NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 253,466 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

shodson View Post
I'll try that. I usually roll-over around the 19th or 20th of the month for my testing. Does that sound reasonable to you other CL traders?

Use: Light Sweet Crude Oil

The best day to start trading the new month should be the day before the last trading day of the expiring contract.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
10 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
10 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Bookworm View Post
Use: Light Sweet Crude Oil

The best day to start trading the new month should be the day before the last trading day of the expiring contract.

We want to trade the most liquid month, so when the new month becomes more liquid that's when we change. one can trade a less liquid month but you're more likely to have slippage and violent price moves against your position.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

One way to confirm a 15 minute inside bar is a lower time frame........take for instance the first inside bar we had on Friday.......you will notice that a 1-2-3 reversal pattern had set up on the 5 minute chart.( See attached screen shots)

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10  10_29_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24831   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10  10_29_2010 (5 Min).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	24833  
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Let's take another look at how a 5 minute chart confirmed an inside bar on the 15 minute chart........

Thursday morning an inside bar developed.....you'll notice on the 5 minute chart that a double top was in place and we had divergence on the CCI.

I would encourage anyone interested in deciphering "good " inside bars from "bad" inside bars (15 min) to take a look at a 5 minute chart.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10  10_28_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	24860   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10  10_28_2010 (5 Min).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	24862  

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Just one more...........let's take a look at the 15 minute inside bar that developed on Wed afternoon.......you'll notice that a 1-2-3 reversal pattern on the 5 minute chart was great confirmation! Also the time of day was good as this is typically when you get the "push into the close."

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10  10_27_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	24864   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10  10_27_2010 (5 Min).jpg
Views:	304
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	24866  
Thanked by:

babypowder 
Brooklyn, NY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/IB/FinFx
Trading: ES, Forex
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 199

Jeff,
Great stuff can show an example on the small frame chart when the IB failed?

Thanks,
Babypowd3r

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

babypowder 
Brooklyn, NY

Experience: Beginner
Broker: Mirus/IB/FinFx
Trading: ES, Forex
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 199

Today I was in a trade then an IB formed helped move my stop. It dont go my way for -7 ticks but I quickly reversed in the break for +21. IB can also serve as caution signal if your in a middle of a trade.

Babypowd3r.

Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

babypowder View Post
Jeff,
Great stuff can show an example on the small frame chart when the IB failed?

Thanks,
Babypowd3r

Hey BP,

My observations concerning inside bars are NOT applicable to smaller time frames........also, it seems that CL exhibits the type of volitility that makes these inside bars more successful than they would be on other instruments. If you are interested in inside bars I suggest putting the Reversals indicator on your chart a studying a few months worth of data and note which ones work and which ones fail and try to determine why. Could be the time of day.....proximity to news events.....high level speeches etc......

Jeff

Thanked by:
 jitasb 
London, England

Broker: IB, Kinetic
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 226

cunparis View Post
I think entry triggers are great because we can relax a bit while waiting for the trigger and potentially monitor several markets. But once it triggers, in my opinion, discretion is required. The reason is it's very difficult to have an exit trigger. Many edges only have a few ticks net edge (many only have 1 tick net edge). If discretion can get an extra tick out of it then that can increase the profit by 50% (or double it).

I give you an example: When I scalp, I look to get as much as I can. But if price stops moving in my way I'm out. Sometimes I get a couple ticks and sometimes more. But I try not to let it come back to my entry.

Now if I tried to automate that I'd have to pick a target and that would be making a lot of sacrifices. Let's say the target is 8 ticks, market goes 6 ticks in my direction and then pulls back 3. I can get out with +3 ticks. An automated system would get out with 0 assuming a "breakeven stop" is triggered. Now let's say the market moves 12 ticks and then pulls back 2. I could get out with 10, once again beating the automated method.

I quit messing with automation for this reason. I remember back when I was backtesting another strategy with Jeff, I optimized and came up with an optimal target that was bigger than Jeff's +8/+16. I forget what it was but I told Jeff that it's better to wait for the "optimal" target. I don't remember his exact words but it was something like "just because it has hit that in the past doesn't mean that it'll continue doing so". Which turned out to be exactly right. Over the next few weeks the "optimal" wasn't optimal.

So to conclude, backtesting entries can be good to find entry triggers. But in my opinion, discretion should be used once in the trade.

I hope you found this post useful. I wish several years ago I had known this and spent my time learning to trade with discretion instead of programming & backtesting.

Completely agree.

Although it has it's place in terms of maybe giving an initial indication (a baseline if you like) of the sort of success/failure rate you could have and whether it is worth investigating further.

IMO backtesting manually yourself is a good way to go. I.E go back a number of months and start with start of the day on right edge and just watch the bar unfold as you go thru bar-by-bar. This way you can work out the success rate of your strategy, but in addition you can also add discretion as you are in effect sort of 'trading live'. You can also see the whole day as it unfolds and have an opinon on whether it is looking like a trend day, range etc etc..

An added advantage is that you are observing price action to improve your eye and it can be done outside market hours. It does take time though and you can spend countless hours watching bar-by-bar...but this is not wasted effort in my view, as it gives you screen time. I've spent tons of hours doing this over the past year or so, and it's tough to take when you begin to see how a favourite setup etc is not all you thought it would be and it has to be chucked away (at worst) or at the very least modified and tinkered with. Anyway, I'm digressing a bit.

Good thread though...I'll have a proper look thru when I get some time.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

jitasb View Post
IMO backtesting manually yourself is a good way to go. I.E go back a number of months and start with start of the day on right edge and just watch the bar unfold as you go thru bar-by-bar. This way you can work out the success rate of your strategy, but in addition you can also add discretion as you are in effect sort of 'trading live'. You can also see the whole day as it unfolds and have an opinon on whether it is looking like a trend day, range etc etc..

This is a great suggestion. I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours doing that too. It got harder with multiple timeframes and that's one reason for not using multiple timeframes.

I was just doing this this weekend and have a few pages of dates & trade results on it. All in preparation for Monday morning.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts