NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

gulabv 
Dallas, TX

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: ZN, 6E
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 169

wgreenie View Post
Hi Gulabv

I have 2 Inside Bar strategies (one for Long and one for Short) running. For the first Yellow bar upon its completion, there were 2 Stop orders waiting (Buy Stop @75.91 and Sell Stop @75.72). Buy Stop was first filled and stopped out @16 ticks. Then Sell Stop was filled (I let it run as a reversal trade) and 12 ticks PT reached.

Note: I missed cancelling the Sell Stop order (thought NJ would do that for me as it did yesterday).

Hope the above will clear the air a little. Sorry for the confusion caused.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess there is a typo on your chart on post 320. It should say Long -$160 and Short +120. Don't know if you can change it for the benefit of other members who may read your post in the future and ask the same question!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

gulabv View Post
Jeff,

Excellent recovery late in the day to only be down -2 !!

Did you use your discretion to try to go for 16 ticks on your later trades instead of your 8/16 PT (I guess you were trying to recover entirely)?

Yes.......I was trying to recover......but also trying to not be desperate and do something foolish and make the situation worse.......that has happened before

My track record has shown good results for achieving +16 and the wisdom of moving my stop after +8 first target has beeen achieved is still in question. So........I went for it and it worked out. It was NOT fun though......the second and third trade took too long to develop.....the only one that moved well was the last trade.....I call that one the "push into the close.".....Just like the "push into lunch" that we often get.

So...all I really did was open up my targets to what is usually my second target......the only discretion I used is in closing the second to last trade.........and I'm not sure that discretion was very good as price ended up going to my extended target of +16 and made a new low for the day.

I think the reason that trading CL was tough today is that most of the action had occured overnight.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

gulabv View Post
I guess there is a typo on your chart on post 320. It should say Long -$160 and Short +120.

Thanks Gulabv for spotting my typo! Just fixed the morning and afternoon posts.

Beth

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

I thought that I would take a moment to explain what I meant in post #313 when I said that I needed to have a good "forgetter."

Many years ago........when I was a college student I worked for a local building contractor. At the time we were doing a residential remodel for an elderly couple. The husband was a retired OBGYN and his wife had worked with him in his practice. During the course of conversation one day the wife noted that a "woman had to have a good fogetter or she would NEVER have a second child." (Had to forget the pain and discomfort of having the first one) I was amused by what she had said and reflected on a variety of other circumstances that would benefit from such a philosophy.

What does this have to do with trading???? Well........I think having a good "forgetter" is vital. You can't get too excited about a win and you can't get too excited over a loss. You are just a lean, mean trading machine.....executing your plan.......no matter what. Take your win....take your loss and forget them..... move on to your next set up. Don't let any emotions keep you from doing your job.

Obviously, when the trading day is over you can review the day and learn from the events of the day. BUT.....when you are in the heat of battle........YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD FORGETTER.

Jeff

gulabv 
Dallas, TX

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ZN, 6E
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 169

wgreenie View Post
Thanks Gulabv for spotting my typo! Just fixed the morning and afternoon posts.

Beth

Hey Beth one more question - I thought your inside bar strategy SL was 25 why did you change it to 16 on that first losing long trade? It worked out for you!!

wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

gulabv View Post
Hey Beth one more question - I thought your inside bar strategy SL was 25 why did you change it to 16 on that first losing long trade? It worked out for you!!

Yes, all trades start with PT/SL @12 and 25. I adjusted it close to Sell Stop when it started falling. 25 SL is huge (actually I think 16 is big too) and every attempt will be made to close a trade with minimal loss.

Beth

victhiry 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Optimus / Rithmic
Trading: TF,ES
Thanks Given: 184
Thanks Received: 9

Hello , as you will note , this is my first post , have been lurking long enough , time to try to contibute .
First ,my thanks to Jeff for this great program , btw, Jeff we are all most neighbors , I am down the road from you .
I know we do not trade this program after hours, but if did ,today would have been great . 9 out of 10 winners.
I am still in practice made , therefore , attaching my chart ( hopefully ) , for any comments, suggestions.
Thanks again Jeff and all the other contributors.
Vic

Do not know if this is the proper way to show the chart , if it does not work , will someone be so kind to instruct .

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/jpffbj.gif[/img]

Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

victhiry View Post
Hello , as you will note , this is my first post , have been lurking long enough , time to try to contibute .
First ,my thanks to Jeff for this great program , btw, Jeff we are all most neighbors , I am down the road from you .
I know we do not trade this program after hours, but if did ,today would have been great . 9 out of 10 winners.
I am still in practice made , therefore , attaching my chart ( hopefully ) , for any comments, suggestions.
Thanks again Jeff and all the other contributors.
Vic

Do not know if this is the proper way to show the chart , if it does not work , will someone be so kind to instruct .

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/jpffbj.gif[/IMG]

Hi Vic ,

Welcome aboard. In examining your chart........it seems that you've got the inside bar and the outside bar trade down but...........there are some other trade on the chart that I do no recognize.........at least they do not fit the description in post #1. I'm not saying that they aren't good trades.......I just saying that several of the trades are not one of the "three set up" trades that we are talking about on this thread.

See attached chart. Six winners and one loser. The one loser (the last trade) you hadn't gotten to yet.

How far down the road from me?

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 08-10  6_29_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	16252  
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

wgreenie View Post
Yes, all trades start with PT/SL @12 and 25. I adjusted it close to Sell Stop when it started falling. 25 SL is huge (actually I think 16 is big too) and every attempt will be made to close a trade with minimal loss.

I trail my stops too, but be careful because you're opening pandora's box.

If we backtest (automated or manual) and determine that we should use x target and y stop, and then we trade it and add discretion we might not get the same results that we did with the backtest. It can be better or worse, it depends on the trader. A lot of trading goes against normal human emotions, so it's very possible to do worse. Experienced profitable traders will certainly be able to do better. Our normal tendancy is to take profits quicker and losers later. But taking loser too quickly (trailing a stop too close) or taking winners too later (giving them too much room) often doesn't work either.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

My trade Entry bar, which later turned to a REVERSAL BAR was a bullish bar when I pulled my LONG/BUY trigger. I pulled the trigger based on the OUTSIDE BAR (the blue bar) at the left of the now REVERSAL BAR. The trade made an initial turn against me up to -$225; but later triggered my Targets.

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3SetUps6E30062010_0730am.png
Views:	212
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	16256   Click image for larger version

Name:	3SetUps6E30062010_0730am_result.png
Views:	201
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	16257  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts