NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 455 posts (1,602 thanks)
    2. looks_two tderrick with 74 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 52 posts (176 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluemele with 34 posts (37 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 211,334 views
    2. thumb_up 2,558 thanks given
    3. group 102 followers
    1. forum 994 posts
    2. attach_file 228 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

Today was a great trading day.

I hit my daily stop limit on two trades and done. BUT I traded well. I took my signals, held them until they were not valid any longer and then quit.

I wish they had been winners instead but they weren't. I did everything right except make money.

No jack hammer heart, no fear in the losing trade, just another day at the office.

This is what I want to be every day. Of course with winners instead of losers but hey, momma told me there'd be days like this.

Til next time.

Cheers.........

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks
 tmmaggi 
Toledo, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 68

aztrader9 View Post

Congratulations to you!! Even though you had two losses, I am thrilled that you have achieved what we all want: No jack-hammer heart when your stops are hit. I hope to get there someday. Yesterday, I filled out my trading checklist. The trade hit my small profit target and all my rules were followed perfectly. I commented to a family member that there will be times when I follow the rules perfectly but will still lose. I just hope I can learn from your example . . .

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Well its that time of the week again. Time to enjoy the weekend. I trade ok today. Not great and not bad.

Mostly just trying to preserve capital right now. Trading a small account is tough to be sure. Every dollar is a scared one. But I am trying.

Its a great journey. One I am on by myself but the encouragement of others and the support of my family. Thats huge.

The week ended net negative. I was mostly green but had two nasty stops yesterday and did not make it all back today. Its ok though. I made some real good progress mentally and now ready to begin the next phase. Making money.

Thats all for now, gotta go pick up my kid from school.

Started this thread
 MCRENT 
Ventura,CA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra
Trading: ES,YM
Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 6

aztrader9 View Post

I hit my daily stop limit on two trades and done. BUT I traded well. I took my signals, held them until they were not valid any longer and then quit.

I wish they had been winners instead but they weren't. I did everything right except make money.

No jack hammer heart, no fear in the losing trade, just another day at the office.

This is what I want to be every day. Of course with winners instead of losers but hey, momma told me there'd be days like this.

Til next time.

Cheers.........

What a great thread and congrats on following your rules. Your attitude seems really good even though you did not make money...

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

aztrader9 View Post
Thats all for now, gotta go pick up my kid from school.

I know that many of us began trading because of the freedom it promises, such as the ability to spend more time with family (work from home, retire early, etc). But, never lose sight that family is #1 and is "now", don't get caught up and bury yourself in charts and work for a "future" reward, while not paying attention to your friends and family now. Without them, there isn't much to trade for.

Have a good weekend

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

Big Mike View Post
I know that many of us began trading because of the freedom it promises, such as the ability to spend more time with family (work from home, retire early, etc). But, never lose sight that family is #1 and is "now", don't get caught up and bury yourself in charts and work for a "future" reward, while not paying attention to your friends and family now. Without them, there isn't much to trade for.

Have a good weekend

Mike

couldn't agree more with you

GT
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Got up this morning coughing. Not sure why. Some sort of sinus thing going on which happens to me sometimes as the weather changes here in AZ. Don't really feel bad otherwise but could not concentrate on charts. Decided if I could not concentrate, could not trade. The coughing lasted for about three hours. By then the best trades were over, clearly signaled on the chart. But no worries. I am sure I would have spent money today if I had traded. I watched charts in between coughing spells and around 10:30 felt better enough look at calling a trade. I marked it on the chart, remember, no sim trades right, and took it off with 28 ticks of profit and right at resistance.

I am done for the day.

Cheers..........

Started this thread
 soumi71 
Toronto

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: CL , 6E
Thanks Given: 760
Thanks Received: 274

Good job !

"Risk more than others think safe.
Dream more than others think practical.
Expect more than others think possible.
Care more than others think wise"
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

My trading method is really set up to catch the move of the day, whatever that is. Today, we had some early choppiness, followed by a really nice 100 tick long trade. I saw both the short and long in the chop zone, and did take them. I was looking for the short and a perfect long set up happened. I saw it happening, but had short on the brain. About 30 seconds after it happened, I realized what the move of the day was and I had missed it.

So no trade for me today. I don't chase trades so that one is gone. Of course today, there were a couple of nice re-entry points but by then was less optimistic about how much further it had to go. The remainder of the trade from that point would have been ok but I chose not to enter.

Done for the day.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Life, it is why we trade.

I signed off early today, then synced my iPhone with some pics and apps I've been meaning to get around to. Then opened my non trading email account and found a wonderful surprise. One of my good friends will be here from India next month for a few days. Can't wait for that.

Then I unsubscribed from a bunch more email lists, read my RSS feeds, deleted even more unread email and basically closed some gaps in my life today.

Later today, spending time with my kid, and tomorrow will be doing some volunteer work again. Probably the rest of the week as well.

I've spent almost two years here at the computer learning to trade. I have an edge and now its time to live like I was trading profitably every day. In other words, keep the promise I made to myself in this journal weeks ago to not be at the charts all day long. To trade and then go live.

I guess I had a moment of real clarity last night but finally it hit home, trade well and quit. So thats what I will do from now on.

And one more thing, I've gotten some heat over the fact that in my trading career, I've experienced symptoms like jack hammer heart beat, shaky hands, etc when entering a live trade. I am so sorry those people who have given me grief over this feel the need to make fun of someone else's journey. I am glad you are perfect but I'm not and this journal is about my journey and not someone else's. I'm over those symptoms at least for now and so instead of making fun, try encouraging people instead. I've also noticed those who gloat or poke fun, don't actually trade real money. So I guess I should not worry about them to much.......there is the answer actually. Discount those who criticize if they are not trading real money.

I should probably delete that last part but its part of the journey and so I thought it should be included. Is there such a thing as to much transparency?

Last post today I promise.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 25, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts