NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 455 posts (1,602 thanks)
    2. looks_two tderrick with 74 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 52 posts (176 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluemele with 34 posts (37 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 212,612 views
    2. thumb_up 2,558 thanks given
    3. group 102 followers
    1. forum 994 posts
    2. attach_file 228 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

To every one that posted or PM'd me with help ideas...thanks....I tried them all and its gone!

I am going to buy this Trading Performance Analyzer to replace what I had built. Its better anyway and far cheaper than the previous trade analyzers I have looked at. The only drawback is you will get a million emails once you buy it. Just unsubscribe from the list.

I am starting over in terms of trade analysis so tomorrow begins a new chapter.....fortunately, I remember more or less where I was before the disaster.

I hope all you CL traders made money today. Most trend following systems would have gotten killed or just barely broken even unless you were perfect on both entries and exits.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

sysot1t 

you should look at this one as well...

Futures Trading Journal Spreadsheet - Trading Log

I use it myself... and I have all of his spreadsheets since I liked keeping the same format for the different things I do..

as to your onenote data.. assuming you do have system restores enabled for your data drive.. just go to "My Documents" and right click on "My Notebook", select properties and then go to "Previous Versions".. you should then be able to browse, copy or restore the snapshot.. and find the notebook where you had your data...

I always enable system restore on my data drive... and I allocate 10% of my drive to it... of course, I also backup my drive to LTO4 via netbackup, but that is another story.

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

sysot1t View Post
you should look at this one as well...

Futures Trading Journal Spreadsheet - Trading Log

I use it myself... and I have all of his spreadsheets since I liked keeping the same format for the different things I do..

as to your onenote data.. assuming you do have system restores enabled for your data drive.. just go to "My Documents" and right click on "My Notebook", select properties and then go to "Previous Versions".. you should then be able to browse, copy or restore the snapshot.. and find the notebook where you had your data...

I always enable system restore on my data drive... and I allocate 10% of my drive to it... of course, I also backup my drive to LTO4 via netbackup, but that is another story.

I have looked at that journal but had forgotten, it actually looks like it may be better than the one I was looking at. I will compare both again.

As to the onenote issue, I have no idea if I have system restore enabled or not but when I went to my documents I had OneNote Notebooks instead of My Notebooks and there was no Previous Version option in the right click menu. All the note books are there of course when I open One Note Notebooks but my spreadsheet is nowhere to be found in them.

Started this thread

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Had my first losing day in a while. Woke up late, skipped the morning walk...the wind was blowing hard anyway but still messed my routine up, third, I had a court date today for a traffic violation...don't ask, it was stupid but the fine I was told could be over $1000....not something I was looking forward to.

I was also expecting a break out day from yesterday's inside day action. I was also expecting that to happen pretty much right out of the gate.....why? But the first hour or so was really choppy with no real break to speak of. First two trades were stops. One for -8 and the other for -3. Then I had a scratch trade and then decided to go get something to eat while the market sorted itself out. Sure enough, the break down I had been waiting for happened and I missed all of it.

Then another small stop, another scratch and then another stop....-28 for the day.

In hindsight, there was opportunity even with the grind, in real time, I did not like the set ups at all this morning, I did take legit set ups but no real follow through. I had a couple real nice set ups after I quit but I am committed to honoring my daily stop of -30 ticks. I haven't hit that in almost two weeks now so I guess its not too bad.

Still evaluating spreadsheet and journal software. Expect to make a decision in a few days. I am still in mourning over the loss of all that data.

All in all though, I feel pretty good about the last couple of weeks and the manner at which those success were achieved. I feel like I am reading price action better, staying out of most of the chop......other than today.....and in general making reasonably good progress. Overall I am up 100 ticks over the last 10 trading days. Not great but not bad either.

Cheers.............

Started this thread

MWinfrey 
Lubbock TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Stage 5 Trading
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 1,450
Thanks Received: 3,335

In your mourning of your loss, you haven't said anything about starting a backup regime. You might want to seriously consider a daily backup of important files that you would cause you grief if you lost them. An application I just became aware of is dropbox. Once installed and setup, it will synchronize changed files with a folder on a server on the interner. The technical reviews are very good and looks like something I am going to start using. You can find it at Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy..

Mike

Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

MWinfrey View Post
In your mourning of your loss, you haven't said anything about starting a backup regime. You might want to seriously consider a daily backup of important files that you would cause you grief if you lost them. An application I just became aware of is dropbox. Once installed and setup, it will synchronize changed files with a folder on a server on the interner. The technical reviews are very good and looks like something I am going to start using. You can find it at Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy..

Mike

I use Carbonite with the BootCamp XP Partition on my Mac... I love it. Great, hands free back up...

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

I actually use Dropbox and have for several months. Trouble is, the folder with all my trading stuff in it never made it to Dropbox. It is there now I assure you. I was able to recover the trades from the 21st of October to current day. But all the other data is gone.

I was unable to post yesterday as I finished trading and ran out the door to do some volunteer work at the church. Basically I helped mow 6 acres of grass in prep for our annual fall festival on Sunday night. Let me tell you, pushing a mower for 6 hours, unloading countless bags of grass and starting the mower about a hundred times is no work for a desk jockey! By the end of the day, I could barely pull the start cord. Thank god it was one of those mowers that starts with one pull, otherwise I'd been in trouble. My right shoulder is killing me today!

Due to the above mentioned exercise and the fact I came home, showered and went straight back out for another meeting that lasted until 9PM and finally collapsed into bed around 10:30 last night, I missed the opening bell today. In fact did not wake up until 6:30 my time and then made it to the computer at 6:50 after a quick shower and a brownie for breakfast.....yummy!

First three trades....all small losers.......Fourth trade......a 40 tick winner.....50% of the day's movement up til that point.....+23 ticks now.....then a bunch of tiny losers and winners as I tried to pick my way through the really narrow chop. Total of 10 trades....+6 on the day.

Then I took my kid to school, walked home after my wife dropped me of a mile away from the house while she went to visit her mom and when I got home, a real nice 100 tick sell off happened while I was away....oh well. Thats how I roll baby, work hard for a few ticks and miss the easy money.....I am getting better at this though.

Ended the month +140 ticks. Not where I wanted to be but better than in the past.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

aztrader9 View Post

Then another small stop, another scratch and then another stop....-28 for the day.

Cheers.............

I came back an hour from the close and made back 24 ticks and so ended the day -4 instead of -28....

Started this thread
 sysot1t 

am surprise that you would trust a 3rd party with your data... I trust no-one with my data... look at the following tools..

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

I use it to image my systems.. basically, I take an image weekly or monthly depending how often I mess with it.. it also has the ability to backup folders, but I dont use that feature too much...

LaCie - 4big Quadra
LaCie - LaCie 5big Backup Server
BlackArmor | Seagate

I have used both of the above products.. as I mentioned before... my setup is different as I use tape and disk given I have Solaris/AIX systems at home that I backup as well as part of my lab... so you dont need NetBackup or Tape Libraries as I do.. but if you are interested on tape.. check out..

PROVANTAGE: Storage Department

the way I see it.. my data is invaluable.. I cant always replace it... so I dont really care what I need to spend to protect it ... content is most important as it represents knowledge..

Hapster 
San Diego, California

Platform: NinjaTrader, Felton
Trading: CL, GC
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 81

sysot1t View Post
am surprise that you would trust a 3rd party with your data... I trust no-one with my data... look at the following tools..

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

I use it to image my systems.. basically, I take an image weekly or monthly depending how often I mess with it.. it also has the ability to backup folders, but I dont use that feature too much...

LaCie - 4big Quadra
LaCie - LaCie 5big Backup Server
BlackArmor | Seagate

I have used both of the above products.. as I mentioned before... my setup is different as I use tape and disk given I have Solaris/AIX systems at home that I backup as well as part of my lab... so you dont need NetBackup or Tape Libraries as I do.. but if you are interested on tape.. check out..

PROVANTAGE: Storage Department

the way I see it.. my data is invaluable.. I cant always replace it... so I dont really care what I need to spend to protect it ... content is most important as it represents knowledge..

And what happens, God forbid, you have a fire at your premises and your physical hard drives are toast, quite literally?

H

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 25, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts