations. (this could have changed)

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: FractalSwingNT8v1.zip
DebayanSen
Kolkata India

amoeba View Post
@DebayanSen

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after but I have another indicator that uses fractals to calculate the rotations then bins the rotation lengths to calculate 1st & 2nd SD's.

It has two inputs, number of bars included in the fractal pivot & minimum ticks between H's & L's.

I believe FT used 5bar fractals to calculate his rotations. (this could have changed)

Thank you for the quick response !
BTW , I like the statistics you provided for the last indicator and if you could please provide a perspective on how I can calculate the rotation on excel so that I can feed proper data into your indicator . I did try my best but different people do it differently . But your indicator(the last one , not this one) looks a lot like FT .

What I had done was..
Basically what I had naively done was fix a time period . I downloaded 1 min data(I have access to 1 minute open high low close for the last 40days) .

My logic was based on 6 minutes ..so I have six 1 minute OHLC . then I used a logic to see if current 1 minute bar's low is greater than last 1 minute bar's low and I continued it for 6 bars and saw on average ,in 6 minutes, how much continuously price is making higher highs and higher lows . The calculation stops if it cuts the last 1 min bar's low and I calculated the retracement. This was for upside moves. I did the same in reverse for downside move. But while using renko or range bar , its devoid of time WHICH MAKES MORE SENSE TO ME .

Should I do the same study without the time filter and see everyday for the last 40 days how much price moved continuously up vs down and feed it to your indicator ? Anything you suggest? Please reply on your own time . And thanks a lot again for the indicator . I am just confused as how to calculate it

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

DebayanSen View Post
Thank you for the quick response !
BTW , I like the statistics you provided for the last indicator and if you could please provide a perspective on how I can calculate the rotation on excel so that I can feed proper data into your indicator . I did try my best but different people do it differently . But your indicator(the last one , not this one) looks a lot like FT ....

I think this indicator does the calculation you are looking for, it is not for showing the current rotation size like the other one, I use this one to calculate what my 1sd & 2sd levels should be to input them into the other indicator.

If you have a look at the screenshot in the top left corner you can see what the 1Sd & 2Sd rotation sizes are based on (x) bar fractals.

DebayanSen
Kolkata India

amoeba View Post
I think this indicator does the calculation you are looking for, it is not for showing the current rotation size like the other one, I use this one to calculate what my 1sd & 2sd levels should be to input them into the other indicator.

If you have a look at the screenshot in the top left corner you can see what the 1Sd & 2Sd rotation sizes are based on (x) bar fractals.

Hi ! Please tell me if I am doing it right

So , I set the chart to 1 minute and load 20days chart and load the fractal and set the maximum lookback to ‘infinite’ rather than 256 bars so it looks into the whole 20 days (I assume)

Mode up and down is average (in ticks)? So if its 10 and my market’s minimum tick size is 0.05 , its 0.5 ticks avg?) and 70 percentile is approx. 1 sd and 90 is 2sd(shouldn’t it be 95?) ?
I feed the data in the previous rotation indicator . I put the mode up down value as rotation size , and 1sd and 2sd I put the values of 70 and 90 percentile respectively . While the indicator does not have a mark for 1sd and 2sd , I just remember the sd values and watch the points as they move and see if the points breach my 2sd values .

This is for 1 minute time frame and obviously I will do it at a higher timeframe .
So am I doing everything right here?

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

DebayanSen View Post
Hi ! Please tell me if I am doing it right

So , I set the chart to 1 minute and load 20days chart and load the fractal and set the maximum lookback to ‘infinite’ rather than 256 bars so it looks into the whole 20 days (I assume)

Mode up and down is average (in ticks)? So if its 10 and my market’s minimum tick size is 0.05 , its 0.5 ticks avg?) and 70 percentile is approx. 1 sd and 90 is 2sd(shouldn’t it be 95?) ?
I feed the data in the previous rotation indicator . I put the mode up down value as rotation size , and 1sd and 2sd I put the values of 70 and 90 percentile respectively . While the indicator does not have a mark for 1sd and 2sd , I just remember the sd values and watch the points as they move and see if the points breach my 2sd values .

This is for 1 minute time frame and obviously I will do it at a higher timeframe .
So am I doing everything right here?

I will have to check my RotationsNT8v1 indicator to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do, I cant remember how it is calculating its 1sd & 2sd, I will have a look and post back.

DebayanSen
Kolkata India

amoeba View Post
I will have to check my RotationsNT8v1 indicator to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do, I cant remember how it is calculating its 1sd & 2sd, I will have a look and post back.

Okay thank you ! I will wait for your response .Also please let me know if I am using both the indicators properly . Another thing , I find you are using it on range bar . Shall I use it on renko ?

Lastly , I am new to this forum . Please guide me to discussions about rotation studies and strategies if you can . Also let me know how I can make it up to you for this fantastic indicator and serve the purpose of this community in my limited capacity . Thanks a tonne !

Last Updated on March 8, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts