NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

ikew 
ny

This IB trading is known for many years and I did not hear/read about any great trader that use it.
It is my understanding that since the market is unpredictable, the best short term traders (like the ones on the floor that I am talking to) working orders just as they see a directional momentum being created. This short term momentum can give you a safe in and out for a few ticks. Do it 10-20-30 times a day and you are more than OK with a very low risk per trade.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 Zoethecus 
United States of America

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT

ikew View Post
This IB trading is known for many years and I did not hear/read about any great trader that use it.
It is my understanding that since the market is unpredictable, the best short term traders (like the ones on the floor that I am talking to) working orders just as they see a directional momentum being created. This short term momentum can give you a safe in and out for a few ticks. Do it 10-20-30 times a day and you are more than OK with a very low risk per trade.

Sounds like taking candy from a baby, doesn't it?

The success rate of futures floor traders is no different than those who trade behind a screen.

Now back to the topic..........

Zoethecus 
United States of America

Platform: NT

cunparis View Post
I'm sure I could make the IB setup work for me it just requires some discretion and that's the problem I have, it's hard for me to do both crude & ES at the same time.

It's hard to serve two masters.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

PowerM View Post
Hey guys
It is the first time that I post within an existing thread. I am quite new in this community and also in daytrading, and I am still looking for a first consistent daytrading setup, no matter if it concerns German or American stocks or - futures.
This page is really a "massive ressource" for trading issues, thats why I like it.
I am writing within this thread because it is called "three set ups". To be honest, one would be enough for me for the beginning to explore.
Nevertheless, I am a bit unsure now as we are on page 75 with the 3 setups and 742 answers have been given before my post right now.
So, would I miss something most important if I would not read all the posts before and simply try the setups introduced on page one of this thread?
Any proposals and setups are highly welcome ;

This is also a thread which serves as a social gathering place for many. But it has merited its place in Big Mike's Forum. Range and volume analysis are outstanding tools in determining trade setups. This thread is about range analysis. If you want to post, you would have to quickly read your way through the prior posts. Some of them are just 1 line long.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

ikew View Post

Prior to the directional momentum which has been created, there was a period of low volatility such as represented by an inside bar. This thread is not about trading inside bars, but about the breakouts, which occur afterwards.

Also you do not want to trade any directional momentum, which is exhausted. You want to trade it, when it is fresh and alive and accelerates. This is exactly, what happens after a breakout from an inside bar.

If you say that you do not know any great trader who uses inside and narrow range bars, have a look at the website of Crabel Capital Management LLC. They have over $ 1 billion under management, but maybe they are not great traders.

Toby Crabel has published a book in 1990 and some articles in the TASC magazine which can be found here

Technical Analysis, Inc. Home for Stocks & Commodities magazine

You may find some websites which offer the articles for free download, as well.

Thanked by:
 eminitrdr 
Marietta, Oh USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zenfire
Trading: Euro
Thanks Given: 459
Thanks Received: 207

On the first page, Jeff lists the indicators he uses to trade THE THREE SETUPS for crude. One of them is the TradingTime.cs. I compiled it but don't see where there is an option to change it to a different time zone. Can someone please help. I need to select trading times for EST. Am I over-looking an option on Jeff's to change or is there another indicator that allows for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

gulabv 
Dallas, TX

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: ZN, 6E
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 169

eminitrdr,

You have to change the code in the tradingtime.cs file and recompile it to suit EST. It is currently coded for PST.

if( (ToTime(Time[0]) >= 060000 && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 090000)||
(ToTime(Time[0]) >= 100000 && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 111500)||
(ToTime(Time[0]) >= 000015 && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 000000)||
(ToTime(Time[0]) >= 000015 && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 000000)

Thanked by:
 eminitrdr 
Marietta, Oh USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zenfire
Trading: Euro
Thanks Given: 459
Thanks Received: 207

Disregard the above request. I figured it out.

Jeff, thanks for all your effort and contributions. Many thanks.

Thanks gulaby. Yeah, I kind of figured it out once I gave it more thought. But, thanks for the quick reply.

Thanked by:
 ikew 
ny

Fat tails,

"They have over $ 1 billion under management, but maybe they are not great traders.

This is not trading its assests management...2% yearly....

"Toby Crabel has published a book in 1990 and some articles in the TASC magazine"

You may want to read this about the Toby's IB book....
TraderFeed: Toby Crabel And The Epistemology Of Trading Expertise

When you read it you may find that the IB system is not so simple as we see it here in this thread and have a lot behind it to make it work. A lot more.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

ikew View Post
Fat tails,

"They have over $ 1 billion under management, but maybe they are not great traders.

This is not trading its assests management...2% yearly....

"Toby Crabel has published a book in 1990 and some articles in the TASC magazine"

You may want to read this about the Toby's IB book....
TraderFeed: Toby Crabel And The Epistemology Of Trading Expertise

When you read it you may find that the IB system is not so simple as we see it here in this thread and have a lot behind it to make it work. A lot more.

Thanks for pointing to the Trader Feed post. I love those contributions of Brett. Ayn Rand is completely unknown in Europe. We usually refer to Popper and Kuhn. I guess I will get myself a book by Ayn Rand and read it.

I also agree with your statement that the IB system is not as simple as it is shown here. I am mainly interested in low volatility situations because they precede momentum moves. I use the Toby Crabel patterns, but also consecutive dojis that do not qualify. I then determine a preferred breakout direction based on other indicators and only take the trade, if it conforms to that direction. The low volatility is just a required part of the setup. Low volatiliy means low risk, and small losses if the trade goes wrong. I think that this is one of the secrets of successful trading.

By the way, I think that Crabel is trading part of the assets, as he mentions momentum and mean-reversion trades, but I do not know it.

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts