NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 455 posts (1,602 thanks)
    2. looks_two tderrick with 74 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 52 posts (176 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluemele with 34 posts (37 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 211,435 views
    2. thumb_up 2,558 thanks given
    3. group 102 followers
    1. forum 994 posts
    2. attach_file 228 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Zen & the Art of The Small Account

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

Big Mike View Post
I think the 2 trades is a step in the right direction. Such a rule won't make you profitable long term, but it will help get you back on track short term and force you to focus. Also, if you break the two trades a day rule, it also clearly shows you cannot follow your rules, and have no business trading.

Mike

Thanks @Big Mike. At least it shows I have no business trading live money....that much I will admit.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

itrade2win 
New York

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, TOS
Trading: E-mini S&P 500
Thanks Given: 447
Thanks Received: 437

Big Mike View Post
I think the 2 trades is a step in the right direction. Such a rule won't make you profitable long term, but it will help get you back on track short term and force you to focus. Also, if you break the two trades a day rule, it also clearly shows you cannot follow your rules, and have no business trading.

Mike

Mike

I agree with you regarding following rules based theory, but wouldn't it be advantagous to create the rule to say either a profit target of 1 or 2 pts for the day or a circuit breaker of say 2 to 4 pts for the day or what limit the person is comfortable with?

Cheers
itrade2win

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,179
Thanks Received: 101,542

itrade2win View Post
Mike

I agree with you regarding following rules based theory, but wouldn't it be advantagous to create the rule to say either a profit target of 1 or 2 pts for the day or a circuit breaker of say 2 to 4 pts for the day or what limit the person is comfortable with?

Cheers
itrade2win

Sure, sounds fine to me I just prefer the 'x trades' rule because I find there is no grey area.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Big Mike View Post
Sure, sounds fine to me I just prefer the 'x trades' rule because I find there is no grey area.

Mike

I too prefer the x trades method. Otherwise I can just trade and trade and forget about the number of points, ticks or whatever. 2 trade is easy to remember and is totally quantifiable.

Started this thread
 Laserdan 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninja Trader Broker / Continuum
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 57

Big Mike View Post
if you break the two trades a day rule, it also clearly shows you cannot follow your rules, and have no business trading.

Mike

AGREED!!!!

Laserdan
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

I only took two trades today. Both losers.

1st trade, legit setup that failed. No worries.

2nd trade, entered long in an attempt to test high of the morning and forgot about news. I got 6 ticks of profit and then news hit, filled my stop of 8 ticks and I ended up with 3 ticks of profit before it actually filled the order. In real life, this probably would have been 8 ticks or more of loss instead of 3 ticks of profit.

The chart below is one that has my marked trades in real time. As you can see, I have it marked for my next target which is low of day. It could take all day to get there. So far, I am 100% on the real time marked trades.

I will post the final one along with my actual trades showing at end of day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25 August CL_1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	19133  
Started this thread
Thanked by:
 Laserdan 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninja Trader Broker / Continuum
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 57

Big Mike View Post
if you break the two trades a day rule, it also clearly shows you cannot follow your rules, and have no business trading.

Mike

Remember...

just for one day...if you cant keep your one day rule...Only you know if you are not telling the truth...

you can make another rule for tomorrow if you really kept your word today

Laserdan
Follow me on Twitter

jerry828 
Sweden

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT6.5
Broker: DTN, Mirus/Zenfire, Berkeley
Trading: ES, DAX, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 27

aztrader9 View Post
I only took two trades today. Both losers.

1st trade, legit setup that failed. No worries.

2nd trade, entered long in an attempt to test high of the morning and forgot about news. I got 6 ticks of profit and then news hit, filled my stop of 8 ticks and I ended up with 3 ticks of profit before it actually filled the order. In real life, this probably would have been 8 ticks or more of loss instead of 3 ticks of profit.

The chart below is one that has my marked trades in real time. As you can see, I have it marked for my next target which is low of day. It could take all day to get there. So far, I am 100% on the real time marked trades.

I will post the final one along with my actual trades showing at end of day.

AZ, I've been lurking around this thread with great interest for some time now. I believe that you are an extremely talented and accomplished individual, and your ability to search within yourself is both impressing and touching.

Now the bad news, in the trading world that doesn't count for much. Being right in this context is making money, nothing else. And even worse, nobody gives you any appreciation other than yourself. It's stone cold, and I believe that you are aware of this by now.

I have traveled the very same road, and found that being a PhD, MENSA member, a successful business owner or anything else objectively considered as an accomplishment outside the trading business provides no merit in this game. I was mentally programmed to be right all the time, and if I wasn't I considered it a failure.

For me, trading is all in the head. You don't need a PhD or even high school degree to find a method that gives you an edge. But you better need to prove your edge, believe in it and most important of all, be consistent and throw any ego aside.

You will never be right all of the time but you can be right most of the time. That's hard enough to accept for most people.

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Laserdan View Post
Remember...

just for one day...if you cant keep your one day rule...Only you know if you are not telling the truth...

you can make another rule for tomorrow if you really kept your word today

That's very true.....and thanks for pointing that out.....

And I have already made a new rule for tomorrow. 3 Trades....check back later....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25 August CL_2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	19134   Click image for larger version

Name:	25 August NT summary.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	19135  
Started this thread

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

jerry828 View Post
AZ, I've been lurking around this thread with great interest for some time now. I believe that you are an extremely talented and accomplished individual, and your ability to search within yourself is both impressing and touching.

Now the bad news, in the trading world that doesn't count for much. Being right in this context is making money, nothing else. And even worse, nobody gives you any appreciation other than yourself. It's stone cold, and I believe that you are aware of this by now.

I have traveled the very same road, and found that being a PhD, MENSA member, a successful business owner or anything else objectively considered as an accomplishment outside the trading business provides no merit in this game. I was mentally programmed to be right all the time, and if I wasn't I considered it a failure.

For me, trading is all in the head. You don't need a PhD or even high school degree to find a method that gives you an edge. But you better need to prove your edge, believe in it and most important of all, be consistent and throw any ego aside.

You will never be right all of the time but you can be right most of the time. That's hard enough to accept for most people.

It has taken 18 months to realize that being wrong is perfectly ok. In all other aspects of life, being wrong is seen as a weakness. Never mind most truly successful people failed for years in anonymity before they made it. In trading its a non-event, or at least its supposed to be anyway.

This journal is not about being right. Its about trading well. At first it was about being right. But thats over. I do disagree with you though on knowing you who are inside is without merit. Quite the reverse, I think you need to know who you are as a person, what you believe in and what your weakness are as well as your strengths before you will really be big time. Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with you. I think trading will reward the patient and focused person regardless of intellect and education. And perhaps those without better degrees more....not sure on that one though. I have no personal experience to justify that statement. Just a gut feel.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 25, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts