NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

OneUp Trader Evaluation ($50,000) - Lead's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lead with 24 posts (23 thanks)
    2. looks_two TheDaxTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 area with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 matthew28 with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one matthew28 with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lead with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mrphr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TheDaxTrader with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,053 views
    2. thumb_up 31 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 44 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

OneUp Trader Evaluation ($50,000) - Lead's Trading Journal

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

lead View Post
I opened my chart back to see if an opportunity exist after calling it a day. It took me less than a minute to put in trade. The result ofcourse is deserving.

There can't be many people here who haven't done that.
The only thing that works for me when I decide to stop is to close my platform and switch off the computer and go and do something else. Especially if I have lost money I always have the temptation to try and make it back and I invariably trade badly and usually lose more.
Looking at your chart it looks like the trade lasted about ten minutes. I use a rule that if I enter an impulse trade, or a trade against my rules I will hit out and exit straight away and accept the small loss. Easier to say than do I know.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
65 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
42 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
25 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
lead
Lagos/Nigeria

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 23

matthew28 View Post
There can't be many people here who haven't done that.
The only thing that works for me when I decide to stop is to close my platform and switch off the computer and go and do something else. Especially if I have lost money I always have the temptation to try and make it back and I invariably trade badly and usually lose more.
Looking at your chart it looks like the trade lasted about ten minutes. I use a rule that if I enter an impulse trade, or a trade against my rules I will hit out and exit straight away and accept the small loss. Easier to say than do I know.

I guess shuttin down the system cld ve helped. Sorry, yes the trade lasted about 10 minutes. I actually meant my entry decision took less than a minute. Sorry for the misinformation.

It is so funny that I waited 5 hours to scalp just 3 ticks and what am I thinking when I entered a trade based on less than 1 minute analysis expecting my TP of 20 ticks to be hit?

One major reason for the loss is because I was in a haste to hit my profit target this week. Guess I have no other choice but to learn from this shortcoming.

Thanked by:
lead
Lagos/Nigeria

There comes a time in a traders(especially the amateur ones) life where you have to handle losing trades.

I guess I'm in that cross road.

I switched to Fibonacci chart setup to see how I can realign well with the professionals. Not afraid to try new things. Also I went through my charts and realized that I made 80% of my wins during the most active hour (1pm-3:30pm my time). My strategy is based on momentum trading and a low volatility market will see scalping tiny ticks and risking too much.

I have decided to trade the hours that are more volatile. And I will making using of 610 ticks to see more opportunity.

This two changes, I believe will help me structure my trading system well.

I took 3 trades today. What is more important is that I sticked with my trade setup despite having a loss of 14 ticks.

Trade one fetched me +7 ticks (Ideally if this trade was during the active hour, I'm likely to hit at least 15 ticks considering there is no resistance ahead of the price action.

Trade 2 and 3: Typical pullbacks setup. From the chart, the setups were great but this kind of setup (pullbacks) works very well during active session.

I will spend the remaining of today analyzing the Active session of CL and see how I can optimize this session.

Chart attached...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 08-17 (610 Tick) 2017_06_28.png
Views:	318
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	236658  

LDog 
Lafayette, TN/USA

Platform: SC,TastyWorks,ToS
Broker: TDA, OANDA,AMP/CQG/SC
Trading: Looking for it/them
Thanks Given: 11,904
Thanks Received: 344

lead View Post
... And I will making using of 610 ticks to see more opportunity.

If you want to REALLY see more, try looking at CL with a 89 tick chart
(not making a recommendation, just giving you something else to look at)

lead
Lagos/Nigeria

LDog View Post
If you want to REALLY see more, try looking at CL with a 89 tick chart
(not making a recommendation, just giving you something else to look at)

Sure you are right but I don't think I'm fast enough to pick those trades and again we've to factor in commission. I believe that AlgoTrade will fit in nicely in your recommendation

lead
Lagos/Nigeria

It is important to state here that my new adjustment is to help me see what is happening in other sphere. I have seen successful traders use 800, 377 and 610 tick charts. My ultimate aim is to improve my trading and make it more better.

So far, I can say the following regarding the 800 ticks

- In the london session, typically, it takes one bar 10-15 minutes to complete
- It is far effective when trading support and resistance line.
- The trades based on this chart should be based on momentum. Since we are looking at grabbing 15-20 ticks in a matter of minutes.
- All My TP of 20 ticks were hit during the New york session
- From my short experience, an ideal TP of 10-15 ticks will be well suited for the New york session
- Scalp of 3-7 ticks is more feasible during the London session.

While I will be trying out other tick chart (377 and 610), I will also leave my 800 ticks chart open.

Though my account balance has a drawn down now, it is important to state here that in a space of 9 days, I achieved about 58% of the profit target required by OneUp. This is to help see reason not to totally eliminate my present strategy but rather find feasible ways to refine my trade system.

In The trading environment, a saying goes thus.:

Change is inevitable in the unchanging market environment

Re-read the above quote once more.

Thanked by:
lead
Lagos/Nigeria

I did not update my trades yesterday but I promised I will try to post on it today.

On wednesday during the News hour, The market humbled me and the effect still resonated to my yesterday's trade. The volatility of the crude oil on the inventory report was so spiral and ofcourse detrimental to someone like me chasing the market hoping to be among the elite thread starters

Anyway, most folks here ve read similar story about account being blown and other similar scenerio, so I will save you all the stress of narrating how I ended starting from scratch (sub zero). Just lucky, I have not broken any rule.

Trading, though a simplistic game, is so subtle and nerve wrecking. I ask myself, why is it so HARD to stick by my own self made rule or are the rules not feasible in a typical market condition.

I have been doing some soul searching and putting reason to play since 2 days back.

And I hope to continue documenting my progress as I go through this path of being a professional trader.

GOD. STOICISM. LIFE

Thanked by:

kickmic 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader + Gomicators
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: 6A
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 343

lead View Post

I switched to Fibonacci chart setup to see how I can realign well with the professionals.

I took 3 trades today. What is more important is that I sticked with my trade setup despite having a loss of 14 ticks.

Hi, please note this intended to be useful feedback, not an attack or criticism

With regard to your comments on Fibs, what evidence do you have that professionals use them?

Also, it's utterly useless to gain any insight from just three trades. You want meaningful sample sizes of trades to draw meaningful conclusion

Good luck

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

rintin2x 
salt lake utah

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 634
Thanks Received: 542

@lead you've been doing good, why are you changing your method and try using fibs? Yes, I can see sometimes you hold your loser too big, but that's pretty much it.

lead
Lagos/Nigeria

I appreciate all the inputs. Though, I didn't break any of the rule, I mailed Oneup regarding cancelling the evaluation.I took this step to help guage my trading. I am presently during an intensive evaluation of my trading system. Sorry i'm yet to update the house on my result so far.

Last Updated on January 7, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts