NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A new (open source?) trading platform

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MXASJ with 13 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 12 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tradelink with 10 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 NetTecture with 10 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one NetTecture with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wh with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tradelink with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MXASJ with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 78,404 views
    2. thumb_up 90 thanks given
    3. group 38 followers
    1. forum 142 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

A new (open source?) trading platform

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

Hi,

I have labeled @ustaudinger as a vendor now that his product is no longer free. As a vendor, this means he is no longer allowed to make any post on futures.io (formerly BMT) to promote his product. If you have interest in his product, you will need to contact him directly.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
r3algood
Little Rock, Arkansas

Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 109

ustaudinger View Post
Let's put it simple. "Everyone" is wrong.

Why would anyone trust you as a vendor of software if you do not even know what "open source" software means?

ustaudinger
Luzern, Switzerland

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

The discussion shifted a bit to what's OS and what's not.

r3algood View Post
Why would anyone trust you as a vendor of software if you do not even know what "open source" software means?

As MrYou also confirmed, "In agreement with @ustaudinger, open source does not mean the source code is widely available on demand. The producer is allowed to only provide the source code to the customers/end users of the software."

Again:
Quoting(!!) the OSI page:
1) "The license shall not restrict any party from selling [..] the software"
2) "The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form"
3) "The license must allow modifications and derived work"

Look, you can make a program and sell it under a GPL license. Whether the one that bought GPL software gives this bought software away for free is totally irrelevant for GPL or OSI.

It is relevant that a user may modify the software, may re-sell the modified software (even at a price of 0) and in case of GPL that this resold software must be under the same license.

The spirit of OS is, that software source code is distributed along the program and to thus foster further development.

If you really want to dive further and read OSI,GPL, etc. consider the following two sources:
- Free Software vs. Open Source
- Fighting for freedom with freedom is more like it. | Digital Citizen

And from a laymans point of view:
- open source - Is it ethical/legal to modify sourceforge.net projects and sell them commercially? - Stack Overflow

So, r3algood, to conclude, I also wouldn't trust a vendor that puts OS on his product but doesn't know what OS means (see pts 1-3 above). Luckily I know!

ustaudinger
Luzern, Switzerland

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

artemiso View Post
@ustaudinger

I'm not surprised from your previous actions that you now lift the words completely out of context to justify your agenda. The subheading clearly implied that those conditions applied to redistribution. You might as well have quoted: "The license[...] require[s]... selling.... and... must... place restrictions." What about: "there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost"?

Again, source code in OSI software must be available to the purchasers and users of OSI approved software. Reproduction cost refers to the availability of source code.

This means, if you already bought OSI software, the source code must be made available at reasonable cost. For example, a vendor can't just print the source code and ship it and charge 2000 USD for shipping and printing costs.

artemiso View Post
@ustaudinger
You began with claims of an "open core" and asked for contributors. Then with no due notice, changed the way it was distributed in less than 3 months.

There was no change in the license. We are on Freshmeat as a since 2004 and since then it was always OS software. We just locked down the distribution circle, that's all.

artemiso View Post
@ustaudinger
And now probed, point out that potential contributors must now contact you to become a private developer, and that they must give you something in return, and that you have to pay for access - which makes you a vendor, and that a covert advertisement. I don't have a problem with this because it's entirely your choice how to do business and I'm fine with vendor advertisements, but I am advising that it doesn't put you in a good light because anyone can imagine how 'jipped' one would feel if he had contributed to your project under the impression that was initially advertised 3 months ago.

The existing project contributors have always had and still have full access ...So I don't get your point?

Indeed, this was a bit unclear. Giving something in return doesn't mean money - it means a contribution, for example source code, documentation or time. Clients and contributors are two separate entities.

It's tricky to identify contributors that do not share the spirit of the group ...

artemiso View Post
@ustaudinger
Both sam028 and I have pointed out that the problem lies with the access, not whether or not you are selling it. I've already stated in my second post that I well know that an open source redistribution may be sold, but this is an entirely different matter from false advertisement - how you're concealing several elements of what you had intended to do, and how you are misleading people about the nature of the deal.
Cheers

Cheers!

artemiso 
New York, NY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

@ustaudinger

It's clear that we will not come to an agreement about this.

If I may ask, what do you mean by 3 us in-application messaging? Is this 3 us per message? What's the size of the messages used for this benchmark?

Jasonnator 
Denver, Colorado United States

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8 + Custom
Broker: NT Brokerage, Kinetick, IQFeed, Interactive Brokers
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 166

It's a zombie thread, quick kill it kill it. Nope, it won't die

Seriously though, I found an open source platform which is actually open source and actually pretty good, StockSharp. It is coded by Russian developers so I've spent a lot of time translating comments and strings trying to figure out how this things works.

Great points:
It compiles out of the box!
Numerous data feed providers and brokers are already supported.
Super slick interface!

Iffy points:
It used a lot of commercial frameworks (i.e. acticpro). There is a StockSharp license tool which generates a local license and allows those frameworks to be used. I don't fully understand how they make this work but ok.

Bad:
Unless you are fluent in Russian, you're going to have a lot of translating to do. I have forked the StockSharp repository and created an English branch so please feel free to clone it....or send me pull requests
Chm file is in Russian and has over 15k htm pages. I have a thread open asking for help on translating this beast, link

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

Jasonnator View Post
Unless you are fluent in Russian, you're going to have a lot of translating to do. I have forked the StockSharp repository and created an English branch so please feel free to clone it....or send me pull requests
Chm file is in Russian and has over 15k htm pages. I have a thread open asking for help on translating this beast, link

Interesting that you have found it, StockSharp, is on the free platforms that we will add to our new site shortly.
It's a very interesting platform model where it is free, unless you need support and then it charges monthly.
To the best of our understanding it could be connected via OEC (Gain Capital), which they said is rather good for this.

Matt

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

Platform: NinjaTrader, Racket
Trading: Ockham's razor
Thanks Given: 320
Thanks Received: 623

mattz View Post
Interesting that you have found it, StockSharp, is on the free platforms that we will add to our new site shortly.
It's a very interesting platform model where it is free, unless you need support and then it charges monthly.
To the best of our understanding it could be connected via OEC (Gain Capital), which they said is rather good for this.

Matt

When you say you will add it to your new site do you mean the russian version or some English translation of the software?

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

gregid View Post
When you say you will add it to your new site do you mean the russian version or some English translation of the software?

We will initially launch it in its native language, however, the team at StockSharp told us that English version should be released shortly. Please PM me, I am interested in discussing this platform further with you.

Matt

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jasonnator 
Denver, Colorado United States

Platform: NT8 + Custom
Broker: NT Brokerage, Kinetick, IQFeed, Interactive Brokers
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 166

The program already has built in support for the gui to operate in English. The developers used a master string class which contains both English and Russian (pretty clever). The comments in the code were Russian only but that it pretty easily translated, there's just a lot to translate.

If you install the binary they provide and use their license tool, you can use the platform complete with all features and an English interface.

Last Updated on March 10, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts